Home Forums Music 2021/2022 GRAMMY Pop Field Contenders (Part 5)

2021/2022 GRAMMY Pop Field Contenders (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 686 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
replies
views
users
2021ravenclaw1
naveand24
Deemy
  • Profile picture
    lipabridgerstwigs
    Topics:

My personal ranking of the BPVA top 7 with eligibility basically being over. I can’t really see anyone outside of these 7 making it but stranger things have happened.

1. SOUR-Olivia Rodrigo

Not expanding on why this is getting a BPVA nom since it’s clearly l*cked.

2. Happier Than Ever-Billie Eilish

See Sour explanation

———————————–

3. evermore-Taylor Swift

I know a lot of people will disagree with Taylor being this high but I personally think the fact that she’s coming off an AOTY win will get her in. The fact that she’s released like 50 songs this year will keep her on voter’s minds. Finally, lots of voters are also indie artists and I feel like the re-releases could give her good will with them.
    However, evermore feels like a total no1curr. It’s very old and the general consensus is that it’s a lesser version of folklore, which has already been rewarded.

4. Justice-Justin Bieber

He massively overperformed last year so voters clearly do like him. He’s featured on the biggest song of the year and Justice had several radio hits (“Holy” and “Lonely”) in addition to a song that was both a radio and streaming hit. (“Peaches”) Depending on how “Ghost” does, he might also have a song peaking during voting.
    That being said, Justin has been totally shutout in pop for past albums (Believe). His nominations last year got lots of backlash which might make voters hesitant to check him off again.

5. Montero-Lil Nas X

He’s one of the most talked about artists of the year and has two mega smashes. Montero, unlike 7 (EP), got fantastic reviews which proves people take him a lot more seriously this time around. He’s also a previous winner in pop.
    Some of the antics he’s doing may rub voters the wrong way. The debut numbers were also fairly underwhelming so voters might just check off the singles and call it a day.

———————————–

6. Positions-Ariana Grande

This album is so old/forgotten and basically everyone agrees that it’s one of Ariana’s weaker projects. Ariana also has zero momentum currently and I’m not entirely sure being on The Voice will have that much of an impact.
    Still, Ariana has been a consistent namecheck for 7 years to the point where she got fucking “Boyfriend” nominated. It did fantastic on pop radio and “Positions” and “34 + 35” were quite big. Judging by Justin Bieber last year, its middling reception won’t really hurt Ariana that much.

7. Planet Her-Doja Cat

I think Doja will be hurt if it turns out voters aren’t really on TikTok. A lot of the reason why it’s as big as it is is because a new song goes viral there every week. So if voters aren’t part of that demographic, they’re not gonna be aware of how big it is.
    “Kiss Me More” and “You Right” were both smashes on radio so voters are still going to be familiar with the album, even if they aren’t on TikTok. “Need To Know” is growing on radio (at #33 today) and might be peaking during voting. Plus, Doja made a very competitive pop solo lineup last year when most of us had her out.

Emmy award winner Julianne Nicholson

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Current predictions as the eligibility period winds down, ranked by descending likelihood of being nominated:

Pop Solo Performance
    1. Olivia Rodrigo – Drivers License/Good 4 U
    2. Billie Eilish – Happier Than Ever/Therefore I Am
    3. Lil Nas X – Montero (Call Me By Your Name)
    4. Ed Sheeran – Bad Habits
    5. Ariana Grande – Positions

Alternates – We’re Good (Dua Lipa), Golden (Harry Styles), Willow (Taylor Swift), Without You (The Kid Laroi), Anyone/Ghost (Justin Bieber), Need to Know (Doja Cat)

Pop Duo/Group Performance
    1. Doja Cat feat. SZA – Kiss Me More
    2. Dua Lipa feat. DaBaby – Levitating
    3. Justin Bieber feat. Daniel Caesar & Giveon – Peaches
    4. Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga – I Get a Kick Out of You
    5. Lil Nas X & Jack Harlow – Industry Baby

Alternates – Stay (The Kid Laroi & Justin Bieber), My Universe (Coldplay & BTS), Cold Heart (Elton John & Dua Lipa), Lo Vas a Olvidar (Billie Eilish & Rosalía), Butter (BTS), Rumors (Lizzo & Cardi B)

Pop Vocal Album
    1. Olivia Rodrigo – Sour
    2. Billie Eilish – Happier Than Ever
    3. Lil Nas X – Montero
    4. Justin Bieber – Justice
    5. Taylor Swift – Evermore

Alternates – Positions (Ariana Grande), Planet Her (Doja Cat), Star-Crossed (Kacey Musgraves; if it competes in this category)

Profile picture
    2021ravenclaw1
    Topics:

My Universe would get easier than Higher Power and Butter combined, it even has an interesting mini doc on how they worked on it together and big names behind it. BTS and Coldplay’s team just love fumbling their own bag, hopefully I’m wrong tho

I agree, My Universe would be the smarter decision for their teams. Higher Power and Butter are both likely to be snubbed on their own, My Universe could be a filler nominee

Profile picture
    Gen
    Topics:

Unpopular opinion but BTS isn’t getting snubbed. If butter doesn’t get in, my universe will. But I’m actually betting butter edges out my universe.

You guys really let your personal feelings about BTS cloud your judgement. Just because YOU don’t like them or the song doesn’t mean voters don’t. I’ve been seeing it covered a ton recently in prime time TV + BTS has good promo this year including from Good Morning America to the United Nations to late night shows to even McDonald’s and the MET.

Profile picture
    naveand24
    Topics:

I kept under estimating Justice in Pop Vocal Album and remembered that Changes got in… so I put it in over MONTERO. I have MONTERO making it in AOTY.

Profile picture
    Gagamon
    Topics:

I think Best pop vocal album is gonna look like this

Sour – Olivia Rodrigo
    Happier Than Ever – Billie Eilish
    Montero – Lil Nas X
    Justice – Justin Bieber
    Positions – Ariana Grande
    Planet Her – Doja Cat

Profile picture
    Jay
    Topics:

My personal ranking of the BPVA top 7 with eligibility basically being over. I can’t really see anyone outside of these 7 making it but stranger things have happened.

Very well put 👌 I agree with all of the points you’ve made here, especially on Evermore, Montero and Positions which currently still seem to be kind of unsafe for noms.

FYC | Best music this season:

Arlo Parks - Collapsed In Sunbeams
    St. Vincent - Daddy's Home
    Jazmine Sullivan - Heaux Tales
    Tyler, The Creator - Call Me If You Get Lost
    Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend

Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

Pop Solo:

Olivia Rodrigo – Drivers License
    Taylor Swift – Willow
    Billie Eilish – Your Power
    Ed Sheeran – Bad Habits
    Lil Nas X – Montero (Call me by your name)

Pop Duo/Group:

Doja Cat f/ SZA – Kiss Me More
    Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga – Love for Sale
    Glass Animals – Heatwaves
    The Kid Laroi & Justin Bieber – Stay
    Dua Lipa f/ DaBaby – Levitating

Pop Vocal Album:

Billie Eilish – Happier than Ever
    Olivia Rodrigo – Sour
    Ariana Grande – Positions
    Doja Cat – Planet HER
    Taylor Swift – evermore

Profile picture
    Mani
    Topics:

It’s hard to imagine “Butter” not being nominated because it is one of the biggest chart successful songs this year.

Ok, let’s not be obtuse and act like “Butter” isn’t one of the most, if not THE most, fraudulent #1 in Billboard’s history. We are in the streaming generation and not only were the streams for that song abysmally low but even the so called “pure sales” were fradulent. They were fueled by multiple versions(“remixes”), website sales, overseas funds and mass buying from a select group of their fandom. Literally EVERYONE was calling it out, including Billboard themselves in their own interview with them. I was hoping that Coldplay, since they are established artists, weren’t going to stoop to their level but “My Universe” already has the remixes being rolled out 🙄🙄🙄. Anyways, I don’t know if the Grammys are ready to nominate a song with Korean lyrics in it but we’ll see. Gaga/Tony pretty much have BPGD in the bag if they are nominated just like Gaga did last year with “Rain On Me”. If not then Levitating/Kiss Me More will probably take the prize. If the Weekend were submitting then “Save Your Tears” with Ariana could be a potential upset but sadly I don’t think that will happen.

Profile picture
    naveand24
    Topics:

I personally would love for “Peaches” to take home Best Pop Duo/Group Performance.

Profile picture
    Mani
    Topics:

Pop Solo: Olivia Rodrigo – Drivers License Taylor Swift – Willow Billie Eilish – Your Power Ed Sheeran – Bad Habits Lil Nas X – Montero (Call me by your name) Pop Duo/Group: Doja Cat f/ SZA – Kiss Me More Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga – Love for Sale Glass Animals – Heatwaves The Kid Laroi & Justin Bieber – Stay Dua Lipa f/ DaBaby – Levitating Pop Vocal Album: Billie Eilish – Happier than Ever Olivia Rodrigo – Sour Ariana Grande – Positions Doja Cat – Planet HER Taylor Swift – evermore

Good predictions! I’m also glad that you included “Heatwaves” by Glass Animals because it’s a sleeper hit and could possibly be nominated.

Profile picture
    Ronald Cruz
    Topics:

Does it give you a sense of superiority to invalidate the influence of BTS’s large fanbase and refer to anyone who doesn’t share your opinion as being obtuse? Everything that you said about remixes and all of that is true, but no number of remixes will amount to much on the Billboard charts if the Army weren’t so devoted to BTS and weren’t so huge. So as far as Billboard is a measure of “popularity,” none of that is fake. And please, let’s not pretend that other acts don’t do what BTS is doing or something similar to drive their numbers higher. In fact, many other artists have been criticized before for lumping single/album sales with concert tickets and other merchandise to increase Billboard ratings. How is that different? I won’t go so far as to accuse you of being prejudiced against them because they’re an Asian boyband, but let’s not pretend that this view doesn’t come from prejudice against BTS. Using the phrase “stoop to their level” and eyeroll emojis could hardly mean anything else.

Profile picture
    Lynda
    Topics:

Ok, let’s not be obtuse and act like “Butter” isn’t one of the most, if not THE most, fraudulent #1 in Billboard’s history. We are in the streaming generation and not only were the streams for that song abysmally low but even the so called “pure sales” were fradulent. They were fueled by multiple versions(“remixes”), website sales, overseas funds and mass buying from a select group of their fandom. Literally EVERYONE was calling it out, including Billboard themselves in their own interview with them. I was hoping that Coldplay, since they are established artists, weren’t going to stoop to their level but “My Universe” already has the remixes being rolled out 🙄. Anyways, I don’t know if the Grammys are ready to nominate a song with Korean lyrics in it but we’ll see. Gaga/Tony pretty much have BPGD in the bag if they are nominated just like Gaga did last year with “Rain On Me”. If not then Levitating/Kiss Me More will probably take the prize. If the Weekend were submitting then “Save Your Tears” with Ariana could be a potential upset but sadly I don’t think that will happen.

The remixes talk is so funny cuz Coldplay used remixes with higher power, Taylor used remixes to get willow to #1, levitating has tons of remixes, these are just examples cuz I know so many others do this it’s not new.svg” class=”emoji”

Profile picture
    Lynda
    Topics:

I personally would love for “Peaches” to take home Best Pop Duo/Group Performance.

I’ll take peaches over stay winning if I have to

Viewing 15 posts - 466 through 480 (of 686 total)

The topic ‘2021/2022 GRAMMY Pop Field Contenders (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.