Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Pop Field (Part 2)

2020 Grammys: Pop Field (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 373 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 mins ago
replies
views
users
DC95
M
Oz
  • Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

“Truth Hurts” doesn’t matter how Hip Hop it is.. is a POP song. It’s no different than Kesha rapping her verses to Tik Tok or Fergie’s songs.

If you can tell me one R&B song on Cuz I Love You I could say you had a case but there is literally none.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Overall, the placement will depend on whether the screening committee sees it as an R&B album influenced by pop, or a pop album influenced by R&B. I personally would say it’s the latter, but I’m not going to try and predict where the Grammys will put it.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Not every album in Urban Contemporary is “R&B,” though.

ReplyCopy URL
    TheRedBoy
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo and Khalid will need to be careful with their genre placements. We don’t want a repeat of A Seat At the Table, Dirty Computer, and Black Panther not getting nominated because they went to the wrong place.

ReplyCopy URL
    abelfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo and Khalid will need to be careful with their genre placements. We don’t want a repeat of A Seat At the Table, Dirty Computer, and Black Panther not getting nominated because they went to the wrong place.

How were DC & BP in the wrong place? Their placements were fine.

ReplyCopy URL
    Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

Dirty Computer was submitted to urban contemporary. Where was it supposed to go?

ReplyCopy URL
    Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

Ben Platt is respected in the industry, and he’s almost an EGOT holder. I don’t have him in my predictions but he could surprise; last year was full of surprises in Pop.

As for Lizzo and Khalid, I feel like they could go either way, specially Lizzo. However, I think they’ll end up Urban. Anywhere they get slotted, they’ll get a nom.

They also have a pretty good oportunity to submit songs. Lizzo can submit Tempo to Rap/Sung, Truth Hurts to Pop or to Rap/Sung, and Juice to Pop or to R&B. And Khalid can submit Better to Pop and Talk to R&B or viceversa.

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

Ben Platt is respected in theater circles but he doesn’t have the top 40 commercial appeal that is almost necessary to get nominated in the pop categories. John Legend is full EGOT and has recently missed nominations in the pop field, so I’m not sure why EGT would help the far less well known Platt.

And with Billie Eilish, Ariana Grande, the Jonas Brothers, P!nk, Ed Sheeran, Taylor Swift, and others all vying for nominations, there’s just not room. Maybe in a less competitive year he would be a possibility.

ReplyCopy URL
    TheRedBoy
    Participant
    Topics:

Dirty Computer was submitted to urban contemporary. Where was it supposed to go?

I thought it was submitted to R&B rather than UC. My bad!

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Dirty Computer could have been placed in Pop Vocal Album as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Dishaa13
    Participant
    Topics:

POP VOCAL ALBUM is between wwafa,wdwg thank u, next and lover thats for sure

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus.H
    Participant
    Topics:

Lady Gaga is definitely going to miss out on Pop nominations this cycle. The hype from A Star Is Born has died down. She got her rewards last year.

Well…..but these new songs are not that good as we expected.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bernardo Rojas
    Participant
    Topics:

POP VOCAL ALBUM is between wwafa,wdwg thank u, next and lover thats for sure

lover has no chance against those 2

ReplyCopy URL
    DC95
    Participant
    Topics:

After the way Reputation bombed with voters and only got one nomination, I wouldn’t be surprised if Lover was passed over in Best Pop Vocal Album entirely. I’m not predicting that but it wouldn’t shock me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Oz
    Participant
    Topics:

Lover is definitely a hard lock for Best Children’s Album.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 373 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.