Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Pop Field (Part 2)

2020 Grammys: Pop Field (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 426 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
11 hours ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
DC95
M
Oz
  • na digga
    Participant
    Topics:

Pop solo can be ariana’s If she submits thank you next.
    Pop duo is going to go to dancing with a stranger or whatever random songs gets nominated.
    Pop album is anyone’s guess because we don’t know how they feel about Billie and they’ve always been iffy with Ariana but last year could have been a changing point. So it’s anyone’s game (minus Taylor) with Billie and Ariana at the front runners.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

The reason I think it’s best for them to enter “Always Remember Us This Way” in Pop Solo and “I’ll Never Love Again” in Pop DG is because those are the most popular songs from the movie that aren’t “Shallow”, and hence they’re more competitive. After those and “Maybe It’s Time”, it takes a sharp dip from there.

ReplyCopy URL
    queenb
    Participant
    Topics:

“Say It Right” by Nelly Furtado was nominated in Pop Female and it had officially a “ft. Timbaland”. I think if they somehow ignore Bradley, it will be nominated in Pop Solo.

Huh? Timbaland was not credited on Say it Right. There was no “ft” on the album tracklist nor on spotify. He has a few lines but is not credited as a feature.

ReplyCopy URL
    Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

Nitpick against the screening panel, but Panic at the Disco should be competing in Pop Solo. It’s not really a band when you playoff most of the instruments yourself and only use session musicians on tour.

ReplyCopy URL
    circa 1993
    Participant
    Topics:

Get real! The Jonas Brothers have a legitimate shot at a Pop Duo/Group win.

1.) “Sucker” is STILL Top 10 even after debuting at #1.

2.) The album is one of the biggest selling of 2019.

3.) Their comeback has gotten a lot of buzz.

Sometimes a narrative will work in an artist’s favor. Especially in a weak year. So let’s not underestimate their potential just yet.

ReplyCopy URL
    Sheeow
    Participant
    Topics:

Jonas Brothers feels like what Maroon 5 was this year.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m really having a hard time seeing Bad Guy or Thank U Next winning Best Pop Solo Performance.

5 out of the past 8 winners of this category were ballads. Even the other 3 that were not ballads sounded sort of “traditional” and “safe”.

To me “Without Me” sounds the closest to the typical winner of this category. But if Gaga is nominated with one of her ballads, I can see her winning again. She’ll have to get the nomination first.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

“Royals”… traditional?

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

“Royals”… traditional?

Yes the song is pretty ballad-esque. You can easily sing the song on a piano and it would sound similar.

Sure it has great lyrics. But traditional doesn’t necessarily mean bad. Let’s not pretend Royals isn’t a “safe” song. If it wasn’t and if it didn’t appeal to older voters, it wouldn’t have won SoTY.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  M.
    ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Yes the song is pretty ballad-esque. You can easily sing the song on a piano and it would sound similar.

Sure it has great lyrics. But traditional doesn’t necessarily mean bad. Let’s not pretend Royals isn’t a “safe” song. If it wasn’t and if it didn’t appeal to older voters, it wouldn’t have won SoTY.

“Royals” does not have the arrangement of a ballad. Many, if not all, pop songs could easily be translated to the piano, so I’m not sure what your point is.

And 3 of the 5 songs you mentioned were by Adele who is the definition of a Grammy darling. Had she entered “Rolling in the Deep” (which is not a ballad), she still would have won easily. Also, ballads don’t win the category by default, otherwise Bruno Mars would have won in 2014 instead of Lorde, Sam Smith or John Legend would have won in 2015 instead of Pharrell, and Kesha or Lady Gaga would have won in 2018 instead of Ed Sheeran.

You could also refer to Pop Duo/Group Performance where half the songs that won were uptempo.

Halsey is not winning; doesn’t matter that her song is a quasi-ballad.

ReplyCopy URL
    Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

The whole point of Royals is that is wasn’t a “traditional” or “safe” song. That’s literally what the song’s about.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Not to mention, Billie Eilish is comparable to Lorde as they are both young, critically acclaimed pop stars with alternative appeal.

She’s to 2019 what Lorde was to 2013, only bigger.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

I like Billie but Bad Guy lyrics aren’t even comparable to Royals. They’re a lot more childish and generic. Royals on the other was a smartly written, socially-conscious song.

For now, I’m predicting a win for “Without Me” unless Gaga is nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m still predicting Ariana (assuming Gaga doesn’t get a nod), with Halsey and Billie following by.

Shawn Mendes could also surprise but I don’t think so.

ReplyCopy URL
    Hiroshi899
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope without me wins Pop Solo tbh. I wouldn’t be mad if Sucker, Sunflower, or Dancing with a stranger won Pop D/G. I think Thank U next, WWSWDWG, or Happiness Begins may win Pop Vocal.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 426 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.