Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 10)

2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 10)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 539 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
M
Oblivion
Babygirl
  • Profile picture
    deshunfenty
    Topics:

Funny she’s seating next to 2 Ppl who produced her albums
    Jack – NFR!
    Dan – Ultraviolence

#howrudeofme

Profile picture
    NASA
    Topics:

Why is Ellen seated in the first row? Will they televise Best Comedy Album (that’s the name, I believe)?

Profile picture
    deshunfenty
    Topics:

Why is Ellen seated in the first row? Will they televise Best Comedy Album (that’s the name, I believe)?

They could be . Just like they did with Dave Chappelle

#howrudeofme

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

The downside of disbanding committees is that the popular stuff will always have the upperhand because voters are too lazy to really analyze those lists, and I’m sure of it. And the Grammys always talk about how it’s not about what’s popular and how it separates itself from the AMAs and Billboard Awards.

I would also love to see the day the Academy gets rid of committees, but that is also the same day I would like to believe the voters’ aren’t name-checking and are actually familiar with something other than what was #1 for five weeks last summer. I can’t expect the voters to listen to every song or album and make an unbiased decision, so getting those long lists down to about 20 and picking from that is probably the best thing to avoid name-checks.

What I do suggest is maybe having two rounds of voting for nominations. The Academy can actually vote for what’s in the top 20 without a committee getting involved. I would prefer ranked voting for that round. Or if there is a committee involved, ranked voting can take place there.

I’ve always thought that preferential voting was something they should do instead of a straight vote. I also think the Committee should stay because while there have been huge snubs that should not have happened (Kanye for MBDTF), they’ve also had some inspired nominees there that have replaced the expected mediocre ones (4:44 instead of Divide).

But like I said, what needs to change are the voters. The majority should NOT be 60+ year old white men who have a deep-rooted mindset on what they think “real music” is, have an automatic bias against anyone that isn’t rock or pop (or pop-adjacent), and do several schemes that buy into bribing and fucking up the nomination process.

They give off the illusion of being progressive and objective but they are anything but. We need younger, more diverse group of voters who are more open-minded. Thats what needs to happen. Ditto the Oscars and Emmys.

Profile picture
    Sheeow
    Topics:

Prayer circles once again that Norman Fucking Rockwell! wins Album of the Year and Always Remember Us This Way wins Song of the Year.

Profile picture
    bctdocinha
    Topics:

2 days!

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Funny she’s seating next to 2 Ppl who produced her albums
    Jack – NFR!
    Dan – Ultraviolence

Seating her next to Jack is not an accident; he’s nominated alongside her in both her categories

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Back in 2010, Taylor Swift and Beyoncé beat each other in the general field, and Beyoncé and Kings of Leon split ROTY and SOTY.

Completely different situation. “Single Ladies” was a massive, culture-defining song that was leagues bigger than “You Belong With Me” while Taylor had the bestselling album and the momentum from Kanyegate. Beyoncé also had a different submission in ROTY and SOTY; “Single Ladies” likely would have won ROTY as well.

Profile picture
    PoweR
    Topics:

Completely different situation. “Single Ladies” was a massive, culture-defining song that was leagues bigger than “You Belong With Me” while Taylor had the bestselling album and the momentum from Kanyegate. Beyoncé also had a different submission in ROTY and SOTY; “Single Ladies” likely would have won ROTY as well.

And Lizzo and Billie Eilish both got massive love last year and are nominated all over the place. They are similar situations, so my point stands.

Profile picture
    emba
    Topics:

Are seating arrangements usually indicative of the winners? I can’t remember that ever being the case in the past.

Why are people saying Ariana is in the first row? She’s next to Jesse St John who is sitting second row next to Little Big Town, behind Shawn and Camila.

https://headlineplanet.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Grammy-Seat-Cards-11.jpg

Profile picture
    PoweR
    Topics:

Are seating arrangements usually indicative of the winners? I can’t remember that ever being the case in the past.

Why are people saying Ariana is in the first row? She’s next to Jesse St John who is sitting second row next to Little Big Town, behind Shawn and Camila.

No, and she’s probably in the first row which merges into the second row.

Profile picture
    emba
    Topics:

No, and she’s probably in the first row which merges into the second row.

If you click on the link you can see her card in the second row:

https://headlineplanet.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/Grammy-Seat-Cards-11.jpg

Unless you mean there’s a shorter row in front?

Profile picture
    PoweR
    Topics:

Someone mentioned upsets in an older thread. I want to see an upset like this:

In a televised Best Male R&B Vocal Performance at the 2005 Grammy Awards, the Icon Prince won. Every pundit and everyone on Gold Derby predicted Usher. Prince wasn’t in attendance to accept the Grammy. I hope we get an unexpected winner like that on Sunday.

Prince was a shocker, but he had to be the runner up for most pundits. He had a successful comeback that year and was the vet of the category.

Profile picture
    Wanda
    Topics:

Someone mentioned upsets in an older thread. I want to see an upset like this:

In a televised Best Male R&B Vocal Performance at the 2005 Grammy Awards, the Icon Prince won. Every pundit and everyone on Gold Derby predicted Usher. Prince wasn’t in attendance to accept the Grammy. I hope we get an unexpected winner like that on Sunday.

How old are you

Last.fm: https://www.last.fm/es/user/Into_You
    https://letterboxd.com/cherry123/

Profile picture
    PoweR
    Topics:

If you click on the link you can see her card in the second row:

Unless you mean there’s a shorter row in front?

There’s like a row that has nothing in front of it, but it merges into the second row. That’s probably one of those.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 539 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 10)’ is closed to new replies.