Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 7)

2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 7)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 561 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
Oblivion
Darren
Lotus
  • kanil032
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

I think people here are underestimating “Bad Guy” and overestimating “Truth Hurts.” I’m not sure why the latter would win SOTY, especially when they have historically not favored rap or rap-leaning songs in the general field.

</p>
    Last year, THIS IS AMERICA won over heavily predicted SHALLOW…

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

</p>
    Last year, THIS IS AMERICA won over heavily predicted SHALLOW…

One win still does not change the historical disadvantage rap has in the main categories.

And that’s still not a good example because “This Is America” was one of the less popular songs in the lineup; it won largely off the strength of its music video and message. The main argument for “Truth Hurts” winning SOTY is the fact that it was a big hit, because it certainly is not a lyrical standout.

ReplyCopy URL
    M
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”> </p> Last year, THIS IS AMERICA won over heavily predicted SHALLOW…

Shallow and TIA were neck in neck last year. In RoTY the odds were actually a virtual tie.

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2019/lady-gaga-childish-gambino-grammy-predictions-record-of-the-year-news-280491375/

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  M.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  M.
    ReplyCopy URL
    JennyLewisFan
    Participant
    Topics:

Old Town Road is the perfect ROTY winner. It perfectly melds two genres, and it’s one of the biggest songs of all time (still Top 20 on the Hot 100). I’ll be disappointed if they just throw the award to bad guy.

Try not to be. I do get your point, but other than it melding two genres together, there isn’t that much to its performance on the part of the artists. “bad guy,” with the aid of Finneas O’Connell’s brlliant production, trumps “Old Town Road” here in my opinion.

Billie has the better album while Lizzo has the better song. I wouldn’t be surprised if Billie beats her in AOTY and Pop Vocal while Lizzo takes Pop Solo and SOTY. BNA is still a toss-up for me.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Lizzo got a Pop Solo win too, though I doubt it. Also, SOTY for me isn’t just going to “Truth Hurts.”

Some publications are really predicting Lana for AoTY lol. Will she really get some last minute passionate vote?

It’s every Lana fan’s prayer at the moment. She’s so close to finally getting due recognition for her work. Though, as a Lana fan myself, I’m overblown by the nods.

I think people here are underestimating “Bad Guy” and overestimating “Truth Hurts.” I’m not sure why the latter would win SOTY, especially when they have historically not favored rap or rap-leaning songs in the general field. Especially since a lot of the people predicting “Truth Hurts” to triumph over “Bad Guy” are also predicting Billie to beat Lizzo in AOTY and BNA. So I’m just not following why Lizzo is randomly the one to beat in SOTY. It’s not like her song was bigger. Plus, the whole angle of “brother-and-sister writing team making songs in their childhood bedroom” that Billie and Finneas have been pushing screams for a SOTY win.

I can see Billie sweeping everything, though SOTY’s a 50% for her in m view. I don’t see Lizzo winning SOTY in any way really.

Regarding the brother and sister in bedroom thing, I’d also like to make reference to Latin Grammy AOTY winner ROSALÍA, who, though not with her brother, made her album in a similar setup. Even if Billie’s album was studio-made, the album is great! It being made in a bedroom only makes it the more impressive.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie Eilish is the one people are saying will likely sweep her nominations. So because a FEW people are predicting a win for “Truth Hurts” that means Billie is being “underestimated”? Not everyone has to predict her for EVERYTHING, even if she ends up winning everything.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

Billie Eilish is the one people are saying will likely sweep her nominations. So because a FEW people are predicting a win for “Truth Hurts” that means Billie is being “underestimated”? Not everyone has to predict her for EVERYTHING, even if she ends up winning everything.

I’ve seen most people in these threads predicting “Truth Hurts” in SOTY. Not to mention several people said for months “Bad Guy” wouldn’t get in SOTY because of its sexually suggestive lyrics.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I see just as many “Bad Guy” mentions. Not a big deal.

ReplyCopy URL
    JennyLewisFan
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”> </p> Last year, THIS IS AMERICA won over heavily predicted SHALLOW…

Last year was just a mess. I have no other way to put this. It was also, I guess, an attempt to please the masses by giving a song with a political message the award, which, to me, is just petty. I view this choice the same way I see every nomination (and win) Black Panther received at the Oscars and other film awards. “Shallow” or “The Joke” were meant to be winners.

One win still does not change the historical disadvantage rap has in the main categories. And that’s still not a good example because “This Is America” was one of the less popular songs in the lineup; it won largely off the strength of its music video and message.

Exactly.

But then, if the Grammys is to lean towards political statements, how come songs like “Alright” and “Formation” lost all their nods? It’s not a given they’ll always go in this direction is what I’m trying to say. Besides, if any SOTY nominee has something kind of like  a political statement, it’s “Norman fucking Rockwell.”

“Truth Hurts” isn’t the frontrunner for SOTY really.

ReplyCopy URL
    JennyLewisFan
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve seen most people in these threads predicting “Truth Hurts” in SOTY. Not to mention several people said for months “Bad Guy” wouldn’t get in SOTY because of its sexually suggestive lyrics.

Lol “sexually suggestive”? Damn, people will be people. “bad guy” was an SOTY shoo-in right from day 1. Even in a five-nominee lineup, it’d still be there. That and “Lover,” “Norman fucking Rockwell,” “Always Remember Us This Way” and “Bring My Flowers Now.”

“Truth Hurts” doesn’t really strike SOTY gold in my view.

“Hard Place” sounds a lot like something I’ve heard before, though it’s still a great song. It just sounds so common.

“Someone You Loved,” looks like a rushed filler choice, kinda like “Talk” in ROTY.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

“Shallow” was just overestimated. It was one of those situations where it was either released too late in the period to make a true impact on the mass voters or was released just in time to make the right impact.

“Shallow” was not the Song of 2018, all things considered. It just didn’t represent that year and didn’t really matter outside of the context of the movie it was intended for.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

“Shallow” was just overestimated. It was one of those situations where it was either released too late in the period to make a true impact on the mass voters or was released just in time to make the right impact.

This is also true. It would almost certainly have been the frontrunner in this year’s SOTY lineup and would be giving everyone a run for their money in ROTY as well. A Star Is Born had only been out for 2-3 months by the time final ballots were cast. “Shallow” had not won the Oscar, hit #1, or even become a major radio hit by that point.

Even though it was baity, it lacked familiarity, which should have given people (myself included – I predicted it to win both categories) pause. My gut instinct when the nominations were announced was actually that “This Is America” would win both categories, and I didn’t trust it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mr Brightside
    Participant
    Topics:

“Shallow” was probably a panel pick

ReplyCopy URL
    Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Truth Hurts would’ve definitely been nominated even in the old lineup. It’s a smash hit, it has self-empowering lyrics (always a plus in SOTY), and is by the most nominated artist of the night. Lana, Gaga, H.E.R, and Tucker are probably BRP picks.

Truth Hurts sounds closer to a SOTY winner than Bad Guy. In the last decade, 7 out of 10 of the SOTY winners were songs about typical breakup/loveydovey relationships. Truth Hurts is way more universally-likeable, and is popular because of its lyrics. It fits the type more than something like Bad Guy, which most people agree doesn’t shine because of its lyrics.

Besides, the last 2 SOTY winners have been both by historically-black genres. Lizzo having a rap song won’t diminish her chances, especially since said song was a huge hit in both Pop and Rap radio, and is listed as pop. If anything, Lizzo’s song appealing to both crowds (as well as R&B voters, and just voters who like her in general) is a big plus for her. Her overperformance in the R&B field also shows that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Darren
    Participant
    Topics:

All 8 nominees are panel picks. The committee literally receives the top 20 most voted on songs/albums/artists in alphabetical order.

ReplyCopy URL
    PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

All 8 nominees are panel picks. The committee literally receives the top 20 most voted on songs/albums/artists in alphabetical order.

Yes, technically.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 561 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.