Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 3)

2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 529 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
M
Darren
Oblivion
  • fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

That might be the case that the producers find out the day of and make last minute decisions.

NFR is hopefully not the Melodrama of the year. Melodrama is beloved by a lot of people but I don’t think it had the same type of universal appeal that NFR has. Melodrama felt more niche than NFR.

ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

That might be the case that the producers find out the day of and make last minute decisions. NFR is hopefully not the Melodrama of the year. Melodrama is beloved by a lot of people but I don’t think it had the same type of universal appeal that NFR has. Melodrama felt more niche than NFR.

I feel like Lana is pretty much a nicher candidate then a lot of these artists. People will probably will like “a curse word in the title, no thank you”. I really think she tackles so much personally tackles so much on the album that it satires the American Dream at this point of history. It’s also hard when you have typically tracks that are psychedelic and singer songwriter, which could draw away voters as well gain people from the rock community. But I feel that rock appeal is going towards Vampire Weekend. So Lana is a mixed bag, we don’t know how voters are going to take her, but I doubt that she will win any award this year. It’s Billie year, which IMO, encompasses much more genres then just singer songwriter pop with elements of psychedelic rock, surf pop, and baroque pop. Billie has mainly electro-pop, but many elements of indie rock, trap, and singer-songwriter. Also Lizzo, HER, and Lil Nas can also get the R&B and Hip Hop vote. Personally it’s between Billie, Ariana and Lizzo.</p>

Barnacles Bro

ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s a big year for pop, and new pop stars. This year all 4 (Grande, Eilish, Lizzo, Lil Nas) change our conceptions oF pop. Grande incorporated elements pop trends of trap and ambient pop into her typical r&b/pop sphere, which opened the door for trap-based pop songs in the mainstream. Eilish became the Gaga/Avril Lavigne of our generation, which has been an advocate for topics such as substance abuse, suicide, and climate change. Lizzo has allow women in the mainstream, particularly thick women, to feel empowered as the way Beyoncé empowered Black women in the 2010s. She change the mold that a pop star has to fit one body type as well self love and self empowerment. Lil Nas X broke boundaries this year, with the longest number one single. A young, black, gay kid beat out Swift, Sheeran, Shawn Mendes, Camila Cabello, and many on this list for the top spot, showing our love and a place for country rap in the mainstream. Old Town Road defined  the year and rather a generation that brought two differing sides together on just one song. I really hope the best for them. Keep winning.

Barnacles Bro

Oblivion
    Participant
    Topics:

”7 rings for Record Of The Year seems like the best choice. Grande broke down socio-economic barriers with her 8 week #1 smash hit and revived the American Dream by encouraging American workers to work their way up the social ladder up to the point where they can get what they want. Additionally, she broke down barriers for pop musicians as she managed to interpolate rap classics like Biggie’s ”Gimme The Loot” and other classics such as The Sound of Music’s ”My Favorite Things” in a pop track.”

– Billboard

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Oblivion.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Oblivion.
    Deemy
    Participant
    Topics:

They will likely air Pop Solo. So that they can have the Lizzo vs Billie matchup happen for ratings to see who wins. Doesn’t mean either of them is winning tho.

Because Whoever wins that will hopefully be the runner up in Record of the Year.

fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

Lol 7 Rings is a song that is blatantly about extreme luxury consumerism and money worshipping. Lots of artists use braggadocio but none do it as obnoxiously as Areola Grande, and pretending as if it is somehow aspirational and socially conscious to brag about your extreme wealth, well that is certainly… a take.

And Ariana did NOT bring trap-pop to the mainstream. That was artists like Lil Jon, Three Six Mafia, Gucci Mane, etc. Even if you are talking more pure pop music, then you can still go back easily fifteen years to Soulja Boy Kiss Me Thru The Phone, Turn My Swag On, Bossy by Kelis, etc. Our top of the charts female pop stars have already been doing trap pop for years like Rihanna with Pour It Up, Beyonce with 7-11 and Formation. Even fucking Miley Cyrus the whitest girl in the world was doing trap-pop like five years ago. Ariana didn’t bring anything to the mainstream except for her ponytail.

Oblivion
    Participant
    Topics:

Lol 7 Rings is a song that is blatantly about extreme luxury consumerism and money worshipping. Lots of artists use braggadocio but none do it as obnoxiously as Areola Grande, and pretending as if it is somehow aspirational and socially conscious to brag about your extreme wealth, well that is certainly… a take. And Ariana did NOT bring trap-pop to the mainstream. That was artists like Lil Jon, Three Six Mafia, Gucci Mane, etc. Even if you are talking more pure pop music, then you can still go back easily fifteen years to Soulja Boy Kiss Me Thru The Phone, Turn My Swag On, Bossy by Kelis, etc. Our top of the charts female pop stars have already been doing trap pop for years like Rihanna with Pour It Up, Beyonce with 7-11 and Formation. Even fucking Miley Cyrus the whitest girl in the world was doing trap-pop like five years ago. Ariana didn’t bring anything to the mainstream except for her ponytail.

So rappers can brag about everything as much as they want but when Ariana Grande, a woman does it it’s suddenly the worst thing ever? The sexism. Glad Ariana broke down these barriers and showed backwards people like you (who believe that Lana Del Rey will win AOTY) that she can do whatever the hell she wants. There’s a reason the song is the second longest running #1 after OTR this year.

fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

I already mentioned in my above post the song Pour It Up by Rihanna, a song that is also by a female artist  that is entirely her bragging about wealth, but infinitely better and less obnoxious than 7 Rings. And nobody claims that song is “breaking down class barriers”. That is just ridiculous.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

I will say, “been through some bad shit, I should be a sad bitch” is such an iconic lyric.

Other than that the song is meh…

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Bad Guy technically is the most acclaimed song of 2019 (so far).

Rightfully so.

Oblivion
    Participant
    Topics:

I already mentioned in my above post the song Pour It Up by Rihanna, a song that is also by a female artist that is entirely her bragging about wealth, but infinitely better and less obnoxious than 7 Rings. And nobody claims that song is “breaking down class barriers”. That is just ridiculous.

It was a joke obviously…

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I never said she was campaigning. But she hasn’t been campaigning as much as Billie. Y’all are acting that thing between Billie and Alicia Keys was nothing but we know she likes her a lot. Plus Billie has the biggest album of the year, won many album awards and dominated more lists. She’s has a great year, and people will notice.

Period.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I can’t at y’all nitpicking Bad Guy’s lyrics as if Truth Hurts lyrics are god sent just because it’s quotable.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Truth Hurts may not have the best lyrics, but again falls in the same category as This Is America and Single Ladies, not great lyrics but at least a very good message. I don’t think it should win SoTY though. I think ARUTW and Hard Place are ahead in terms of SoTY worthiness. But I don’t think it matters lol

fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Truth Hurts is very lyrically strong. People act like because it’s kind of silly and uses some profanity that it’s not a songwriting heavyweight. Clearly Lizzo’s breakup left her with a lot of inspiration and more than a little pettiness to air her grievances and write this all time breakup anthem. It’s what Thank U Next wishes it could be, a clever, catchy and heart felt dismissal of your exes. There’s a reason why this song from 2017 eventually brought Lizzo to the top without any major industry support to orchestrate her ascent. Truth Hurts without a doubt deserves SOTY, Billie can have ROTY..

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 529 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.