Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Winner predictions

2020 Grammys: Winner predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 472 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +23 hidden )
replies
views
users
deshunfenty
fortheculture
M
  • M
    Participant
    Topics:

Are you being serious about Ariana? If so, why?

Because you guys really think that the Grammy’s are going to give their top prize to one of the two newbies. That hasn’t happened since 2003 for a reason.

Billie has only one hit to her name and all of a sudden she’s this big lock to win everything lol. Same for Lizzo (although Good as Hell is picking up).

Ariana is lucky. Outside the newbies, this is a very weak lineup. She’s the only established artist nominated with a successful popular album that spawned multiple hits.

I mean there has been no bigger debut than The Fame, yet we all saw how it lost all 3 major categories.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

But that’s just my preliminary thought. I have two months to think about it.

Also I feel Tanya is being severely underestimated.

She’s one of the nominees in SoTY that has the full support of her genre, as well as a potential boost from AR thanks to Brandi Carlile.

AoTY went to less successful albums, I don’t see why SoTY can’t. Yes it hasn’t been the case, but I feel this year it’ll change considering there is no strong contender in SoTY like TIA, Shallow, Hello etc..

MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Because you guys really think that the Grammy’s are going to give their top prize to one of the two newbies. That hasn’t happened since 2003 for a reason. Billie has only one hit to her name and all of a sudden she’s this big lock to win everything lol. Same for Lizzo (although Good as Hell is picking up). Ariana is lucky. Outside the newbies, this is a very weak lineup. She’s the only established artist nominated with a successful popular album that spawned multiple hits. I mean there has been no bigger debut than The Fame, yet we all saw how it lost all 3 major categories.

Baby, I hate Billie Eilish’s music but I really think she has this in the bag. For some strange reason, (adult)people take her seriously enough for her to be a consensus choice. Ariana is liked, but she’s seen as too much of a teenybopper to win the major award, IMO. Taylor Swift is an exception thanks to her country, conservative past. And this is a very weak year, we don’t have a major A-lister to beat Billie.

IMO, Lana should win but that’s not happening when she doesn’t have a Pop Vocal nom and Billie appeals to similar voters and has the best selling album nominated, so it’s impossible. I’d rather have Ariana as a winner than Billie or Lizzo, but I don’t see it happening specially because I don’t think Billie will lose Pop Vocal Album to her. I hope I’m wrong, but I really don’t see it. Billie’s easily winning and the Engineered Album nom reinforces that idea. I know Sound & Color was nominated/won that category and still lost AOTY to 1989, but Sound & Color wasn’t a mainstream album, so it’s not really comparable.

The Fame/Poker Face isn’t a good example because it’s too… pop. And Gaga was too divisive, many people didn’t take her seriously, she wasn’t the safe choice or likable enough. Billie’s music appeals to alternative/rock voters as well.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  MarinaBelo2.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by  MarinaBelo2.
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

But that’s just my preliminary thought. I have two months to think about it. Also I feel Tanya is being severely underestimated. She’s one of the nominees in SoTY that has the full support of her genre, as well as a potential boost from AR thanks to Brandi Carlile. AoTY went to less successful albums, I don’t see why SoTY can’t. Yes it hasn’t been the case, but I feel this year it’ll change considering there is no strong contender in SoTY like TIA, Shallow, Hello etc..

Don’t be surprised if Billie sweeps the GF. Grammy voters(are lazy af) love sweeps. bad guy definitely doesn’t deserve ROTY or SOTY but if they awarded Single Ladies, This is What I Like, and 24k magic(???), they can totally award them both to Billie because she’s sweeping all the other categories anyway. SOTY lacks hits this time with the exception of Bad Guy, Truth Hurts and SYL, so the competition is weak. SYL is a typical SOTY winner, but it’s a sole nomination while Truth Hurts and bad guy have 2 more.

fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

I have been stanning Lizzo since I saw her perform at my university around 2016 for a crowd of literally like 15-20 people. I was in the student organization that booked music artists and speakers to come to our campus, and I know for a fact that she was paid less than $1000 for the performance and she needed to cover her own airfare. Now she is making hundreds of thousands for a show. Sorry that post is pointless, I just wanted to share.

fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe new artists have not won since 2003, but 2019 was not a normal year in pop music. The new guard really just usurped the old guard’s stage. Billie and Lizzo just arrived on the scene with fully realized sounds, massive singles, and huge visual aesthetics. Suddenly 2018 pop music feels like ten years ago. Like no old guard pop stars even relevant this year except for Lana and Ariana.

fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

People say that xxx9 years shape the sound of the next decade. 2019 sounds sooo completely different than the dance pop of 2009. That is why Lizzo and Billie are the most competitive in AOTY. I am still rooting for Lana however.

MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe new artists have not won since 2003, but 2019 was not a normal year in pop music. The new guard really just usurped the old guard’s stage. Billie and Lizzo just arrived on the scene with fully realized sounds, massive singles, and huge visual aesthetics. Suddenly 2018 pop music feels like ten years ago. Like no old guard pop stars even relevant this year except for Lana and Ariana.

2019, just like 2018 and 2017, was a weak year in general. The less weak of the three, sure, but still weak.

Just like “Rap song never win in the GF” and This Is America won this year, unexpected results are bound to happen because there’s no strong competition this time. Billie and Lizzo are the only realistic choices and Lizzo’s album isn’t really relevant. Billie wins by default because unlike Ariana, she appeals to a broader pool of voters.

theexterminator
    Participant
    Topics:

Things can change at anytime. Tanya being in there reminds me of Robert Plant not having any Grammy awards before teaming up with Alison Krauss for their Raising Sand release which scored them six Grammy awards all together. One came a year before the other five. Anyway, not only did they get the overall Album Of The Year award, but the overall Record of the Year Grammy was given to them too. Since Tanya is only in one general field category unlike Alison and Robert were, she could get lucky, especially since her song is about something that very few people if any can’t relate to. God bless you and Miss T and Robert and Alison always!!! Holly (a dedicated and die hard fan of Tanya and Alison both) P.S. I just now saw the Grammy track record for the Led Zepplin act which I guess is where Robert originates from and it says that four Grammy Hall Of Fame honors were given to him and the other members of the act before his album with Alison. If they are different from regular Grammy award wins, can I ask how? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awards_and_nominations_received_by_Led_Zeppelin#Grammy_Awards

Plant won 1 Grammy in 1999 (hard rock performance).

CRUNCHY
    Participant
    Topics:

Tanya Tucker is winning probably all country categories.

deshunfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

I still think Bon Iver will take AOTY. Ariana isn’t exactly the type of artist they would give AOTY Rn.

#howrudeofme

chem_x
    Participant
    Topics:

Watch Lizzo only win 2 nominations.

She will. In the past few years, artists who get a bunch of nominations never sweep. Half of them literally went home empty-handed. Lizzo is in a better chance to win somewhere, but a sweep? It’s not happening.

If anything , Lil Nas X is the person who could go home with nothing.

Noah Sims
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you all think there is any possibility of  a tie in any of the categories both GF and non-GF?

deshunfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you all think there is any possibility of a tie in any of the categories both GF and non-GF?

No. There can’t be. There wasn’t even ties this year for nominees.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  deshunfenty.
    • This reply was modified 2 months ago by  deshunfenty.

#howrudeofme

Noah Sims
    Participant
    Topics:

“Ariana deserves a lot, she made two albums in that amount of time is like shocking, and they’re both good is just insane…She did all that while having the worst year of her life & that’s very impressive. To go on stage after some shit she’s been through is unreal…”

– Billie Eilish on who should win at the Grammys

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 472 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammys: Winner predictions’ is closed to new replies.