Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 6)

2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 501 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Boz
PoweR
Oblivion
  • NASA
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie is absolutely the frontrunner for AOTY, you’re kidding yourself if you say otherwise.

You are so annoying, lol. The main argument is that she is SPLITTING THE VOTES. Let’s say realistically, she’s getting votes from Pop and Alternative.

Pop: We have Ariana (last year won against 2x AOTY winner in the Pop Field), Lizzo (Truth Hurts is a big hit, kinda relevant at the moment of voting), Lil Nas X (the biggest song ever) and Lana Del Rey (some pop voters could go for her). The last two are not a big threat, because both missed Pop Vocal nomination. But still could take some votes.

Alternative: Wampire Weekend are getting 85% of the votes. That is obvious. Then Bon Iver. Only then Billie and Lana.

To take AOTY, there should be no split. If there is, the album should bend more than 2 genres. Simple like that.

ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

Stop trying to disregard Billie as a front runner for AOTY, she clearly is. She outsold many of them, beat almost all of them (except Lana’s) on year End Lists, as well as is beloved by many in the music industry. And it’s a statement of the year that we had; I hadn’t seen a year with many new and fresh artists on the music scene since maybe since Britney and Christina. But besides the point there have been new artists perse that have done well in the public eye. Sam Smith, while not winning AOTY, won all the other general field awards that year. Taylor Swift won album of the year at the beginning of their career. So I really don’t understand why Billie wouldn’t win any general field awards excluding BNA.

Barnacles Bro

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

You are so annoying, lol.

To each their own. For what it’s worth, I think all the Ariana fans on here claiming she’s either winning AOTY or is a dark horse or has some kind of chance are annoying, because not a bit of that is true.

The claim that “85%” of the “alternative vote” is going to Vampire Weekend was pulled straight out of your ass. How is that obvious?

And we’ve been through this before that just because vote-splitting CAN happen doesn’t mean it WILL. Case in point: “This Is America” winning Record of the Year last year when it was one of 5 rap songs in the lineup.

Some people also thought Kacey Musgraves and Brandi Carlile would split votes last year, but that wasn’t the case.

rue
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie is clearly the frontrunner in AOTY. She’s beatable but anyone who is trying to say she’s not the frontrunner (by a mile) is deluded.

Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

In case anyone cares, these are the sales/equivalent sales of the ROTY/SOTY nominees:

Record
    Old Town Road – 8.5 million
    Sunflower – 7.5 million
    Bad Guy – 4.6 million
    7 Rings – 4.6 million
    Truth Hurts – 4.4 million
    Talk – 3.5 million
    Hard Place – 296,000
    Hey, Ma – 155,000

Song
    Bad Guy – 4.6 million
    Truth Hurts – 4.4 million
    Someone You Loved – 2.9 million
    Always Remember Us This Way – 1.6 million
    Lover – 1.2 million
    Hard Place – 296,000
    Norman Fucking Rockwell – 145,000
    Bring My Flowers Now – 5,000

https://hitsdailydouble.com/news&id=319351&title=GRAMMY-CONTENDERS-BY-THE-NUMBERS-

supermodelslegs
    Participant
    Topics:

Just because songs/albums come from the same genre doesn’t mean that they will split votes. If two are similar enough song- and success-wise, then sure, you could make a case for it. Doesn’t mean that pop voters will ONLY vote for thank u, next, or only rap voters will vote for 7 because it’s the closest to resembling a rap album this year.

Lotus
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, I will be laughing my ass off on January 26th when Ariana Grande goes home empty-handed.  That will finally shut her delusional ass stans up.

rue
    Participant
    Topics:

That will finally shut her delusional ass stans up.

we all know that won’t happen unfortunately

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Upsets tend to happen most in AOTY, but it usually goes to an album that appeals to instrumentalists, such as a rock or jazz album. TUN is neither of those. If Ari can upset in Pop Album before AOTY is announced, then I’ll entertain the possibility of her upsetting.

Billie is the frontrunner. If she loses, it’ll prove that there is a true bias for debut albums and young artists in general. I still have a feeling she’s going to slip up in a few categories just like Sam Smith did.

NASA
    Participant
    Topics:

That will finally shut her delusional ass stans up.

Honey, you never shut up after your predictions are proved to be wrong on the way. Like any time. Why would I?

So stop smoking that wacky tobacco and happy new year.

Oblivion
    Participant
    Topics:

There is no reason why Ariana would have ”no chance”. Her album was a massive success, she has huge pop voter support behind her, TUN was highly acclaimed (moreso than WWAFA,WDWG?) and she is an established force in pop music and not a debut act. Saying that she has zero chances is peak delusion, period, just like saying she will sweep.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  Oblivion.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by  Oblivion.
    caleidoscopio
    Participant
    Topics:

To be very honest, I hardly ever see any Ariana stans here or anywhere convinced that she’s winning AOTY. Everyone is expecting Billie to win big at this point, specially here.

In fact, many Gold Derby forum users seem to have a hate-boner for her and keep trying to push the narrative that “Ariana stans delusionally believe their fave is winning AOTY or 5/5ing”. I’m not saying no names specifically, but the fanbases who overestimate the power of their faves were predicting like 6-7 nods for them and failed to make it to ROTY and/or AOTY.

If anyone’s getting disappointed or getting their mouths shut, it’s the people here, of course only IF Ariana wins AOTY. Is it going to happen? Probably not. But be careful with what you openly don’t wish for. If Ariana wins AOTY, the meltdowns and collapses here are going to be hilarious!

Religion
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie’s album was clearly the biggest of the year. It had one of the biggest hits of the year which had insane longevity along with the album. She has a narrative that the voters will probably like (extremely young and solely her and her brother wrote/produced the album) And if that wasn’t enough, her massive campaigning (which absolutely has an effect) made up any chance she didn’t have to win AOTY. She’s at the top of voters minds. There’s no doubt in my mind that she’s nearly a lock.

Lizzo and Ariana are probably tied for runner up. Both have the success, acclaim, and narrative too, but much less so than Billie and didn’t campaign. Especially Ariana has less of a chance with her domination being late 2018/early 2019.

Fingers crossed that Lana’s a dark horse though…

kenboi99
    Participant
    Topics:

To be very honest, I hardly ever see any Ariana stans here or anywhere convinced that she’s winning AOTY. Everyone is expecting Billie to win big at this point, specially here. In fact, many Gold Derby forum users seem to have a hate-boner for her and keep trying to push the narrative that “Ariana stans delusionally believe their fave is winning AOTY or 5/5ing”. I’m not saying no names specifically, but the fanbases who overestimate the power of their faves were predicting like 6-7 nods for them and failed to make it to ROTY and/or AOTY. If anyone’s getting disappointed or getting their mouths shut, it’s the people here, of course only IF Ariana wins AOTY. Is it going to happen? Probably not. But be careful with what you openly don’t wish for. If Ariana wins AOTY, the meltdowns and collapses here are going to be hilarious!

We’ve all seen it. Just because you don’t doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen.

Mr Brightside
    Participant
    Topics:

These are probably examples of upsets in the last 20 years or so:

Beck over Beyonce/Sam Smith

Arcade Fire over Eminem/Lady Gaga

Herbie Hancock over Amy Winehouse

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 501 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.