Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 9)

2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 9)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 522 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +9 hidden )
replies
views
users
PoweR
M
Oblivion
  • joesilver
    Participant
    Topics:

If there were a Pop committee, Melodrama and NFR would’ve been nominated. Them missing for bigger artists shows that there just isn’t.

Perfect Duet will always be a mystery. Especially since Bey got two surprise noms this year, and Ed made it into Pop Vocal over albums with bigger hits.

Where was the R&B committee when they snubbed AOTY nominee Janelle Monae from the Urban contemporary album category?

Mr Brightside
    Participant
    Topics:

By the way, it has to be Brandi Carlile. Since Bring My Flowers Now is not her song (as in, she’s not the artist, only the songwriter), she might’ve even made a more compelling case for it without it being so obvious that she only wanted the nom; the song’s lack of a ROTY nom also proves that point. Furthermore, her representative, Richard Stumpf, is a Grammy Trustee, so he probably has some connections as well. He is also the CEO of a Music Publishing company which represents many songwriters, Carlile included. But this is just a theory.

It seems plausible. It could also be the song’s other co-writers Phil/Tim Hanseroth who also co-wrote “The Joke”

fatma667
    Participant
    Topics:

It seems plausible. It could also be the song’s other co-writers Phil/Tim Hanseroth who also co-wrote “The Joke”

Who knows if it’s Brandi but it’s for last years nominees so it would be about The Joke not Bring My Flowers Now. And if it’s about The Joke would she really be on the committee before her breakthrough year?

Twitter is saying it’s the Shawn Mendes song or Gaga or HER.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  fatma667.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  fatma667.
    rue
    Participant
    Topics:

The #18 ranked song getting selected is not the issue. I guess some media/twitter stans are missing that point. The issue is having a committee member voting their own song.

Ok, this is what I was trying to say. I was confused by the emphasis they seemed to put on having a song that was initially #18 “take the place” of other songs.

bctdocinha
    Participant
    Topics:

Ok, this is what I was trying to say. I was confused by the emphasis they seemed to put on having a song that was initially #18 “take the place” of other songs.

THIS! I think the majority of the stans didn’t even know about the committee or how it works.

deshunfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

They Beyhive going crazy comparing this to Lemonade’s AOTY loss

#howrudeofme

Seven
    Participant
    Topics:

https://twitter.com/DARKlSOVER/status/1219757812114427906?s=20 WHAT THE FUCK! The hanged a racist picture of a black gay Grammy temp. There are NO words!

I——-

wheeew

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

H.E.R. won two Grammys last year and performed her nominated song. Also, she’s very popular in the R&B world. Why is it hard to believe that she got in based on her merits?

bctdocinha
    Participant
    Topics:

They Beyhive going crazy comparing this to Lemonade’s AOTY loss

I just saw something on Twitter about Miley Cyrus’ recent singles being boycotted by the Grammys. Ugh. They’re going to use that card for everything now.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Who knows if it’s Brandi but it’s for last years nominees so it would be about The Joke not Bring My Flowers Now. And if it’s about The Joke would she really be on the committee before her breakthrough year?

Twitter is saying it’s the Shawn Mendes song or Gaga or HER.

It’s this year. Ed Sheeran’s Perfect, one of the two artists mentioned in the document whose spot was “taken by” the 18/20th song, wasn’t eligible for SOTY last year.

I would also like to clarify that Ed Sheeran and Ariana Grande were textually mentioned in Dugan’s case, despite all the other stans starting to use these news as a way to justify Grammy losses/snubs.

caleidoscopio
    Participant
    Topics:

caleidoscopio
    Participant
    Topics:

I just saw something on Twitter about Miley Cyrus’ recent singles being boycotted by the Grammys. Ugh. They’re going to use that card for everything now.

if Grammy nerds don’t know how the process works, why would stans? lol they literally believe there’s a pop committee boycotting Miley & Katy for being the most out of the box artists of all time.

rue
    Participant
    Topics:

THIS! I think the majority of the stans didn’t even know about the committee or how it works.

Exactly. The issue was not the song being nominated, it was the fact that a committee member was one of the artists/writers of the song. I’m sure songs that ranked #18 have been nominated plenty of times before.

Boz
    Participant
    Topics:

Exactly. The issue was not the song being nominated, it was the fact that a committee member was one of the artists/writers of the song. I’m sure songs that ranked #18 have been nominated plenty of times before.

Sure, but compromising two songs that would’ve made it in a straight vote for a song that barely made the top 20 and most likely would’ve missed without the artist’s relations to the committee doesn’t look cute.

Remember these are legal documents and therefore they’re going to be treated as such. Judges/lawyers are most likely not Grammy know-it-alls like we are, so in the presence of a judge, reading that of two of the biggest popstars alive were shut out might have more impact than just blanket/incognito statements. The fact that they also ranked in the top 8 (and who knows where in the top 8…) and were left off might also feel unfair to a judge, even if, technically, it is not.

rue
    Participant
    Topics:

Sure, but compromising two songs that would’ve made it in a straight vote for a song that barely made the top 20 and most likely would’ve missed without the artist’s relations to the committee doesn’t look cute. Remember these are legal documents and therefore they’re going to be treated as such. Judges/lawyers are most likely not Grammy know-it-alls like we are, so in the presence of a judge, reading that of two of the biggest popstars alive were shut out might have more impact than just blanket/incognito statements. The fact that they also ranked in the top 8 (and who knows where in the top 8…) and were left off might also feel unfair to a judge, even if, technically, it is not.

I absolutely agree and totally understand. I suppose it does make sense that they would want to make it seem more corrupt than it actually was. It just confused me too and I was wanting to make sure I understood correctly. I apologize for clogging up the thread with my confusion

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 522 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammys: Winner predictions (Part 9)’ is closed to new replies.