Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 2)

2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 544 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
PoweR
Babygirl
M
  • Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

And it’s beyond sexist to credit her brother with all of her artistry.

How is that sexism?

fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

So let’s not pretend that voters make their picks without letting their personal perceptions of the artists bias them.

Billie Eilish walks around in her giant mongram LV, Gucci, Chanel everything looking like some xanned out rapper with her eyes all red. Head to toe burberry plaid, logos on every part of her body looking like a giant billboard for some luxury brand literally 90% of the time. Like she has style, but she also looks like a clown and in this era of massive wealth inequality and concentration of wealth, she doesn’t exactly come off as humble or down to earth.

Then her lyrics she talks like she is such a victim and her life is so hard “I had a dream/I got everything I wanted/It’s not what it seems/and if I’m being honest/it might have been a nightmare”.

then she goes on to sing “Nobody cried/Nobody even noticed/I saw them standing right there/Kinda thought they might care”. As much as I like this song, it is SO FUCKING CRINGEY to sing about how your life is a nightmare while you are dripping in Louis Vuitton, and how nobody is noticing you while literally the entire world notices you!!!!!

As much of an impact her music has had this year, she is cringey af and she will rub some voters the wrong way.

daniellbp
    Participant
    Topics:

Was it 2010 with Halo (Live) the last time Beyoncé was competing in the Pop Field?

I think she could be a surprise in Pop Solo. I wouldn’t count her out just yet.

deshunfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Was it 2010 with Halo (Live) the last time Beyoncé was competing in the Pop Field?

I think she could be a surprise in Pop Solo. I wouldn’t count her out just yet.

Hold Up was on Pop Solo in 2017

#howrudeofme

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

How is that sexism?

When she co-writes the vast majority of her music, and someone gives all the credit for how good it is to her male writing partner, that’s pretty sexist.

fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

I think everyone knows that Finneas is the mastermind behind Billie Elish. Billie Eilish was born when Finneas had her sing Ocean Eyes, the song he had written for himself to perform, and Finneas decided that she would be his vocalist and public face. I don’t think that’s sexist to say because I would say the same thing about male artists like Justin Bieber, Jonas Brothers, etc. who kind of just ride the fame wave and have a team do 99+% of their songwriting and production.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

When she co-writes the vast majority of her music, and someone gives all the credit for how good it is to her male writing partner, that’s pretty sexist.

Not really. No one is saying it because she’s a woman, nor does her gender plays an important role here.

While I don’t agree that Billie’s whole artistic persona is Finneas’ idea, it’s pretty obvious that he plays a huge factor in her career. He writes (sometimes as the sole writer) and produces all of her music, and he’s mostly the one with the “innovative” ideas behind her production. Plus, it’s no coincidence that her best songs are the ones solely by him.

That said, a good writer is worthless if the singer isn’t interesting. Billie Eilish’s music is pretty much her. She’s the key factor to her own success.

kenboi99
    Participant
    Topics:

they give credit to the partner. The partners gender is irrelevant

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie winning SOTY would be a big fuck you to those who dragged her for her “lack” of songwriting so I’d love to see that happen.

Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that Reacts by Ash is better than Ajayll, but that’s just me. I love them both, though.

Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie winning SOTY would be a big fuck you to those who dragged her for her “lack” of songwriting so I’d love to see that happen.

Jesus Christ shut up already. You sound just as annoying as the idiots who dragged her for her “lack” of songwriting.

Oscars FYC.

Parasite — Best Picture, Original Screenplay, Film Editing
    Bong Joon Ho — Best Director
    Florence Pugh — Best Supporting Actress
    Charlize Theron — Best Actress
    Avengers Endgame — Visual Effects
    JoJo Rabbit — Adapted Screenplay

M
    Participant
    Topics:

You’re not psychic so you don’t know how long she’s going to remain successful. And it’s beyond sexist to credit her brother with all of her artistry. They SHARE writing credit on almost all of her songs. Saying he’s the creative force behind her music is like saying Lady Gaga isn’t the force behind hers, but RedOne, Mark Ronson, and all of the other people she works with are. There are plenty of artists who largely work with one or a few collaborators and no one questions their writing ability. See: Lennon/McCartney, Eminem (and Dr. Dre), Taylor Swift (and Nathan Chapman, Max Martin, Jack Antonoff), etc

Lady Gaga is different. She was a known songwriter before becoming a pop star. Her biggest hits are mainly hits because of the melodies and lyrics she wrote. No one had a bigger role than she did, in her work. And the best proof of that, is that producers came and went, she continued to have hits. She even had fully self-written hits.

Billie’s biggest hit Bad Guy, relies overly on the instrumental hook which was produced by her brother. It wouldn’t have been a hit without it. Her second biggest hit WTPIO, is entirely written by her brother. So that’s why I said he seems to have the biggest part in the songs. It’s not about gender.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  M.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by  M.
    Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

What separates Billie from the other alt-pop girls is her production, which makes up for most of her appeal. It’s unique, and very gen-z friendly. It’s not far fetched to credit Finneas with at least being a big part in her success.

However, Billie IS the artist, and nothing works without HER voice and HER personality. She sells the image.

Oscars FYC.

Parasite — Best Picture, Original Screenplay, Film Editing
    Bong Joon Ho — Best Director
    Florence Pugh — Best Supporting Actress
    Charlize Theron — Best Actress
    Avengers Endgame — Visual Effects
    JoJo Rabbit — Adapted Screenplay

ayanami
    Participant
    Topics:

You’re not psychic so you don’t know how long she’s going to remain successful.

Darren, don’t you know M is the second coming of Raven Baxter? Everything he just said is a prophecy.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Also when I said “creative force” I meant songwriting and producing.

I can’t care less about “image” and “personality”. Those things won’t matter if people don’t like your music in the first place.

You guys act like the general public sits down and watches Billie’s interviews. Ordinary people (excluding stans) don’t have that much time on their hands. People know her for her music, not personality.

So in order for her to remain relevant in future years, she really needs to take more control of the creative process. So far she doesn’t seem to be the main songwriter of her songs. And she isn’t a producer/instrumentalist either.

Now if you’re Ariana Grande or Beyoncé you can get away with that, because you have a wide range and versatile voice. But Billie, probably not. She needs songs specifically tailored to her. And her brother seems to be the best at providing them.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 544 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.