Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 4)

2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 515 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
M
Lotus
Boz
  • Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

You all are so severely underestimating Lana. Yeah pop voters love Beyonce, Katy Perry, Dua Lipa, Billie, Ariana etc. These types of pop albums never win AOTY because ONLY pop voters like these albums. Lana lost the pop nomination because she didn’t release a pop album, so the pop voters voted for actual pop albums instead. If she had released an actual pop album, she probably would have gotten the pop nomination but missed the AOTY nomination. So Lana lost the pop voters but she gained everyone else. She has huge and passionate support coming from the entire industry.

Yes, which is why they voted for an African world music album instead.

Oblivion
    Participant
    Topics:

This is not a very good argument against Lana. Yes, it’s over an hour long, but just because it’s not pop and a top album of the year doesn’t mean it’s not good. I wouldn’t call it slow either, it’s the perfect tempo for someone like Lana and gives a chance to really understand the lyrics. This comparison, of Lana’s album being too slow with no real hits, could’ve been used against Kacey in a way last year. Long, slow, hardly sold. Yet she still won. I’m rooting for Lana just because I’ve been a fan for so long and it’s incredible to see how her career has come since Born to Die, but the only argument that is completely valid for why she won’t win is that she didn’t secure any genre nominations.

That tempo is perfect for Lana, yes, not for Grammy voters who have never listened to it before. Trust me, they won’t sit through all that. And I don’t think Lana could be namechecked. Plus Kacey’s album was fairly popular, not nearly as slow and melodyless and 45 minutes long. Not an hour and ten minutes.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Oblivion.
    CRUNCHY
    Participant
    Topics:

NFR is not gonna be last year’s Golden Hour. Kacey had FULL country support and swept the country field. Lana’s album got 0 nominations in pop, Beyonce (flop album, no impact whatsoever) and Ed Sheeran (critticly almost panned, 57 on metacritic and a huge decline after Divide commercially) got in over her. Also, Lana campaigned pretty hard, so that’s why she’s definitely not winning. I mean she could maybe win, huge suprises can always happen (she got in Soty with an album track) but it’s very very unlikely.

Oblivion
    Participant
    Topics:

This year Ariana Grande should have full genre support, hence the boyfriend nomination.

Robinladen
    Participant
    Topics:

This year Ariana Grande should have full genre support, hence the boyfriend nomination.

Not with Billie in the mix who had nothing to submit to pop duo.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Not with Billie in the mix who had nothing to submit to pop duo.

Exactly. People need to stop bringing up the “Boyfriend” nomination as if it actually changes anything.

The song got strong airplay and peaked around voting anyway, so while it was an unexpected nomination, it really wasn’t random.

Pauly Antonio
    Participant
    Topics:

Taylor presenting AOTY could be an indicator that Billie is winning. It would be a moment when the past AOTY winner gives it to the newest. It makes more sense for that to happen than Lana winning it. I don’t think i’ve ever heard Taylor mentioned Lana at all except last night lol.

y'all ugly and smelly

mnk7
    Participant
    Topics:

NFR is not gonna be last year’s Golden Hour. Kacey had FULL country support and swept the country field. Lana’s album got 0 nominations in pop, Beyonce (flop album, no impact whatsoever) and Ed Sheeran (critticly almost panned, 57 on metacritic and a huge decline after Divide commercially) got in over her. Also, Lana campaigned pretty hard, so that’s why she’s definitely not winning. I mean she could maybe win, huge suprises can always happen (she got in Soty with an album track) but it’s very very unlikely.

When did she campaigned?

mnk7
    Participant
    Topics:

Taylor presenting AOTY could be an indicator that Billie is winning. It would be a moment when the past AOTY winner gives it to the newest. It makes more sense for that to happen than Lana winning it. I don’t think i’ve ever heard Taylor mentioned Lana at all except last night lol.

She talked about her on Tumblr, calling herself a Lana stan, on a radio interview, naming her one of her all time favorite artist, and I think she mentioned her on her Rolling Stones interview.

Robinladen
    Participant
    Topics:

She talked about her on Tumblr, calling herself a Lana stan, on a radio interview, naming her one of her all time favorite artist, and I think she mentioned her on her Rolling Stones interview.

And she copied payed homage to the Ride video with the I Knew You Were Trouble video and to Lana’s sound with Wildest Dreams.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Wildest dreams definitely sounds a lot like Young & Beautiful. You can hear it clearly in the chorus.

Lotus
    Participant
    Topics:

You Lana fans tell yourselves anything.  Lana is not happening in AOTY nor is she comparable to Kacey Musgraves.

NASA
    Participant
    Topics:

Wildest dreams definitely sounds a lot like Young & Beautiful. You can hear it clearly in the chorus.

So that is why ‘Wildest Dreams’ is my favorite song by Taylor. Nice!

Oblivion
    Participant
    Topics:

Exactly. People need to stop bringing up the “Boyfriend” nomination as if it actually changes anything. The song got strong airplay and peaked around voting anyway, so while it was an unexpected nomination, it really wasn’t random.

There were so many songs that they could have nominated instead (and deserved it way more than boyfriend – I say this as an Ariana stan) like for example Dancing With A Stranger, which was way bigger than boyfriend and had a massive airplay and yet they went with boyfriend. While it’s not a complete random nomination since Ariana is a huge name anyways, it’s still a good sign for her imo.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Golden Hour was way buzzier than Norman Fucking Rockwell and it also benefitted from narrative. Around last year’s Grammys there was a lot of talk about the lack of female representation on country radio, so naturally the lone female country artist – who herself barely receives airplay – was a natural choice to rally behind, especially in the immediate wake of the previous year’s “step up” fiasco.

Not to mention, Kacey was already a 2x Grammy winner and Golden Hour had recently won AOTY at a major televised award show.

They’re completely different scenarios.

Lana is more comparable to Janelle Monáe and Lorde, who likewise did not get nominations for best albums in their genres.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 515 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.