Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 2)

2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 544 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
PoweR
Babygirl
M
  • PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Album of the Year is usually the category that produces the biggest upset of any of the general field categories. I can see it definitely going elsewhere if the Grammys want to avoid a complete Billie dominance.

The closest new artist in recent history to a complete sweep was Amy Winehouse, and that was in 2008. The voters threw a major curveball with the Herbie Hancock win.

deshunfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Hopefully they’ll go out the box with an AOTY winner. Playing it safe is so underwhelming, predictable, and disappointing.

Hopefully, Billie wins.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  deshunfenty.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by  deshunfenty.

#howrudeofme

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

The closest new artist in recent history to a complete sweep was Amy Winehouse, and that was in 2008. The voters threw a major curveball with the Herbie Hancock win.

Jazz is super baity with Grammy voters, though, and Hancock was an industry vet. Nothing really like that this year. A Vampire Weekend/Bon Iver win would be more comparable to Arcade Fire upsetting Eminem and Lady Antebellum.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Hopefully they’ll go out the box with an AOTY winner. Playing it safe is so underwhelming, predictable, and disappointing.

VW winning wouldn’t be playing it safe, not many would expect it and it would get a lot of people fuming actually.

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Hopefully, Billie wins.

Billie would be just as predictable. An out of the box win without being too offensive would be Lana Del Rey, H.E.R. or even Lizzo.

Are we underestimating the massive acclaim of that Lana album just because she got no genre nominations?

deshunfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie would be just as predictable. And out of the box win without being too offensive would be Lana Del Rey, H.E.R. or even Lizzo.

Are we underestimating the massive acclaim of that Lana album just because she got no genre nominations?

Personally. I want Lana to win she really deserves it but idk her chances are slim . I still have her as a surprise pick. I would be shocked if she did managed to win.

#howrudeofme

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie would be just as predictable. And out of the box win without being too offensive would be Lana Del Rey, H.E.R. or even Lizzo.

It hurts that she’s competing against two nominees who DID get nominations in Best Pop Vocal Album. Besides, there are other representatives for alternative (Billie, Bon Iver, Vampire Weekend), and for singer-songwriters (Billie, H.E.R.).

ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

The other albums in contention don’t have a song as good as 2021 so

Lana has the better of the songs off her album. Fuck It I Love You as well as California, Venice Bitch, Mariners Apartment Complex, and the title track are standouts. I Love You is one of my favorite songs by Billie Eilish. All of Ariana Grande songs slap off her latest album. And Juice and Soulmate are really great pop songs off her latest album. 2021 by Vampire Weekend is alright. It cashes out in 2 minutes, and really doesn’t really add anything to the record. Although I really do like Harmony Hall as well as Stranger, Sympathy and This Life. Other songs feel really bland, especially the Danielle Haim and Steve Lacey.

Barnacles Bro

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Jack Antonoff also got into Producer of the Year, so that album is not totally without support. Ricky Reed is also up for Producer of the Year, so that’s additional support for Lizzo.

H.E.R., while one of the least likely artists to win, is the only artist here who was previously nominated for AOTY.

I feel like the votes for AOTY will be all over the place.

deshunfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

She probably wasn’t gonna get pop support either way. The album isn’t majority pop. The album is more Alternative & Rock than anything but the genre screening committee label her as a pop artist and it’s annoying but expected.

#howrudeofme

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I really can’t see Lana winning with the lack of genre nomination support.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

She probably wasn’t gonna get pop support either way. The album isn’t majority pop. The album is more Alternative & Rock than anything but the genre screening committee label her as a pop artist and it’s annoying but expected.

She got in pop vocal album for Paradise and LFL.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

5 of the other nominees were critically acclaimed too, so it’s hard to see Lana having an advantage for that reason.

ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

For those supporting Vampire Weekend, please listen to Contra or the self titled. Those are the better Vampire Weekend albums.

Barnacles Bro

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

She got in pop vocal album for Paradise and LFL.

Yep. She gets in that category in less competitive years. In years like this one where there was more competition (Ariana, Billie, Ed, Taylor, Jonas Brothers, P!nk, and – who knew? – Beyoncé), she struggles.

Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 544 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.