Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Pop Field (Part 2)

2020 Grammys: Pop Field (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 481 through 490 (of 490 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +26 hidden )
replies
views
users
Darren
M
Boz
  • John_White38
    Participant
    Topics:

“Find U Again” and “Nothing Breaks Like a Heart” would probably both be considered pop by the Grammys.

Find U Again might sneak into Dance Recording like Electricity did last year.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Find U Again might sneak into Dance Recording like Electricity did last year.

“Electricity” has a traditional house arrangement and was expected to compete in the dance field.

“Find U Again” is a synth-heavy pop song.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

That said, his album should be in contention for Pop Vocal. The pop field usually has one or two “wtf” nominees and he could be one of them.

abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

That said, his album should be in contention for Pop Vocal. The pop field usually has one or two “wtf” nominees and he could be one of them.

True, however I find it almost impossible that an album that didn’t even crack the top 60 on Billboard makes it into the Pop field.

reputationsgrammy
    Participant
    Topics:

I know this is a complete crack dream, but does anyone else really hope to see Sigrid represented somewhere in the Pop Field? I recently got into Sucker Punch, and was completely blown away by it. Definitely Top 5 albums of the year for me.

I would also love to see “Strangers,” “Don’t Feel Like Crying,” or “Mine Right Now,” get some love. Not expecting any of them too, but the first two were moderately popular so I don’t think it’s COMPLETELY impossible.

I think the only thing holding her back is voters straight up not knowing about her, which is a shame. I hope to get proved wrong, because I think she deserves more than most people currently in the conversation.

delusional swifties grab back! women grab back!

reputationsgrammy
    Participant
    Topics:

Current Predictions: July

Pop Vocal Album

Thank U, Next – Ariana Grande
    Lover – Taylor Swift
    When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go? – Billie Eilish
    Hurts 2B Human – P!nk
    Free Spirit – Khalid

Pop Vocal Performance

“Thank U, Next” – Ariana Grande
    “Without Me” – Halsey
    “Never Really Over” – Katy Perry
    “If I Can’t Have You” – Shawn Mendes
    “Bad Guy” – Billie Eilish

Pop Duo/Group Performance 

“Dancing With A Stranger” – Sam Smith, Normani
    “Señorita” – Shawn Mendes, Camila Cabello
    “Sucker” – The Jonas Brothers
    “ME!” – Taylor Swift, Brendon Urie (Only because it’s a weak year)
    “I Don’t Care” – Ed Sheeran, Justin Bieber

delusional swifties grab back! women grab back!

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

True, however I find it almost impossible that an album that didn’t even crack the top 60 on Billboard makes it into the Pop field.

That is true, but at the same time, last year we had two non-hits (like they didn’t even chart) on Pop duo and Pop Solo. They seem to like older acts.

dan
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Señorita is getting nominated. The song is not good, the success isn’t organic and I really think they’ll think that Shawn and Havana were already “rewarded” with their previous noms this year. Actually you get a hit when your song is full of whispers, you have crazy amounts of Spotify payola, and both singers pretend to be dating right after the song is released. The generic “La La” and “Na Na” lyrics wouldn’t work without all of that.

https://www.bworldonline.com/spotify-says-no-to-payola-on-its-playlists/

MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

https://www.bworldonline.com/spotify-says-no-to-payola-on-its-playlists/

If they say so, it must be true. hahaha

MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

I know this is a complete crack dream, but does anyone else really hope to see Sigrid represented somewhere in the Pop Field? I recently got into Sucker Punch, and was completely blown away by it. Definitely Top 5 albums of the year for me. I would also love to see “Strangers,” “Don’t Feel Like Crying,” or “Mine Right Now,” get some love. Not expecting any of them too, but the first two were moderately popular so I don’t think it’s COMPLETELY impossible. I think the only thing holding her back is voters straight up not knowing about her, which is a shame. I hope to get proved wrong, because I think she deserves more than most people currently in the conversation.

It’s not happening. Pop Vocal Album only has surprises like that when it’s an veteran artist, and the last time it happened was in 2016(James Taylor).
    Critically acclaimed new acts like Sigrid and Troye Sivan are always ignored, even Lorde was and she had okay sales and a great Grammy history(2 wins, 1 for Song of the Year). And the same happens with the Pop categories in general.

Viewing 10 posts - 481 through 490 (of 490 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammys: Pop Field (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.