Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 7)

2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 561 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
Oblivion
Darren
Lotus
  • deshunfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

If Ariana wins Best Pop Billie can’t win AOTY.

In Pop Vocal or any other genre for that matter, an AOTY nominee either lost to a non-AOTY nominee and could went on to win AOTY Or they won their genre nom(s) and went on to win or lose AOTY

#howrudeofme

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel if Billie falters anywhere, it will be one of the song categories. I don’t think “Bad Guy” is a lock for any award, and that’s not to say she won’t win any awards for it. I feel like her competition is stiffer in those cats than in the album ones.

ReplyCopy URL
    deshunfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel if Billie falters anywhere, it will be one of the song categories. I don’t think “Bad Guy” is a lock for any award, and that’s not to say she won’t win any awards for it. I feel like her competition is stiffer in those cats than in the album ones.

That’s why I think Billie could potentially take BNA, Pop Vocal, and AOTY. That would be a perfect scenario for her instead a full on sweep

Basically she can win like Kacey did last year. If she can get Pop Solo too.

#howrudeofme

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s why I think Billie could potentially take BNA, Pop Vocal, and AOTY. That would be a perfect scenario for her instead a full on sweep

Basically she can win like Kacey did last year. If she can get Pop Solo too.

Paul Grein brought up a great point that Lizzo’s popularity (good and bad) skyrocketed in the second half of the year, so that makes me think she could stop a full on sweep. This is also the first year where three of the BNA nominees were AOTY nominees.

ReplyCopy URL
    deshunfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope Lizzo performs Juice :(((( and Tempo but she’s probably going to do a Truth Hurts – Jerome – Exactly How I Feel Medley.

#howrudeofme

ReplyCopy URL
    Religion
    Participant
    Topics:

Even though I don’t personally like the album, Billie winning AOTY would be well deserved. It’s well rounded in terms of both massive success and universal acclaim which is kinda rare for AOTY winners. The Grammys would actually get it right by giving it to her

ReplyCopy URL
    caleidoscopio
    Participant
    Topics:

Dear Lord, can Pop voters PLEASE share the wealth between Ariana & Billie like they did with Bruno & Lorde in 2014?

looking back, either album would deserve to sweep the Pop field in most of the lineups the past decade

and had NFR made it to BPVA & BPSP, it would deserve that as well

ReplyCopy URL
    JJS5056
    Participant
    Topics:

I think those using the Pop category nominations as precursors to how voting went down for the GF are applying some flawed methodology; there are a dozen or so reasons that an album like NFR! could have missed Pop Vocal Album and still be extremely competitive in AOTY.

Without a committee/panel, the Pop field will also skew toward big names, which is why we consistently see ‘surprise’ nominations for artists like Gaga, Beyonce, Kelly Clarkson, etc. An artist who isn’t as huge and especially whose music is more genre-bending like Lana del Rey (who has a much more alternative sound) will always be at a disadvantage.

But, NFR! won’t be up against those big guns for AOTY; it has 7 competitors from different genres and there really is no way to predict how those who didn’t go for Ariana and/or Billie will vote in the final round.

On top of that, NFR! got major promo and topped many year-end lists AFTER first-round voting. On top of the BRP backing for both AOTY and SOTY, it had a ton of positive press and momentum heading in.

I don’t know that it will win, but I think it is too simplistic to dismiss it because of the Pop nominations. The AOTY and SOTY nominations this year indicate to me that there was an effort to not have 1 song to carry anyone to a sweep or vice versa. The nominees also had far less success with their individual tracks than many years in the past; Lady Gaga lost 3x despite having a minimum of 3 top 10 songs, but the frontrunner (Billie Eilish) had only 1 top 10 when this process began.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lotus
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like the majority of Lizzo’s wins are going to come from the R&B Field.

ReplyCopy URL
    deshunfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like the majority of Lizzo’s wins are going to come from the R&B Field.

I want her to take Pop Solo so bad

#howrudeofme

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

If Ariana wins Best Pop Billie can’t win AOTY.

I disagree with this. Billie, unlike Ariana, is very genre-hybrid. She’s also the new it-girl, so she’ll surely get votes from multiple branches. She’s also very popular on Alt radio so she could get some love from rock voters.

Ariana, however, does need to win Pop Vocal to win AOTY; most of her voters are likely pop. So if Ariana ends up winning Pop Vocal, I still wouldn’t count Billie out for AOTY. It’ll just mean she might be more competitive than we thought.

ReplyCopy URL
    Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

If Ariana wins Best Pop Billie can’t win AOTY. In Pop Vocal or any other genre for that matter, an AOTY nominee either lost to a non-AOTY nominee and could went on to win AOTY Or they won their genre nom(s) and went on to win or lose AOTY

Exactly. People were only able to win AOTY while losing genre noms when they lost to someone that wasn’t nominated for AOTY.

So unless Billie loses to Taylor, Ed or Beyoncé… she’s not winning AOTY if she loses to Ariana… and the same goes for Ariana.

ReplyCopy URL
    Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

I disagree with this. Billie, unlike Ariana, is very genre-hybrid. She’s also the new it-girl, so she’ll surely get votes from multiple branches. She’s also very popular on Alt radio so she could get some love from rock voters. Ariana, however, does need to win Pop Vocal to win AOTY; most of her voters are likely pop. So if Ariana ends up winning Pop Vocal, I still wouldn’t count Billie out for AOTY. It’ll just mean she might be more competitive than we thought.

I see your point but that would still be hard for Billie to overcome.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mr Brightside
    Participant
    Topics:

When was the last time an AOTY winner lost their genre album category?

ReplyCopy URL
    James Otto Sweet Heart
    Participant
    Topics:

I would love to see the Luke Combs/Brooks and Dunn duet be named the Best Country Duo/Group Performance, especially after Luke was severely overlooked last year for the Best New Artist award. The only other nominated act for that award who has not scored a win yet is Brothers Osborne and so I would be happy for them too if they got it instead. (smiles)

God bless you and them and Luke and Brooks and Dunn always!!!

Holly

P.S. This would be Brooks and Dunn third win out of sixteen nominations.

Go here to check out my most favorite singer James Otto!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiU81KIRZ_Q

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 561 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.