Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 3)

2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 529 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
M
Darren
Oblivion
  • Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Why is Vampire Weekend so low in prediction score?

A combination of people here being blinded by the female pop stars in the running, and people slightly overestimating Bon Iver due to the Record of the Year nomination.

Billie, Vampire Weekend, and Bon Iver are the only people I can realistically see winning AOTY. I think that if Billie falters, Vampire Weekend has the edge due to having the more successful album, the better reviewed album, and having a bigger presence on year-end lists.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

You guys should just accept that Billie Eilish is winning Album of the Year. VW could upset, but I’m less and less confident about it.

I mean we kinda knew, it was either going to be Gaga, or if not nominated, Billie. The lineup is just weak.

Personally, I would’ve wanted to see Gaga take it, even though she should’ve won for something other than a Soundtrack, but at least she’s one of the artists who defined this decade and should win AoTY, along with Beyoncé, Kendrick and some others.

Billie is definitely not guaranteed to have longevity. Also her two best songs imo (Ocean Eyes and Everything I Wanted) are not from this album. But anyway, I hope her win will age well, and that she’ll have longevity like the two artists who should’ve won AoTY with their debut albums (Gaga and Kendrick).

fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

Even if you’re onto something, Vampire Weekend and Bon Iver are literally right there.

I’m sorry when are we going to stop pretending that i,i is some sort of accessible folk album? Some of you clearly only listened to Skinny Love and think that is reflective of Bon Iver’s discography. That is like saying that Freak is representative of Radiohead’s discography, when both bands moved away from making commercial and accessible music. i,i is folktronica and highly experimental at that, it is far too esoteric for like 90% of voters.

Vampire Weekend has a more accessible sound, but I agree it wasn’t an event album. It wasn’t an album that really captivated audiences in the same way their past albums did. I may be wrong about this considering a VW victory world be similar to Beck’s victory, a past their prime commercial-alternative act winning for a non-impactful album. Most of the indie/alternative/rock/folk/singer-songwriter vote should definitely be going to Lana, even if she loses most of the pop vote.

I do see Billie as competitive however, just not nearly as competitive as you all believe she is. She really isn’t aligned at all with the types of music that has won AOTY historically.

Toni
    Participant
    Topics:

Vampire Weekend would be an awful AOTY winner.

ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

The fact that Vampire Weekend is in the running this year is appealing. WWAFAWDWG, Norman Fucking Rockwell!, Thank U, Next, and Cuz I Love You are superior albums than Vampire Weekend. And there’s no splitting the vote this year IMO. I really do think Billie has been campaigning hard, especially singing with this year’s host elevates her even more. Tell me what has Vampire Weekend done all month to give a damn about the Grammys? Billie has released another single, performed at award shows and talk shows, as well as release a music video for Xanny.

Bon Iver probably has more love than Vampire Weekend. He was already nominated in the general field, winning BNA back in 2012. But also it’s telling when this year Hey Ma got a ROTY nomination but not Harmony Hall, which personally is produced extremely well. You guys are putting too much faith in the wrong indie act.

Ive been going back to Lana’s album more and more. It’s been growing on me, which will come on my top 10 albums list soon.

Barnacles Bro

Oblivion
    Participant
    Topics:

These delusional Ariana stans believe since she recently lucked her way into a Grammy and has a critically-acclaimed album, that she is all of a sudden some sort of Grammy darling. I can’t wait until January 26, 2020 to see the reactions when she loses everything.

How can you even luck your way to a Grammy? Voters wanted her to win, that‘s why they voted for her OVER Taylor Swift and others. They thought her album was clearly better. That‘s not luck, that‘s the voter‘s clear opinion.

Oblivion
    Participant
    Topics:

TUN is different from all those filler nominations. She put this album out in the midst of emotional trauma and grief (Manchester bombing, failed engagement, passing of a loved one, being blamed for his death etc) just 5 months and 22 days (date of Manchester attack) after she released another Grammy winning album. Other artists would have taken multiple year breaks had they gone through all the sh*t that Ariana has been through but she decided to work it out through music. Clearly Grammy worthy.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 4 weeks ago by  Oblivion.
    Robinladen
    Participant
    Topics:

How can you even luck your way to a Grammy? Voters wanted her to win, that‘s why they voted for her OVER Taylor Swift and others. They thought her album was clearly better. That‘s not luck, that‘s the voter‘s clear opinion.

There’s an element of luck to it obviously. Like Dua Lipa being a 2 time Grammy winner whereas Katy Perry has none. That’s not due to talent or big support. It’s due to luck of how the competition that year played out.

fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

TUN is a cute album and not much more than that, this isn’t the people’s choice awards. Billie has better odds of doing a full sweep of the general field than Ariana has at even one general field win.

Jerry
    Participant
    Topics:

TUN is different from all those filler nominations. She put this album out in the midst of emotional trauma and grief (Manchester bombing, failed engagement, passing of a loved one, being blamed for his death etc) just 5 months and 22 days (date of Manchester attack) after she released another Grammy winning album. Other artists would have taken multiple year breaks had they gone through all the sh*t that Ariana has been through but she decided to work it out through music. Clearly Grammy worthy.

Grammys rarely consider the circumstances of your music. If they did Shape of You would’ve gotten trampled by Praying.

Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

I must be the only one that finds Lana Del Rey overrated and Norman Fucking Rockwell! a complete snoozefest. Glad it isn’t winning.

You fucking stan Billie Eilish calling Lana Del Rey a snoozefest.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Vampire Weekend being so low on the odds is hilarious to me, I feel they’re the only ones that could upset Billie.

Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Only Ariana Grande’s album, which was one of the most successful, acclaimed, and hyped albums of the year, can be considered a “filler” nomination, Lol.</p>

Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, if you can’t see the difference between TUN, and Teenage Dream then idk what to tell you.

Vogue
    Participant
    Topics:

Predicting Ariana Grande to win a pop category in a year where she’s not the frontrunner does not mean anyone is saying she’s a “grammy darling”.

Lana Del Rey may not have pop support, but in a lineup like this, she could most definitely have the multi-genre appeal to win.

Lol why does anyone even bother on these forums, we’re all delusional and idiots if we aren’t predicting Billie Eilish to win 80 Grammys come January.

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 529 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.