Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 7)

2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 561 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
Oblivion
Darren
Lotus
  • Oblivion
    Participant
    Topics:

At what time exactly do the Grammys and the pre-cast air?

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Grammys are typically 8:00pm New York Time.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I think having a break at 30yo is also something negative.

This is dumb because no one is going to say that they won’t rally behind her because she broke out late in her career. So, why would that be a negative?

But to answer your question, her breaking through ten years into her career and with songs that were originally ignored is a narrative. Her mastering her craft and hitting the mainstream despite the way she looks is a narrative. Her being one of the biggest breakthrough acts of the year and earning several Entertainer of the Year accolades is a narrative.

Eilish is not the only act in this race with a story.

ReplyCopy URL
    NASA
    Participant
    Topics:

Europe isn’t sleeping again!

ReplyCopy URL
    kenboi99
    Participant
    Topics:

Lol billish

ReplyCopy URL
    Robinladen
    Participant
    Topics:

This is dumb because no one is going to say that they won’t rally behind her because she broke out late in her career. So, why would that be a negative?

But to answer your question, her breaking through ten years into her career and with songs that were originally ignored is a narrative. Her mastering her craft and hitting the mainstream despite the way she looks is a narrative. Her being one of the biggest breakthrough acts of the year and earning several Entertainer of the Year accolades is a narrative.

Billish is not the only act in this race with a story.

The main criticism she receives is also why award old songs. Personally don’t necesaryly agree but it has been tossed around here quite often aswell. And it even reached a point in visibility where Lizzo felt the need to tweet she can’t help it that her songs are getting this success only now.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

The main criticism she receives is also why award old songs. Personally don’t necesaryly agree but it has been tossed around here quite often aswell. And it even reached a point in visibility where Lizzo felt the need to tweet she can’t help it that her songs are getting this success only now.

If that actually mattered, the songs wouldn’t have been hits in 2019 and would not be nominated for the top awards at the Grammys… And a bunch of Twitter fingers do not represent Grammy voters.

You asked for a narrative, and I gave a few. And she’s also the leading nominee, so she has pluses in her case.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marcus Snowden (The Artist Formerly Known as msnowden1)
    Participant
    Topics:

You could even argue that Lana has a narrative. She is one of America’s greatest singer-songwriters and widely considered to be one of the best artists of her generation, but was somewhat ignored by awards shows.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mr Brightside
    Participant
    Topics:

Most of the GF has some kind of narrative, but some are bigger than others. Narrative is only one of many things to take into account anyway. Lil Nas probably has the biggest narrative but he’s not going to win AOTY and I’m personally not predicting him in ROTY.

ReplyCopy URL
    Robinladen
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie kinda has everything Lana has but with more success.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

These are the categories that I’m still having trouble settling on:

Rock Performance/Song
    Leaning towards Brittany Howard, but debating whether to predict Gary Clark Jr. or Vampire Weekend (in Song) who are my next-in-line picks

R&B Album
    After initially predicting Anderson .Paak, I’m now going with Ella Mai due to R&B voters typically preferring the most mainstream offering. But I’m wondering if that might be a mistake.

Rap Performance/Song
    Still am not sure whether to predict Nipsey Hussle or “A Lot”/”Middle Child”.

Visual Media Score
    I really want to know what everyone else is thinking here. I could see The Lion King, Chernobyl, or Game of Thrones winning and I feel like it’s a total crapshoot. The only nominee I feel comfortable ruling out is Mary Poppins Returns since it failed to get Song or Compilation nominations.

ReplyCopy URL
    NASA
    Participant
    Topics:

‘a lot’ will get that Rap Song Grammy.

ReplyCopy URL
    Oblivion
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana objectively has the “biggest” narrative in AOTY. Ugh I just hope she can somehow make it

ReplyCopy URL
    Robinladen
    Participant
    Topics:

Ariana objectively has the “biggest” narrative in AOTY. Ugh I just hope she can somehow make it

Not to be insensitive but both Manchester and Mac Miller are too long ago to be a narrative for her now. They might had an impact a year ago on her Sweetener win.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope they don’t go that crazy for Nipsey Hussle, simply because I don’t like posthumous wins just because. I feel “Higher” is more than enough to give Nipsey award recognition. Anything more than that would look like obvious pandering. With that said, it’s totally possible that a Nipsey sweep can happen without someone like Kendrick Lamar to stop him. But J. Cole and 21 Savage deserve Grammys this year, period.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 561 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.