Home Forums Music 2021/2022 Best New Artist Predictions

2021/2022 Best New Artist Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 210 total)
Created
9 months ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
replies
views
users
Music Forever
Darren
Gucci
  • Profile picture
    TomJerry
    Topics:

Same bias that helped Lauryn Hill, Outkast, Childish Gambino, H.E.R., Beyoncé, etc. win in the general field?

That same bias, as statistics shows, probably hurts black artists chances more than actually help them.

I said it before and I’ll say it again: country and hip-hop don’t regularly win in the general field because they are polarizing genres. Pop and rock music is typically inoffensive stuff that a lot of people can get behind.

I mean I guess but Pop and rock music both have a history of being “offensive”.

It’s just that Pop and rock music just happen to be more mainstream and mix of subgenres. Thus, more voters could connect or, in a sense, familiarize to those type of music a lot easier. But I agree w/ some of your points.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

I mean I guess but Pop and rock music both have a history of being “offensive”.

I don’t mean in terms of subject material, although I can think of pop and rock records that were hurt by this as they ruffled too many feathers. I meant that pop and rock is wide-appealing material that doesn’t step on too many toes or put too many people out of their comfort zone.

Rock is often seen as the de facto standard for “real music” (y’know, organic instrumentation and whatnot). Pop music, by definition, appeals to the masses and is generally considered easy listening. So it’s not that big of a surprise that those are the two dominant genres at the Grammys.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TomJerry
    Topics:

I don’t mean in terms of subject material, although I can think of pop and rock records that were hurt by this as they ruffled too many feathers. I meant that pop and rock is wide-appealing material that doesn’t ruffle too many feathers. Rock is often seen as the de facto standard for “real music” (y’know, organic instrumentation and whatnot). Pop music, by definition, appeals to the masses and is generally considered easy listening. So it’s not that big of a surprise that those are the two dominant genres at the Grammys.

But they do ruffle feathers. It’s just that because again they’re a mix of diff. subgenres, they consistently get more votes.  Since voters can only vote on a limited amount of categories Pop and Rock just happen to be more accessible in general. A percentage of this genre can get from that.

Okay.. so I think we just probably approach the subject matter a little more differently.

**Also I’m pretty sure country music (so does Jazz, Classical, etc.) uses organic/real instrumentation so I really don’t get your point.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

**Also I’m pretty sure country music (so does Jazz, Classical, etc.) uses organic/real instrumentation so I really don’t get your point.

Jazz and classical also have that reputation but lack the broader popularity of rock music.

Country’s problem, and why it is so polarizing for many people, is a lot of people can’t get past the thick accents and stereotypical subject matter (beers, trucks, girls) that permeates so much of its most popular material. Notice that Grammy voters tend to support artists who subvert these expectations (Kacey Musgraves, Chris Stapleton) or country/pop crossover artists (Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

I meant that pop and rock is wide-appealing material that doesn’t step on too many toes or put too many people out of their comfort zone.

Lies. There are countless examples of Pop & Rock offending the masses. Clearly you don’t know music history.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Bitch, shut the entire fuck up with your lack of reading comprehension. You have got to be the most annoying and illiterate person on these forums.

Your response was already accounted for and addressed in an earlier reply of mine, on this very page. I’m not going to point it out to you.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

There is no point. That user just wants to debate about his pretentious & inaccurate theories about music. No need to go back & forth with him. He’s clearly out of his league on this discussion.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

The grown folks are having a discussion, please make your way back to the kids’ table.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

LOL! Actual grown folks would never diminish the legacies of music icons & carelessly use the N-word on a public forum. But continue.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Diana Ross is still a talentless hack, Whitney Houston is still a dead crackhead, I’m still black, and you’re still annoying. Good night!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

Diana Ross is still a talentless hack, Whitney Houston is still a dead crackhead, I’m still black, and you’re still annoying. Good night!

Grown folk behavior, folks. Sweet dreams.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

On a serious note, I am tired of you repeatedly (at least three times now) bringing up my casual, non-derogatory use of the word “nigga” in conversation yesterday – after I already informed you that I’m black – in an attempt to mislead everyone who hasn’t been reading every post into thinking I’m a non-black person who used it in a racist way. Argue with me all you want but you don’t need to LIE to people to prove a point.

That’s all.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ELIAS✨
    Topics:

lol y’all this is Grammy predictions, not a Wendy’s 🥴 love y’all but can we just make up and move on?

RIP SOPHIE

~FAVORITE ALBUMS~
    Call Me If You Get Lost
    Cavalcade
    Daddy’s Home
    Dawn of Chromatica
    Donda (My Version)
    For the First Time
    HEAUX Tales
    Inside
    Montero
    Nurture
    Promises
    Roadrunner
    Sinner Get Ready
    Sometimes I Might Be Introvert
    SOUR
    The Turning Wheel

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

Anybody can jump on the Internet, hide behind an anonymous profile, & use the N-word. It’s careless, especially around these parts, to use a word like that. It gives permission to others to feel they can do the same. Which is problematic AF.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

lol y’all this is Grammy predictions, not a Wendy’s 🥴 love y’all but can we just make up and move on?

Omg I love Wendy’s! I’ll have a Baconator with a large fry & strawberry lemonade pls 🙂 going back & forth with these delusional users makes a Bish hungry lol

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 210 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.