Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Pop Field (Part 2)

2020 Grammys: Pop Field (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 490 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +26 hidden )
replies
views
users
Darren
M
Boz
  • Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie probably wont even submit Bad Guy to Pop Solo. But if its Bad Buy vs 7 Rings.. I’d say Bad Guy has the advantage.

What would make you assume this?

Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

What would make you assume this?

IDK she seems like the type that would submit based on artistic integrity over what’s popular. Honestly wouldn’t be surprised when the submission list comes out and she went with “When the Party’s Over” across the board. But I think she’s in a position where she’ll get in no matter what she submits.

24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

After listening to it and seeing that it will have a massive #1 debut next week, I think I’m now onboard with the thinking that Jonas Brothers are getting into Pop Vocal Album (in addition to Pop Duo/Group for “Sucker”).

Predictions for now…

Pop Solo:
    1) Billie Eilish – “Bad Guy”
    2) Halsey – “Without Me”
    3) Lewis Capaldi – “Someone You Loved”
    4) Ariana Grande – “Thank U, Next”
    5) Katy Perry – “Never Really Over”
    6) Khalid – “Talk” (if submitted)

Pop Duo:
    1) Post Malone & Swae Lee – “Sunflower” (if submitted here and not Rap/Sung)
    2) Jonas Brothers – “Sucker”
    3) Sam Smith & Normani – “Dancing with a Stranger”
    4) Panic! At the Disco – “Hey! Look Ma, I Made It”
    5) Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber – “I Don’t Care”
    6) P!nk featuring Chris Stapleton – “Love Me Anyway”

7) Lil Nas X & Billy Ray Cyrus – “Old Town Road” (if submitted here… but I assume Rap/Sung)

Would love to see BTS x Halsey but I don’t think that will happen.

Pop Album:
    1) Billie Eilish
    2) Ariana Grande
    3) Jonas Brothers
    4) P!nk
    5) Ben Platt

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Ben Platt getting a nomination over Ed Sheeran is not realistic, and there are other artists waiting in the wings to fill out that last spot who are more likely.

Also, there is no way Lady Gaga is being passed over in the pop field. She just won Pop Solo and Pop Duo/Group Performance this past year and has one of the biggest albums of the year.

na digga
    Participant
    Topics:

Pop solo:
    •thank you next – Ariana Grande
    •without me – Hasley
    •bad guy – Billie Eilish
    •talk – Khalid
    •walk me home – P!nk

Pop duo/group:
    •Sunflower – Post Malone & Swae lee
    •Dancing with a Stranger – Sam Smith & Normani
    •Sucker – Jonas Brothers
    •Nothing Breaks like a Heart – Mark Ronson featuring Miley Cyrus
    •Hey Look Ma, I Made It – Panic ! At the Disco
    •lion king (TBA) – Beyonce & Childish Gambino
    •Love Me Anyway – P!nk featuring Chris Stapleton

Pop vocal album:
    •Ariana Grande
    •Billie Eilish
    •P!nk
    •Bts
    •Lizzo
    •Jonas Brothers

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo won’t be in Pop. Urban Contemporary would be the obvious choice. I don’t know who came up with this theory.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo could go either way. I think Cuz I Love You will most likely compete in Best Urban Contemporary Album, but it does lean a little more to the pop side and could be placed in Best Pop Vocal Album instead.

Khalid is 50/50. He is more likely than Lizzo to end up in Pop Vocal Album (where he should be, in my opinion) but I wouldn’t be surprised by either call.

abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah, I agree with M. Would be very surprised if Lizzo ends up in pop.

Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo won’t be in Pop. Urban Contemporary would be the obvious choice. I don’t know who came up with this theory.

Cuz I Love You is a Pop album.

Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s not one R&B song on “Cuz AJ love you”. It’s all pop songs with a hip hop twist or element. Thank u, next is more R&B than it if we were supposed to get technical. Just because Lizzo is black and dark skinned doesn’t necessarily means she has to be R&B.

Khalid should go Urban Contemporary. Better in the R&B categories. Talk to pop solo and the general field.

24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

Ben Platt getting a nomination over Ed Sheeran is not realistic, and there are other artists waiting in the wings to fill out that last spot who are more likely.

Also, there is no way Lady Gaga is being passed over in the pop field. She just won Pop Solo and Pop Duo/Group Performance this past year and has one of the biggest albums of the year.

Who are the other contenders “waiting in the wings to fill out that last spot”? Just curious… I couldn’t think of any serious candidates (from albums that have already been released anyway).

Ben Platt is a Grammy Award-winning artist and highly respected in the entertainment industry (film, television, theatre and music), so it’s not exactly farfetched to think he could score a nom for his debut album.

I didn’t consider Ed because his album is not out yet and it seems to be more of an experimental EP/mixtape situation filled with collabs. Even though the Grammys love him, the voters might not go for this particular project.

As for Gaga, I disagree. I believe 100% she will be passed over in the Pop field (unless she releases new music). She was honored twice last year (including for A Star is Born’s biggest hit) and has had no hit singles since then. Voters won’t feel the need to honor her again for another non-hit. She was last year’s news.

The One And Only of Gold Derby.
    Participant
    Topics:

Best Pop Album: thank u next vs when we all fall asleep where do we go vs lover

That is the truth.

No exceptions.

A Rival To Thatcher’s Reign.

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

“Talk” is more of an R&B song than “Better.”

And Cuz I Love You would be an acceptable placement in Urban Contemporary Album. Her songs having a “Hip Hop” twist works in its favor, not against it.

na digga
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s be real. The only reason Lizzo would be submitted to urban instead of pop is racism. Idc how many “hip hop” elements the album has, its an overall pop album. Ariana will be nominated in pop. “Thank you, next” is an r&b album with hip hop and pop elements. Had Rihanna released the same album it would be nominated in urban contemporary. There’s no reason “thank you, next” should be nominated in pop and “cuz I love you” shouldn’t.

Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

“Truth Hurts” doesn’t matter how Hip Hop it is.. is a POP song. It’s no different than Kesha rapping her verses to Tik Tok or Fergie’s songs.

If you can tell me one R&B song on Cuz I Love You I could say you had a case but there is literally none.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 490 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammys: Pop Field (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.