Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Pop Field (Part 2)

2020 Grammys: Pop Field (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 490 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +26 hidden )
replies
views
users
Darren
M
Boz
  • Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes the song is pretty ballad-esque. You can easily sing the song on a piano and it would sound similar.

Sure it has great lyrics. But traditional doesn’t necessarily mean bad. Let’s not pretend Royals isn’t a “safe” song. If it wasn’t and if it didn’t appeal to older voters, it wouldn’t have won SoTY.

“Royals” does not have the arrangement of a ballad. Many, if not all, pop songs could easily be translated to the piano, so I’m not sure what your point is.

And 3 of the 5 songs you mentioned were by Adele who is the definition of a Grammy darling. Had she entered “Rolling in the Deep” (which is not a ballad), she still would have won easily. Also, ballads don’t win the category by default, otherwise Bruno Mars would have won in 2014 instead of Lorde, Sam Smith or John Legend would have won in 2015 instead of Pharrell, and Kesha or Lady Gaga would have won in 2018 instead of Ed Sheeran.

You could also refer to Pop Duo/Group Performance where half the songs that won were uptempo.

Halsey is not winning; doesn’t matter that her song is a quasi-ballad.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

The whole point of Royals is that is wasn’t a “traditional” or “safe” song. That’s literally what the song’s about.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Not to mention, Billie Eilish is comparable to Lorde as they are both young, critically acclaimed pop stars with alternative appeal.

She’s to 2019 what Lorde was to 2013, only bigger.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

I like Billie but Bad Guy lyrics aren’t even comparable to Royals. They’re a lot more childish and generic. Royals on the other was a smartly written, socially-conscious song.

For now, I’m predicting a win for “Without Me” unless Gaga is nominated.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  M.
    • This reply was modified 5 months ago by  M.
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m still predicting Ariana (assuming Gaga doesn’t get a nod), with Halsey and Billie following by.

Shawn Mendes could also surprise but I don’t think so.

Hiroshi899
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope without me wins Pop Solo tbh. I wouldn’t be mad if Sucker, Sunflower, or Dancing with a stranger won Pop D/G. I think Thank U next, WWSWDWG, or Happiness Begins may win Pop Vocal.

na digga
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope without me wins Pop Solo tbh. I wouldn’t be mad if Sucker, Sunflower, or Dancing with a stranger won Pop D/G. I think Thank U next, WWSWDWG, or Happiness Begins may win Pop Vocal.

I’m sorry but the Jonas Brothers shouldn’t win a grammy. Multiple nominations yes. But win? No..like can we really imagine calling kevin Jonas a grammy winner next year?? Literally the most laziest musician winning a grammy because of his brothers hard work over the years to keep the Jonas name relevant. Winning over people like Ariana who despite having an extremely tough year put out two albums and went on tour

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

No..like can we really imagine calling kevin Jonas a grammy winner next year??

OMG what’s up with this Kevin Jonas slander?

chem_x
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m sorry but the Jonas Brothers shouldn’t win a grammy. Multiple nominations yes. But win? No..like can we really imagine calling kevin Jonas a grammy winner next year?? Literally the most laziest musician winning a grammy because of his brothers hard work over the years to keep the Jonas name relevant. Winning over people like Ariana who despite having an extremely tough year put out two albums and went on tour

Kevin is lazy because he chose to start a family and never wasted time on a non-starter solo career? You sound ridiculous. God forbid a star understands their relevancy/place in the industry.

No one forced Ariana to do those things and no one gets rewarded for personal difficulties alone. Too bad so sad.

MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

The whole point of Royals is that is wasn’t a “traditional” or “safe” song. That’s literally what the song’s about.

I agree with M. Royals is “traditional”, in a way. It’s not a dance or hip-hop influenced song, so it didn’t turn voters off.

MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

I like Billie but Bad Guy lyrics aren’t even comparable to Royals. They’re a lot more childish and generic. Royals on the other was a smartly written, socially-conscious song. For now, I’m predicting a win for “Without Me” unless Gaga is nominated.

Halsey isn’t winning because I doubt she has the star power/support needed to win a Grammy, regardless of quality.
    I believe Ariana will win this as a consolation prize for losing the rest of her categories. If she submits 7 Rings, she isn’t winning, but I don’t see bad guy winning anyway, it’s not a song the voters would like. Someone else is winning with a lesser hit. If Gaga won with Joanne Piano, that’s proof enough that when the category is weak, they’ll vote for an established artist. If nominated with anything, Gaga, Taylor, even Katy with NRO could win… lol

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m still predicting Ariana (assuming Gaga doesn’t get a nod

If Ariana’s chances to win are dependent on Gaga not getting a nomination, wouldn’t that mean… that Gaga is easily getting nominated? 💀

JDM
    Participant
    Topics:

You do realize that Bradley Cooper is a Grammy winner right?

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

If Ariana’s chances to win are dependent on Gaga not getting a nomination, wouldn’t that mean… that Gaga is easily getting nominated? 💀

No. It’ll all depend on how much love they show Gaga. I could see her being snubbed, but I could also see her winning the trophy.

GTFO
    Participant
    Topics:

Bradley is also winning at least 1 Grammy this year. He could win 1-3 Grammys this year. Best Soundtrack, AOTY, Best Pop Duo/Group Perf

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 490 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammys: Pop Field (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.