Home Forums Music 2021/2022 Best New Artist Predictions

2021/2022 Best New Artist Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 212 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
Diamond Tier
Darren
braydenfitzsi..
  • Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Country is not polarizing. LOL Many genre artists have won in the GF & BNA.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Country is not polarizing. LOL Many genre artists have won in the GF & BNA.

LeAnn Rimes, Carrie Underwood, and the Zac Brown Band are the only country artists who have won Best New Artist in the 60+ year history of the Grammys. Carrie needed a pop crossover hit (not to mention American Idol) to do so, and the Zac Brown Band only won because of Lady Gaga’s ineligibility.

Olivia Rodrigo has comparable stats to Morgan Wallen, and there’s a long track record of voters preferring young female pop artists in that category.

You clearly do not know what you’re talking about. Morgan was never winning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Country is one of the most profitable fields in music. How TF is it polarizing? History has shown that artists who sell well in the genre can win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Country is one of the most profitable fields in music. How TF is it polarizing? History has shown that artists who sell well in the genre can win.

Hip-hop is also one of the biggest genres in music, and it’s also polarizing.

There is a large group of people who would categorize their music taste as “everything except country and/or rap.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Literally any genre of music can be categorized as “polarizing” according to that explanation LOL including Pop & Rock.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Literally any genre of music can be categorized as “polarizing” according to that explanation LOL including Pop & Rock.

Then explain why there’s a lengthy track record of pop and rock winning GF categories and not so for country or hip-hop. Even accounting for how relatively new hip-hop is as a genre, the numbers are low.

We are literally not even 5 years removed from Dua Lipa beating Luke Combs despite him being much bigger than her, stateside, at the time. How on earth do you think Morgan would have ever had a shot at beating Olivia when she’s on par with him?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Then explain why there’s a lengthy track record of pop and rock winning GF categories and not so for country or hip-hop.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

White people are responsible for country music routinely underperforming in the main categories? Huh.

This also shouldn’t explain why hip-hop underperforms considering how much of its audience is white.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Country music has won more times in the GF than Hip-Hop. Any person with a brain knows Rap is a predominately Black genre & voters are biased against Black artists. Duh.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Country music has won more times in the GF than Hip-Hop.

Considering I can count the amount of hip-hop GF winners on two hands, this isn’t an accomplishment.

Also, very telling that most of the recent GF country winners were either pop crossover hits (“Need You Now”) or won specifically because of their outsider status to mainstream country music (Dixie Chicks, Golden Hour).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Considering I can count the amount of hip-hop GF winners on less than two hands, this isn’t an accomplishment.

Black artists/music do NOT win in the GF due to obvious bias. What’s hard to understand about that concept? As a supposed Black user, you should know.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Black artists/music do NOT win in the GF due to obvious bias. What’s hard to understand about that concept? As a supposed Black user, you should know.

Same bias that helped Lauryn Hill, Outkast, Childish Gambino, H.E.R., Beyoncé, etc. win in the general field?

I said it before and I’ll say it again: country and hip-hop don’t regularly win in the general field because they are polarizing genres. Pop and rock music is typically inoffensive stuff that a lot of people can get behind. And yes, race does play somewhat of a role in why hip-hop is a polarizing genre – its origins are as an abrasive, disruptive genre to white audiences, often commenting on political issues that aren’t relevant to white audiences.

Notice that the few hip-hop and R&B songs that have won break the mold from other counterparts in their genre. “Single Ladies” was a pop crossover hit and a cultural phenomenon. “This Is America” and “I Can’t Breathe” were commentaries on racism and police brutality at a time when white Americans were becoming more aware to their harsh realities. Outkast won AOTY with an album that had multiple cross-genre (urban, pop, alternative) smash hits. Chance the Rapper was an underdog pick, a champion of the indies who proved that you don’t need the backing of a major label to make it big. I could go on.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

I’ll just leave this Wikipedia article here. Enjoy 🙂

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Try reading a fucking book and not Wikipedia for once in your life.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

I figured Wikipedia would be easier for you to open than a book. My apologies lol

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 212 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.