Home Forums Music 2021/2022 GRAMMY Pop Field Contenders (Part 2)

2021/2022 GRAMMY Pop Field Contenders (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 506 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
nxddyfs
Agee
Diamond Tier
  • Profile picture
    alex.g
    Topics:

Actually, last 3 Pop Vocal Album winners had also big acclaim, Sweetener, WWAFAWDG and Future Nostalgia ended up high on the YEC of AOTY.org. I think if you have hits you win and the acclaim is sealing the deal, as an extra. All last 3 winners had interesting production and connected producers won POTY, too. I actually consider this good, because they kinda evaluate the project as a whole it seems. Ariana and Justin so far have the hits, Miley has the interesting production for me. I dont see Taylor winning after losing to Dua this year. The upcoming Billie album is the safest bet all things considered and if Therefore I Am is in the tracklist it is even better for its chances.

Recent winners had decent acclaim, but it wouldn’t be a reliable guide in predicting pop winners over the last 5 years.

2021 – Future Nostalgia (88) won over Folklore (88)
    2020 – WWAFA WDWG (82) won over TUN (86) – NFR (87) and Honey (89) were eligible
    2019 – Sweetener (81) won – more acclaimed pop albums eligible, e.g. Bloom (85)
    2018 – Divide (62) won over Rainbow (81) – Melodrama (91) was eligible
    2017 – 25 (75) won over Dangerous Woman (76)

Using Metacritic as guide, only in 2019 we can say the most acclaimed nominee won in BPVA. In 2021 folklore was a little more acclaimed than FN, especially if we take year end lists into account. Even when a much more acclaimed album can reach #1 on the charts (2018), it’s not always a good bet for nomination, let alone winning.

Edit: added Honey by Robyn

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

Recent winners had decent acclaim, but it wouldn’t be a reliable guide in predicting pop winners over the last 5 years. 2021 – Future Nostalgia (88) won over Folklore (88) 2020 – WWAFA WDWG (82) won over TUN (86) – NFR (87) and Honey (89) were eligible 2019 – Sweetener (81) won – more acclaimed pop albums eligible, e.g. Bloom (85) 2018 – Divide (62) won over Rainbow (81) – Melodrama (91) was eligible 2017 – 25 (75) won over Dangerous Woman (76) Using Metacritic as guide, only in 2019 we can say the most acclaimed nominee won in BPVA. In 2021 folklore was a little more acclaimed than FN, especially if we take year end lists into account. Even when a much more acclaimed album can reach #1 on the charts (2018), it’s not always a good bet for nomination, let alone winning. Edit: added Honey by Robyn

Actually metacritic doesn’t say the whole story, year-end lists by critics are more accurate for acclaim than metacritic, Billies album was above Arianas, despite lower metacritic and Dua with Taylor was neck to neck. Sweetener was the top performing pop vocal nominee  in YE lists. I am only talking results between nominated artists, cause Honey and Bloom had no hits to be considered in the pop vocal album category.

Profile picture
    JJS5056
    Topics:

I don’t know why people here care so much about GF wins. At the end of the day, the general public will be calling Beyoncé twenty-eight time grammy winner. They’re not going to dissect and call her one-time SOTY winner or whatever. Even when introducing artists, they always do so by mentioning how many grammy’s won overall.

Because a low % of the elusive ‘GP’ will ever mention Beyonce’s Grammy wins, period. Yes, a Grammy is a Grammy, but it’s like asking those ‘who know’ why an Oscar in held in higher esteem than a Golden Globe. GF are the most rare,  exclusive awards and thus, will always be most valuable.

Multiple albums/songs receive genre wins, but there’s only 1 song, 1 album, 1 record ‘of the year.’ A GF win means your work was voted the best of its kind – a defining project of that year – by the entire body.

There’s also lack of consistency and quality control in the genre categories. Pop only recently awarded Best Male, Female, Group, Collaboration — 4 awards / winners. And, while the BRP ensures a ‘Yummy’ would never make ROTY, we see bizarre lineups consistently in Pop, explained away by low turn-out, low passion, etc. – which simply don’t impact the GF.

“Namechecks”/over-awarding at the genre level has become a way to ‘make up’ for lack of GF recognition, which in turn weakens the Big 3 by emphasizing politics and narrative over the ‘best of the year,’ IMO.

Profile picture
    nxddyfs
    Topics:

Now that I am thinking about it, Scooter has 3 artists to promote for pop field nominations.

Ariana is definitely in, she does not need Scooter’s help as she is known by pop voters already. I do think that this time he will be pushing Demi more than Justin. I mean it’s her “comeback” to music and she has an Ariana collab coming up (which he will be pushing for BPDGP).

Profile picture
    alex.g
    Topics:

Actually metacritic doesn’t say the whole story, year-end lists by critics are more accurate for acclaim than metacritic, Billies album was above Arianas, despite lower metacritic and Dua with Taylor was neck to neck. Sweetener was the top performing pop vocal nominee in YE lists. I am only talking results between nominated artists, cause Honey and Bloom had no hits to be considered in the pop vocal album category.

Neither metacritic or albumoftheryear.org or year end lists tell the full story, but year-end lists are not more accurate for acclaim, they are simply different. The year end lists tend to favour the albums that are best remembered and most talked about in mainstream media.

Regardless of which you use, the most acclaimed album nominated didn’t win pop in 2021 and if we only want to talk about the acclaim of nominated albums, then we have a long wait.

Critical acclaim doesn’t help much at the Grammys overall, although it does help get an AOTY or other general field nomination (but not win) and is probably the most useless thing to have in pop.

Profile picture
    hillslight
    Topics:

Now that I am thinking about it, Scooter has 3 artists to promote for pop field nominations. Ariana is definitely in, she does not need Scooter’s help as she is known by pop voters already. I do think that this time he will be pushing Demi more than Justin. I mean it’s her “comeback” to music and she has an Ariana collab coming up (which he will be pushing for BPDGP).

I agree that Ariana won’t be a priority, but I still think Justin is his #1.

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

34+35 is projected to spend a 11th week top10 and Levitating is projected to spend a 12th week top10 on Hot 100. I think Bieber won’t submit Holy, but Peaches.

Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

34+35 is projected to spend a 11th week top10 and Levitating is projected to spend a 12th week top10 on Hot 100. I think Bieber won’t submit Holy, but Peaches.

He will submit Peaches to R&B where it belongs.

Profile picture
    joesilver
    Topics:

He will submit Peaches to R&B where it belongs.

It belongs to R&B but will the R&B pannel accept Justin Bieber?

Profile picture
    blackwidow12
    Topics:

It belongs to R&B but will the R&B pannel accept Justin Bieber?

The fact that it features R&B grammy winner Daniel Caesar and R&B grammy nominee Giveon will surly help.

Profile picture
    Agee
    Topics:

Honey, the R&B panel will NOT accept “Peaches.”  Justin Bieber will be in Pop again.

Profile picture
    nxddyfs
    Topics:

The fact that it features R&B grammy winner Daniel Caesar and R&B grammy nominee Giveon will surly help.

This, plus hasn’t the song been sent to urban radio?

Profile picture
    lipabridgerstwigs
    Topics:

Imo, Peaches will get past the screening panel. He’s done it before with Journals.

R&B is way too unpredictable though so I don’t really know how likely a nomination is. H.E.R getting 2 R&B song nominations this year and neither of them being I Can’t Breathe is so ?????

FYC
    AOTY: Blue Weekend-Wolf Alice
    ROTY/SOTY: WAP-Cardi B ft. Megan Thee Stallion
    Best Drama Actress: Mj Rodriguez

Profile picture
    HaimOnRye
    Topics:

Because a low % of the elusive ‘GP’ will ever mention Beyonce’s Grammy wins, period. Yes, a Grammy is a Grammy, but it’s like asking those ‘who know’ why an Oscar in held in higher esteem than a Golden Globe. GF are the most rare, exclusive awards and thus, will always be most valuable. Multiple albums/songs receive genre wins, but there’s only 1 song, 1 album, 1 record ‘of the year.’ A GF win means your work was voted the best of its kind – a defining project of that year – by the entire body. There’s also lack of consistency and quality control in the genre categories. Pop only recently awarded Best Male, Female, Group, Collaboration — 4 awards / winners. And, while the BRP ensures a ‘Yummy’ would never make ROTY, we see bizarre lineups consistently in Pop, explained away by low turn-out, low passion, etc. – which simply don’t impact the GF. “Namechecks”/over-awarding at the genre level has become a way to ‘make up’ for lack of GF recognition, which in turn weakens the Big 3 by emphasizing politics and narrative over the ‘best of the year,’ IMO.

All of this for this year’s Aoty lineup to be what it was lol

Profile picture
    nxddyfs
    Topics:

All of this for this year’s Aoty lineup to be what it was lol

LMAO

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 506 total)

The topic ‘2021/2022 GRAMMY Pop Field Contenders (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.