Home Forums Music 2020 Video Music Awards Thread (Part 4)

2020 Video Music Awards Thread (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Andresg770
Brenda Meeks
vinny
  • Profile picture
    rue
    Topics:

0.7 its from one channel not overall

Oh sorry. My bad.

FYC:

AOTY: folklore, Gaslighter, Kid Krow, Ungodly Hour, Punisher, SAWAYAMA, Future Nostalgia, Manic

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Andresg770
    Topics:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/sunday-tv-ratings-big-brother-chadwick-boseman-tribute-last-man-standing-nhl-hockey-mtv-video-music-awards/amp/

0.7m tv viewers on CW

black panther got over 6m viewers

Isn’t that like on par with most CW shows though (lol)? The only ones that got clowned were CBS, with ABC totally ruining their viewership for Big Brother and Love Island. (Still, it’s a terrible look that the VMAs were edged out in the ratings by a Simpsons rerun. But again, Fox still reaches more markets than the CW, no?)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brenda Meeks
    Topics:

I feel like most ppl were watching Black Panther last night. Outside of GD, I really didn’t see a lot of VMA chatter online.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    cc
    Topics:

VMA viewership only down by 5%

6.8mil 2019 ➡️ 6.4 2020

the 6.8m figure includes the pre-show, main show, and encores) actual 2019 show racked in 4.9m

41.1m impressions on social media, second only to the Super Bowl this year (behind by 7%)

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/2020-mtv-vmas-ratings-1234754951/

Cenizas - Nicolás Jaar

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    cc
    Topics:

Honestly much better numbers than I thought

Cenizas - Nicolás Jaar

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ciguanaba
    Topics:

VMA viewership only down by 5% 6.8mil 2019 ➡️ 6.4 2020 the 6.8m figure includes the pre-show, main show, and encores) actual 2019 show racked in 4.9m 41.1m impressions on social media, second only to the Super Bowl this year (behind by 7%) https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/2020-mtv-vmas-ratings-1234754951/

And the social media impressions is where you really see the engagement and advertisers care a lot about that. Well done MTV. You are no longer a music channel but you keep on soldiering on with the VMAs and we honor you.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Andresg770
    Topics:

A couple of facts and figures from the VMAs this year (in case people are curious):

* Gaga finally broke her 3-way tie with Eminem and Peter Gabriel for 3rd place in all-time VMAs. She’s only 2 wins away from Madonna and 7 away from Beyoncé.

* Taylor is now tied with Green Day and JT in total wins (11), and she’s become the third artist (first female one) to win Best Direction as sole video director (the first two were Beck in 1997 and the Beastie Boys’ Adam Yauch in 2011; George Michael [1988], Erykah Badu [2008], and Kendrick Lamar [2017] won as co-directors).

* Ariana shot up the all-time ranks with a total of now 9 wins (tied with Fatboy Slim and Janet Jackson).

* BTS was 1 of 2 new artists to be added to the “Biggest Winners” chart in the Wiki article (which starts at 5 wins). Not only have they racked up 6 VMAs in 2 years, they also won ALL FOUR of their nominations last night (arguably more dominant than Gaga and Ariana).

* The other artist was a bit of a sleeper: J. Balvin. He won his 5th VMA last night as a featured artist in Maluma’s “Qué Pena.” In fact, he’s also won the Best Latin award EVERY YEAR since its creation in 2018.

* A whopping 14 awards were presented on the main show last night (including the Tricon Award and that first responders award that everyone won). I don’t even need to look this up, but I’m 100% sure that we haven’t seen that number at the VMAs since that failed 2007 revamp where they pared the awards down to like 8 (plus 3 tech categories).

* Finally, Miley Cyrus finally has more VMAs than her dad. With her two wins last night, she has a total of 3 VMAs (compared to Billy Ray’s 2 wins last year for “Old Town Road”). Noah has some catching up to do!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CyberFunk
    Topics:

6.4M is pretty good for the VMAs, especially with covid, social unrest and Boseman’s passing.

They averted a disaster I guess. The show was overall messy. But it was digestible at least. I have to say The Weekend and Gaga’s performances saved the show. The other performances were quite bad especially DaBaby. The playback was louder than his live mic feed. Such a mess

The person who benefited the most from this event is Gaga. This paid off. Her performance got 7.6M in 24 hours.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jjjmoss1
    Topics:

6.4M is pretty good for the VMAs, especially with covid, social unrest and Boseman’s passing. They averted a disaster I guess. The show was overall messy. But it was digestible at least. I have to say The Weekend and Gaga’s performances saved the show. The other performances were quite bad especially DaBaby. The playback was louder than his live mic feed. Such a mess The person who benefited the most from this event is Gaga. This paid off. Her performance got 7.6M in 24 hours.

Well BTS got 13M if we’re using that as the metric.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CyberFunk
    Topics:

Well BTS got 13M if we’re using that as the metric.

I was talking about impact in the U.S: https://www.youtube.com/feed/trending

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brenda Meeks
    Topics:

VMA viewership only down by 5%

6.8mil 2019 ➡️ 6.4 2020

the 6.8m figure includes the pre-show, main show, and encores) actual 2019 show racked in 4.9m

41.1m impressions on social media, second only to the Super Bowl this year (behind by 7%)

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/2020-mtv-vmas-ratings-1234754951/

Congrats to MTV. I wasn’t expecting those numbers. I suspect the addition of multiple international acts helped boost their numbers.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Michael Murray
    Topics:

Missed the show, very grateful to this thread for keeping me up to date. I started to watch it on youtube but I don’t have enough time after work. I am at about fifty percent of the show. The sound & light hire company in Guildford we’re able to help is the company that can organize a full scale event experience at home. My neighbour bought a sound system from them and when he parties you can hear the music from several blocks away. Since someone called the police I haven’t heard any music, what a waste of money.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Andresg770
    Topics:

I know this show is old news at this point and everyone’s focused on the Grammys and Latin Grammys… But I was reading an article about the Shmemmys Creative Arts Emmys, and apparently the Academy asked ALL nominees (for nights 1-4) to pre-record acceptance speeches and apparently 96% did it: https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/creative-arts-emmys-night-4-winners-list-1234772831/

Meanwhile, MTV couldn’t even get Ariana to record a speech for that one category “Stuck with U” won — and she was a PERFORMER this year. Talk about proof of your fading relevance as a network lol

Seriously, though, I’m wondering what it’s gonna be like for the Shmammys pre-telecast Grammys, which tend to have a fair number of “podium accepts” (though artists probably won’t have the excuse of “I’m touring abroad”).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    CyberFunk
    Topics:

*18T03:38:27+00:00″>Shmemmys Creative Arts Emmys, and apparently the Academy asked ALL nominees (for nights 1-4) to pre-record acceptance speeches and apparently 96% did it: https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/creative-arts-emmys-night-4-winners-list-1234772831/

That’s actually a terrible idea. I can’t imagine how in-genuine these speeches felt.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 14 posts - 46 through 59 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.