Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Winner predictions

2020 Grammys: Winner predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 472 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +23 hidden )
replies
views
users
deshunfenty
fortheculture
M
  • thefunkydeltron
    Participant
    Topics:

7 winning AOTY is far from most likely but not impossible. Dude can get pop, rock/alternative, rap, country votes.

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

7 winning AOTY is far from most likely but not impossible. Dude can get pop, rock/alternative, rap, country votes.

Not impossible, but not likely… like you said.

fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

I put 7 at less than 1% odds at winning AOTY, in last place of all the nominees. Even the portion of voters who actually like OTR won’t really like this 18 minute EP or at least won’t consider it AOTY worthy, they will probably be rallying behind Lizzo.

My breakdown:
    NFR 21%
    CILU 20%
    WWFA,WDWG? 20%
    TUN 12%
    FOTB 10%
    i,i 4%
    IUTKH 2%
    7 1%

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  fortheculture.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  fortheculture.
    thefunkydeltron
    Participant
    Topics:

Not impossible, but not likely… like you said.

Yep.

Babygirl
    Participant
    Topics:

My breakdown: NFR 21%

Y’all need to give it up LMAO

thefunkydeltron
    Participant
    Topics:

I put 7 at less than 1% odds at winning AOTY, in last place of all the nominees. Even the portion of voters who actually like OTR won’t really like this 18 minute EP or at least won’t consider it AOTY worthy, they will probably be rallying behind Lizzo. My breakdown: NFR 21% CILU 20% WWFA,WDWG? 20% TUN 12% FOTB 10% i,i 4% IUTKH 2% 7 1%

NFR %21, no. Lana Del Rey going home empty, sad but true.

deshunfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

7 has less than half of % ;(

#howrudeofme

fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

Well there is no clear frontrunner this year, each album has different strengths and weaknesses.

Lizzo: She has the best singles but not the best album.

Billie: Some older voters will consider this kids music. Billie isn’t a songwriter and isn’t a spectacular performer, she won’t be taken seriously as a long term star in the eyes of some voters. Also, her album is simultaneously too poppy for the serious musician voters, and too weird for some pure pop voters.

Lana: Lana just shat on all these pop hos and indie bands with her new album, and she is the best vocalist and songwriter of them all. She has been a star for almost a decade now and just reached a new artistic peak. The only potential weakness here is that this is not as commercially successful as the others and she is lacking pop nominations, but she could enjoy broad cross genre and cross generational support as this type of singer songwriter album really is accessible to anyone.

Ari: Most voters will dismiss this as just another pop record

VW and Bon Iver: These albums do not represent these bands’ artistic or commercial peaks. They will split the indie rock vote and Lana will steal away many of their indie rock voters.

H.E.R. and Lil Nas X are lucky to be nominated.

deshunfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

I would describe Billie’s album more different and not your average pop album rather than poppy especially with the production presented.

I would go with Ariana’s as like teenage poppy album but with trap influences.

Lizzo also has a crossover appeal advantage as well that the other pop contenders don’t. She’s sorta a represent of pop, r&b , and hip hop she could get votes from those genre voters. She’ll definitely steal from Nas and HER. I doubt anyone is voting for them .Her pop votes could get in the way with Ariana and Billie.

Lana’s album is more accessible towards any ears of a person but I think she can’t land any pop votes as much as Billie or Ariana. That’ll be her struggle but I wouldn’t expect her to get support from them anyway. She’ll draw in the audience of conservative listeners and the rock/alternative/indie voters.

Since there is no country album . Who will the country voters go for ?

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  deshunfenty.

#howrudeofme

thefunkydeltron
    Participant
    Topics:

Well there is no clear frontrunner this year, each album has different strengths and weaknesses. Lizzo: She has the best singles but not the best album. Billie: Some older voters will consider this kids music. Billie isn’t a songwriter and isn’t a spectacular performer, she won’t be taken seriously as a long term star in the eyes of some voters. Also, her album is simultaneously too poppy for the serious musician voters, and too weird for some pure pop voters. Lana: Lana just shat on all these pop hos and indie bands with her new album, and she is the best vocalist and songwriter of them all. She has been a star for almost a decade now and just reached a new artistic peak. The only potential weakness here is that this is not as commercially successful as the others and she is lacking pop nominations, but she could enjoy broad cross genre and cross generational support as this type of singer songwriter album really is accessible to anyone. Ari: Most voters will dismiss this as just another pop record VW and Bon Iver: These albums do not represent these bands’ artistic or commercial peaks. They will split the indie rock vote and Lana will steal away many of their indie rock voters. H.E.R. and Lil Nas X are lucky to be nominated.

Lana’s chances really not that high because despite having a critically acclaimed album, her relationship with Grammy is bad. She never won one Grammy, i remember one time her Summertime Sadness remix from Cedric Gervais won a Grammy but not Lana herself. Also Grammy voters, doesn’t care about critical acclaim unless Kendrick Lamar could’ve won AOTY 3 times and Frank Ocean could’ve won AOTY for Channel Orange. Don’t come at me with Kacey Musgraves since country field totally embraced her and pop field supported her.

deshunfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

Since the country votes are big . Whoever can get those votes will probably win . Just MO.

#howrudeofme

thefunkydeltron
    Participant
    Topics:

Since the country votes are big . Whoever can get those votes will probably win . Just MO.

The closest person who can get country votes is Lil Nas. There is no Tanya Tucker, Brandi Carlile and Kacey Musgraves in AOTY. They can go with indie acts or Billie Eilish though.

fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

I believe country votes will go mostly to Lana since really this is the closest album to a country album. A few might be split between Lizzo, H.E.R., Lil Nas X, Bon Iver, Vampire Weekend. I can’t see country voters going for Billie and Ari.

Rooney Mara
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know but to me I think Billie will have split vote so much. Lets consider first what kind of artist Billie is. If we categorise her as an alternative pop artist then from alternative side she is already lacking support from alternative voter with much of them will vote 3 other contemporary alternative artist (bon iver, vampire weekend [most votes will go here], lana). The same formula also works for Rock voter. If she hopes to get vote from pop side, she will compete with ariana (most votes will go here), lana or maybe lizzo. Urban contemporary voter I guess will vote lizzo, where RnB side will vote HER. I doubt rap/hiphop community will vote lil nas since the album is not critically acclaimed, so maybe they likely will vote lizzo here because she is quite hip-hop. Billie is not country, folk, or dance artist. I am very doubtful to whoever saying Billie will get vote from these genre voter. Billie is new to industry, I doubt country/americana/folk voter is so open to new pop culture. I believe they tend to vote contemporary artists. Country and americana voters likely will vote Lana or Vampire weekend since their music have certain element of it, where folk voter will support bon iver. I also doubt dance voter will vote for her, since her music doesn’t represent dance at all. Dance voter will likely to cast their vote over Ariana. So looking at the reader poll, it is quite weird cause I know most of you all like representing as pop voter which is not very equally representing grammy voter at all. If we want to get real of these “which artist will get many votes based on genre” I believe Lizzo and Vampire Weekend is the safest bet.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Rooney Mara.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 1 week ago by  Rooney Mara.
    fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

Lizzo will definitely have most of the hiphop vote

Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 472 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammys: Winner predictions’ is closed to new replies.