Home Forums Music 2020 Grammys: Winner predictions

2020 Grammys: Winner predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 472 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +23 hidden )
replies
views
users
deshunfenty
fortheculture
M
  • mnk7
    Participant
    Topics:

Y’all are dismissing Norman Fucking Rockwell too much. Out of the 8 nominees, NFR! is the one with the highest acclaim and, although it did not reach n1 in BB200, it debuted with over 100k copies, which is quite good, considering how messy this era was. The album is also not doing badly on streaming services, she’s not pulling huge numbers, but it’s doing quite well.
    Just how this album completely changed the industry’s perception of Lana Del Rey, how it shifted since the release of Born To Die, which was met with polarizing views. Norman Fucking Rockwell! has a lot going on to be able to snatch AOTY.

More Than a Woman
    Participant
    Topics:

Y’all are dismissing Norman Fucking Rockwell too much. Out of the 8 nominees, NFR! is the one with the highest acclaim and, although it did not reach n1 in BB200, it debuted with over 100k copies, which is quite good, considering how messy this era was. The album is also not doing badly on streaming services, she’s not pulling huge numbers, but it’s doing quite well. Just how this album completely changed the industry’s perception of Lana Del Rey, how it shifted since the release of Born To Die, which was met with polarizing views. Norman Fucking Rockwell! has a lot going on to be able to snatch AOTY.

Hate to break it to you, but critical acclaim doesn’t mean shit to the Grammys or else Lemonade, Melodrama and Dirty Computer would’ve won album of the Year. Lana will be the next Lorde in this situation.

deshunfenty
    Participant
    Topics:

^ Yea . We don’t know what genre would support her in terms of voting. (She could probably get a few rock/alt votes) She couldn’t even get into Pop Vocal. She’ll have a better chance when she releases “White Hot Forever”

Lmao. It’s gonna take a miracle if she was to win anything. The nomination is just winning itself . She finally broke into the GF.

#howrudeofme

fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

Out of NFR, Dirty Computer, Lemonade, and Melodrama, I would say NFR is most similar to Melodrama.

Dirty Computer was critically acclaimed and well liked, it checked all the boxes of being a good respectable album but didn’t do much more than that. I don’t think it elicited as much passion and fandom as Melodrama or NFR, it was also a little too indie sounding to appeal to R&B/hiphop voters which would be a much needed voting block for this type of album to win. I don’t think Dirty Computer was ever competitive for AOTY.

Lemonade is obviously the outlier of these four albums. First, it’s not really in the same genre of indie pop with the other three albums, lemonade is a mainstream pop album that leans towards R&B and hiphop. Beyonce was seen as the front runner and the industry behemoth pop star, while these other three stars are more outsider indie stars or singer/songwriter stars. This does influences voters.

Comparing NFR to Melodrama is the most fare comparison. I just have to hope that voters view NFR as the better crafted album and that is has more cross genre appeal. Lana also has the advantage of being severely overdue, a stronger narrative, and being nominated in Best Song which Lorde did not have.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Album of the Year is so weak this year.

Watch next year have Beyoncé, Adele, Rihanna, Kendrick, Gaga, Bruno fighting for nominations let alone wins.

chem_x
    Participant
    Topics:

Imagining a scenario where all the country voters go for Tanya Tucker in SOTY since they have no album to root for. Realistic? Idk.

In addition to that, I’m imagining a scenario where Lizzo and Billie only get one win each (Urban Contemporary and BNA, respectfully). That would be wild. But I’m always wary of newcomers sweeping and/or people who get a bunch of nominations.

PoweR
    Participant
    Topics:

I doubt Lizzo sweeps the R&B Field. I think she will lose R&B Performance to H.E.R., and Traditional R&B Performance is a question mark, simply because “Jerome” seems a little lightweight for that category and I can see PJ Morton winning for a second time. If they want to give Lizzo a throwaway Grammy, then Traditional R&B would be a go for her. Urban Contemporary Album is pretty much a lock for her.

I just feel like her biggest impression is “Truth Hurts,” and that’s why I see it winning SOTY and Pop Solo Performance.

Lizzo’s team is on it, though. Getting her on the much anticipated SNL episode featuring Eddie Murphy is bound to get her a ton of votes. I think she will win the most awards.

mnk7
    Participant
    Topics:

Can Lana Del Rey please start campaigning now? Imagine a comeback to SNL.

Bee
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s strange seeing social media turn on Lizzo in a complete 180 this past week lol.

ayanami
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s strange seeing social media turn on Lizzo in a complete 180 this past week lol.

I knew it would happen. People, especially internet spokespeople, will always turn on anyone who’s on top. It’s standard procedure at this point.

Before his 2018 sweep, Bruno was pretty beloved. Now he’s one of the most “overrated” musicians. Also the “culture vulture” comments grew exponentially.

Lizzo was beloved, like a month ago. Now she’s “overrated” and “trying too hard” once she has scooped up the most nominations this year. Watch when she beats Billie for a couple of awards for Truth Hurts. People will claim Lizzo is a fad for being eligible despite releasing the song years ago.

It’s why a couple of months ago, I was shocked supporters of Lizzo on Goldderby were adamant about wanting her to win BNA. I would not want that for Lizzo at all, knowing how dumb the internet will react to it. The backlash Lizzo will face for winning BNA would be inevitable. Let Billie take the damn award. Between them, Billie should take the BNA curse. Lizzo deserves the longer career.

It’s dumb because it’s sometimes even the same people who support one person until they start “succeeding too much.” In Lizzo’s case, let the damn girl obsess over chart success and awards recognition. We all would love that shit for ourselves. Lizzo just isn’t afraid to admit it. She keeps it real.

Why can’t we be happy for the underdogs AND the winners? People love an underdog, until they finally get their due. It’s so stupid. It’s a jealous mentality, imo.

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Tanya Tucker winning SoTY would be very deserved.

Let us have a worthy SoTY for once! Last one I can think of is Hello by Adele.

fortheculture
    Participant
    Topics:

I have been waiting for like 7 years for Lana’s SNL redemption performance! And also why has she not headlined Coachella yet? She is such an obvious choice for Coachella. After her AOTY nomination, I feel like SNL round two is imminent.

The next two years are going to be so damn crowded that I suspect that some of these artists will just keep their albums in the oven to avoid entering the blitz. Rihanna’s first of two upcoming albums is rumored to drop next month.

ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

In a perfect world:

AOTY: Billie Eilish

ROTY: Old Town Road

SOTY: Lover

BNA: Lizzo

Barnacles Bro

ELIAS
    Participant
    Topics:

Album of the Year is so weak this year. Watch next year have Beyoncé, Adele, Rihanna, Kendrick, Gaga, Bruno fighting for nominations let alone wins.

Lmao y’all really believe these artists will releasing anything this year. The only one I see likely is Rihanna or Adele but rest shouldn’t release anything yet. Kendrick should release end of 2020, maybe a lead single during this would be good. Beyoncé should stay dormit. Bruno wont release anything until 2021 maybe, but a lead single could happen. I could expect from people we normally wouldn’t expect: Halsey, Selena Gomez, Camila Cabello, Cardi B, Lana Del Rey are releasing next year. But I think someone we normally don’t think of atm is Justin Bieber. Next year would make 5 years since Purpose came out. I think he will release a couple songs and maybe an album. Who knows what this year holds. Hopefully it’s good.

Barnacles Bro

M
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, “Bring My Flowers Now” has no chance in hell of winning Song of the Year. It was NOT a top 5 hit.

I mean, Golden Hour won last year without being commercially successful.

Country Songs are never hits anyway, at least as of recently. When was the last time a country song topped Billboard charts?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 472 total)

The topic ‘2020 Grammys: Winner predictions’ is closed to new replies.