Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 3)

2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 529 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
M
Darren
Oblivion
  • Oblivion
    Participant
    Topics:

I really wonder why TUN was shut out of SOTY…it really deserved a nomination. The whole world was shook and you’d hear random people on the street say ”thank u, next” when it came out.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana’s best case scenario (at least realistically) is repeating in Pop Vocal Album which she can do if voters are simply not that excited about Billie (if she wins that, she could also be competitive for AoTY).

If voters don’t like Billie that much, I think Lizzo will win Pop Solo Performance.

The biggest and most important precursor this year is Best Pop Solo Performance, assuming they don’t televise it.

I reall think that if Lizzo wins that, she’s going to win BNA and potentially SoTY. And Billie really can’t win AoTY without winning Pop Solo first this year.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  M.
    Oblivion
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana would have had Best Pop Solo on lock had her team submitted TUN instead of 7 rings, just like she would have had it last year had her team submitted NTLTC instead of GIAW.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

I really wonder why TUN was shut out of SOTY…it really deserved a nomination. The whole world was shook and you’d hear random people on the street say ”thank u, next” when it came out.

I mean when the leak happened and I looked up TUN songwriters only to realize they weren’t nominated, I still refused to change my prediction just because of how big of a snub that would be.

I really didn’t expect them to shut out TUN. It doesn’t have the best lyrics, but then you have Bad Guy nominated, which has worse lyrics, and Truth Hurts isn’t that great either (I love the song but lyrically it’s not better).

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I reall think that if Lizzo wins that, she’s going to win BNA and potentially SoTY. And Billie really can’t win AoTY without winning Pop Solo first this year.

Maybe, maybe not.

I know this isn’t the rule, but Maroon 5 lost Pop Duo/Group to Los Lonely Boys, but won BNA over them in 2005. So, they may feel that one song has the better performance, while they feel one artist provided the better body of work. The Grammys are weird like that.

I still think Billie Eilish is the frontrunner for BNA, but Lizzo’s crossover success at Pop radio definitely makes her competitive.

Oblivion
    Participant
    Topics:

I mean when the leak happened and I looked up TUN songwriters only to realize they weren’t nominated, I still refused to change my prediction just because of how big of a snub that would be. I really didn’t expect them to shut out TUN. It doesn’t have the best lyrics, but then you have Bad Guy nominated, which has worse lyrics, and Truth Hurts isn’t that great either (I love the song but lyrically it’s not better).

Almost everyone had it in their Top 3 during nomination predictions and I was pretty certain she would win that one only to find out she’s not even nominated So weird. It definitely had the most iconic lyrics this period and they’re still very good although they’re simple in my opinion. Part of me thinks she was super popular with voters so that the BRP shut her out to prevent a sweep. But that’s probably just my wishful thinking lmao

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe, maybe not.

I know this isn’t the rule, but Maroon 5 lost Pop Duo/Group to Los Lonely Boys, but won BNA over them in 2005. So, they may feel that one song has the better performance, while they feel one artist provided the best body of work as an artist. The Grammys are weird like that.

I still think Billie Eilish is the frontrunner for BNA, but Lizzo’s crossover success at Pop radio definitely makes her competitive.

I feel Pop Solo is basically Billie’s “friendly” territory. So if Lizzo beats her on her own turf, I think it’s a big overperformance that may indicate that she’s poised to get some big wins in the GF, considering that she’ll benefit even more from R&B and Urban vote there.

JustGuy89
    Participant
    Topics:

Lol. The sound of music. Y’all are truly mind fucked. Don’t nobody care about that shit.

Lotus
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana ain’t happening in ROTY and Pop Solo.  Her snub in SOTY makes perfect sense.  The lyrics to “Thank U, Next” are atrocious.

Savagtz
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe, maybe not. I know this isn’t the rule, but Maroon 5 lost Pop Duo/Group to Los Lonely Boys, but won BNA over them in 2005. 

Or more unpredictably, ’19’ failed to nominated in Pop Album, ‘Rockferry’ won and eventually Adele won the BNA over Duffy in 2009.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Or more unpredictably, ’19’ failed to nominated in Pop Album, ‘Rockferry’ won and eventually Adele won the BNA over Duffy in 2009.

Adele was virtually unknown in the U.S until her famous SNL episode with Sarah Palin which had huge ratings. That episode took place after the votings had already closed. That’s why she missed Pop Vocal Album.

That same episode helped her gain momentum right before the committee deliberation as well.

Her situation kinda reminds me of Lewis Capaldi this year. That’s why I think he may end up winning SoTY despite underperforming in Pop Solo and Pop Album because he also peaked in the U.S after the voting had closed.

Edit: worth noting, that episode also had the highest ratings in 14 years.

Pauly Antonio
    Participant
    Topics:

Adele really wouldn’t be where she is if it wasn’t for SNL.

or Sarah Palin lol.

y'all ugly and smelly

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Adele really wouldn’t be where she is if it wasn’t for SNL.

or Sarah Palin lol.

She would’ve been discovered eventually. I’d say she wouldn’t be where she is if not for that boyfriend that pissed her off lol

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

“Someone You Loved” had been floating around the upper tier of the Hot 100 for awhile before peaking at #1, so it’s not an Adele situation at all. I think he simply missed it because there were artists with bigger hits or names. Beyoncé (if anyone) took his slot, and we know that the Grammys have a hard on for her. Every other artist nominated was heavily predicted, except maybe Taylor Swift. Still, she’s someone who has history with the Grammys. It was always going to have an uphill battle there.

Also, will Lewis Capaldi have anything like that SNL episode to catapult him in a major category, such as Song of the Year? If anyone benefits from an SNL episode late in the game, it will be Lizzo. Her episode with Eddie Murphy will air live in a couple of weeks.

Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana ain’t happening in ROTY and Pop Solo. Her snub in SOTY makes perfect sense. The lyrics to “Thank U, Next” are atrocious.

How many times are you gonna tell us Ariana is losing?

Oscars FYC.

Parasite — Best Picture, Original Screenplay, Film Editing
    Bong Joon Ho — Best Director
    Florence Pugh — Best Supporting Actress
    Charlize Theron — Best Actress
    Avengers Endgame — Visual Effects
    JoJo Rabbit — Adapted Screenplay

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 529 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.