Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 4)

2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 515 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
M
Lotus
Boz
  • Lucky Budiman
    Participant
    Topics:

judging by this year’s theme, “Unexpect Everything”, i could see someone pulling an upset in AOTY tho, possibly Vampire Weekend or Lana, at the very least.

alex00g2
    Participant
    Topics:

Vampire Weekend for AOTY lmaooooooooo

Father of The Bride would be the safe choice. The safe album (or one of the safest albums) usually wins, which is a trend going back many years.

Golden Hour, 24K Magic and 25 were safe AOTY choices
    So were 1989 and Morning Phase

Some might that say choosing an Electronic Album (Random Access Memories) was not a safe choice in 2014, compared with say ‘Red’ by Taylor Swift, but the narrative around R.A.M. was that this was a “retro disco” album with guitar and other analogue instruments (they even talked about how they recorded to magnetic tape) and not an EDM album created on a laptop.

You can’t go too far wrong with a retro sound – just ask Bruno Mars. Plus there were no explicit tracks on R.A.M. to offend conservative Grammy voters.

Babel and 21 were safe choices too.

So which is the “safe” choice this year?

Billie has no explicit tracks, but she might be a little too weird for conservative tastes.

Lana has some traditional analogue instruments, but multiple explicit tracks, not to mention an explicit album title and those lyrics in the opening verse of the title track.

Bon Iver would have been the safe choice in his first two albums, but a quick listen to the first couple of tracks of i,i are also going to be a bit too weird for some people.

Vampire Weekend has a album with traditional analogue instruments and a sound that would be familiar to a lot of rock and country voters. There are no explicit tracks and it actually sounds pretty great if you just listen to the first few songs (and don’t attempt to listen to the whole album in one sitting, where you’ll notice some of their weaker tracks).

If you don’t think Bille will win, Vampire Weekend is quite a rational choice.

deshunfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

If only certain voters weren’t so picky of an album because it’s explicit.

#howrudeofme

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

Vampire Weekend for AOTY lmaooooooooo

Why are you laughing? They’re way more likelier to get on that stage than Ariana is lmaoooo

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not convinced Vampire Weekend will win. They’re not undeniably acclaimed like Kacey or Arcade Fire, they’re not veterans like Beck and Daft Punk, and they’re definitely not as commercially succesful as Taylor Swift and Adele. Their album just sits in a grey area of “liked enough to get a nom”. The Rock vote could benefit them, but they also have Bon Iver, Lana del Rey, and Billie Eilish right there.

River
    Participant
    Topics:

They are very critically acclaimed

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

The Rock vote could benefit them, but they also have Bon Iver, Lana del Rey, and Billie Eilish right there.

Vampire Weekend are by far the closest of this group to actual rock music

Mr Brightside
    Participant
    Topics:

The Suburbs had an 87 on MC while Father of the Bride had 82. They aren’t that far off.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

If only certain voters weren’t so picky of an album because it’s explicit.

It really doesn’t matter. It’s coincidence that explicit music tends to win less. Profanity also tends to be less common in pop and rock which voters gravitate to more.

Let’s not forget that OutKast won AOTY (as have other albums with strong profanity like 21, Jagged Little Pill, and Babel), and “This Is America” and “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” have won in the general field categories.

Kai
    Participant
    Topics:

What do we think about Best Song Written for Visual Media? It’s obviously between “I’ll Never Love Again” or “Spirit”.

While the latter has the advantage of a Pop nomination, so did “Sunflower”, plus an additional one in the GF, yet missed the category all together.

João Pedro Costa Calaça
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah I think Spirit can surprise all of us specially since it’s nominated also for the Oscars.

Oblivion
    Participant
    Topics:

Why are you laughing? They’re way more likelier to get on that stage than Ariana is lmaoooo

I’m laughing because they don’t deserve it. Only Billie and Ariana do.

Pauly Antonio
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah I think Spirit can surprise all of us specially since it’s nominated also for the Oscars.

I wish girl

y'all ugly and smelly

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

The Suburbs had an 87 on MC while Father of the Bride had 82. They aren’t that far off.

They are.

The Suburbs was also in most if not all YE lists, and was considered their best album.

Father of the Bride lost all hype after release week, with many considering it to be their worst album and their poppiest. Also, the higher you go, the harder it getson MC. An 82 and an 87 are pretty far off; that’s like saying that Thank U Next (86) and Melodrama and Dirty Computer (91) aren’t *that* far off.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Ezra is also a renowned songwriter in the industry. He wrote for several big artists including Beyoncé (hold up) and Rihanna etc..

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 515 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.