Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Pop Field (Part 2)

2020 Grammys: Pop Field (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 490 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +26 hidden )
replies
views
users
Darren
M
Boz
  • M
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes I meant that the screening committee could rule that it’s not really a “duet”.

It technically is a duet but I don’t know.

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

“I Don’t Care” would have to get the nomination first to even have a chance. Even then, I would place “Sucker” ahead of it, and this is coming from someone who thinks “Sucker” is being EXTREMELY overestimated and equivalent to “Havana”.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes I meant that the screening committee could rule that it’s not really a “duet”.

It technically is a duet but I don’t know.

It’s really not that different to 30-second rap features.

At worst, it would still be eligible in Pop Duo/Group Performance but only credited to Gaga, i.e. “Lady Gaga (& Bradley Cooper)” similarly to Big Hawk on “Sicko Mode”.

MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s really not that different to 30-second rap features. At worst, it would still be eligible in Pop Duo/Group Performance but only credited to Gaga, i.e. “Lady Gaga (& Bradley Cooper)” similarly to Big Hawk on “Sicko Mode”.

“Say It Right” by Nelly Furtado was nominated in Pop Female and it had officially a “ft. Timbaland”. I think if they somehow ignore Bradley, it will be nominated in Pop Solo.

MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

1. How exactly is “I Don’t Care” juvenile? It’s not an amazing or groundbreaking song, but it’s just a hyper-mainstream love song. You’ve said multiple times that it’s “childish” but I’m not following the logic. 2. Have you forgotten that they recently gave a Grammy in the pop field to a song from a children’s movie?

1. Hyper-mainstream songs are mostly juvenile. They appeal to younger audiences. Songs like that, with a heavy “teenage” flavour, struggle to win. Katy Perry’s songs, Blank Space, Bad Blood, Call Me Maybe, Shake It Off, All About That Bass, Fancy, Genie in a Bottle, Baby One More Time, You belong with me are all examples of that. Do you think it’s a coincidence or that they only lost just because the competition was better?

2. Happy was THE biggest hit of the year and one of the biggest in like, 10 years, something I Don’t Care is far from being. And it wouldn’t have won anything if they didn’t love the artist behind it. The same applies to Shape Of You. Considering that IDC is not huge and also has a “ft. Justin Bieber”, I don’t think it’s competitive for a win, unless they somehow want to compensate Ed for his past snubs(Divide on the GF and Perfect on the Pop Field).

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s really not that different to 30-second rap features.

At worst, it would still be eligible in Pop Duo/Group Performance but only credited to Gaga, i.e. “Lady Gaga (& Bradley Cooper)” similarly to Big Hawk on “Sicko Mode”.

No. A rap feature actually involves an artist doing *something*. It’s like if Ariana Grande submitted In My Head to Pop Duo and listed it as “In My Head feat. that dude that talks in the intro”. It’s category fraud, because it’s a clip from the movie. I know you’re a Gaga fan but even M can agree it’ll be fraud.

That said, pop voters seem to be whipped for Gaga so they’ll let it slide. I still think she should send the Extended Version to Pop Solo. It would be a fair submission, and she could still send one of the multiple duets she has with Bradley to Pop Duo. They’ll get in on name recognition alone.

na digga
    Participant
    Topics:

Pop solo can be ariana’s If she submits thank you next.
    Pop duo is going to go to dancing with a stranger or whatever random songs gets nominated.
    Pop album is anyone’s guess because we don’t know how they feel about Billie and they’ve always been iffy with Ariana but last year could have been a changing point. So it’s anyone’s game (minus Taylor) with Billie and Ariana at the front runners.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

The reason I think it’s best for them to enter “Always Remember Us This Way” in Pop Solo and “I’ll Never Love Again” in Pop DG is because those are the most popular songs from the movie that aren’t “Shallow”, and hence they’re more competitive. After those and “Maybe It’s Time”, it takes a sharp dip from there.

queenb
    Participant
    Topics:

“Say It Right” by Nelly Furtado was nominated in Pop Female and it had officially a “ft. Timbaland”. I think if they somehow ignore Bradley, it will be nominated in Pop Solo.

Huh? Timbaland was not credited on Say it Right. There was no “ft” on the album tracklist nor on spotify. He has a few lines but is not credited as a feature.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Nitpick against the screening panel, but Panic at the Disco should be competing in Pop Solo. It’s not really a band when you playoff most of the instruments yourself and only use session musicians on tour.

Why U So Obsessed?
    Participant
    Topics:

Get real! The Jonas Brothers have a legitimate shot at a Pop Duo/Group win.

1.) “Sucker” is STILL Top 10 even after debuting at #1.

2.) The album is one of the biggest selling of 2019.

3.) Their comeback has gotten a lot of buzz.

Sometimes a narrative will work in an artist’s favor. Especially in a weak year. So let’s not underestimate their potential just yet.

“The best way to make someone feel small, is to not say anything to them at all” —>clicks ignore button

Sheeow
    Participant
    Topics:

Jonas Brothers feels like what Maroon 5 was this year.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m really having a hard time seeing Bad Guy or Thank U Next winning Best Pop Solo Performance.

5 out of the past 8 winners of this category were ballads. Even the other 3 that were not ballads sounded sort of “traditional” and “safe”.

To me “Without Me” sounds the closest to the typical winner of this category. But if Gaga is nominated with one of her ballads, I can see her winning again. She’ll have to get the nomination first.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

“Royals”… traditional?

M
    Participant
    Topics:

“Royals”… traditional?

Yes the song is pretty ballad-esque. You can easily sing the song on a piano and it would sound similar.

Sure it has great lyrics. But traditional doesn’t necessarily mean bad. Let’s not pretend Royals isn’t a “safe” song. If it wasn’t and if it didn’t appeal to older voters, it wouldn’t have won SoTY.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  M.
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by  M.
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 490 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammys: Pop Field (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.