Home Forums Music 2021/2022 GRAMMY Pop Field Contenders (Part 6)

2021/2022 GRAMMY Pop Field Contenders (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 578 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
2021ravenclaw1
Indie pop stan
TomJerry
  • Profile picture
    Lorenzo Dillard
    Topics:

the general audience you speak of was not streaming butter, it legit left the top 40 on the streaming chart during its time at #1. the song was there because of the fans who were mass buying copies of the song for weeks upon weeks

I’m not understanding the concept of why fans buying music is a bad thing. Isn’t that what they’re supposed to do to support their favorite artists? Streaming is not the be-all and end-all for consumption. If “Butter” outsold x,y,z it’s only fair that the song went #1. That’s how competition works. Complaining about it still doesn’t negate the fact that it was a hit.

At some point Billboard should crack down on the BTS mass buying because they are derailing the significance of the charts. Everything they release has to have some asterisk next to it. They are not as big as they think they are to the general American public and they just need to come to terms with the fact that they are a gimmick.

BTS perform in U.S. stadiums. They are definitely as popular as they seem. No can discredit the success they’ve worked hard to attain even if you’re personally not a fan. There are a lot of “artists” who use gimmicks that many on this site praise. But let’s pick and choose, shall we.

I really don’t want to start another Butter debate but the song spending 10 weeks at #1 has nothing to do with the general audience. 5 000 fans buying 32 copies of one song solely to inflate its chart position isn’t comparable to Stay, Industry Baby, Good 4 U or other songs people are actually listening to.

Go look at its performance on both radio and more importantly streaming. Prior to butter no song had ever been out of the top 15 on streaming but #1 on the hot 100. Butter, at one stage, was #44.

If you read the post thoroughly you’d see that I attributed BTS’s success to both fans and general audiences. I get not liking “Butter” but the cherry picking to win a so called debate is indicative of one’s bitterness towards its popularity. If annoyance is to be placed anywhere it should be at the consumers for doing what they’re supposed to do which is buying the music. 10 weeks at #1 for a song many here try to devalue is still impressive.

Profile picture
    Award Predictions
    Topics:

I think “Good 4 U” should be up for Best Pop Solo Performance and “Driver’s License” in Record/Song of the Year because “Good 4 U” got nominated for Best Pop and “Driver License” in Song of the Year and Song of the Summer at the VMA’s in 2021 so that makes sense.

Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

If you read the post thoroughly you’d see that I attributed BTS’s success to both fans and general audiences. I get not liking “Butter” but the cherry picking to win a so called debate is indicative of one’s bitterness towards its popularity. If annoyance is to be placed anywhere it should be at the consumers for doing what they’re supposed to do which is buying the music. 10 weeks at #1 for a song many here try to devalue is still impressive.

I didn’t say that they use gimmicks. They themselves are a gimmick. Being stadium acts but yet can’t go top 10 on streaming when less successful acts seem to do it with ease? Something’s not adding up. Must be the VPNs.

Profile picture
    Lorenzo Dillard
    Topics:

I didn’t say that they use gimmicks. They themselves are a gimmick. Being stadium acts but yet can’t go top 10 on streaming when less successful acts seem to do it with ease? Something’s not adding up. Must be the VPNs.

That’s your personal opinion but it doesn’t erase BTS’s world wide cultural impact. Playing stadiums is much more significant than receiving a Top 10 streaming song because it indicates their massive overall appeal. There are a ton of artists who haven’t had big hits in years who still perform in huge venues. So are their achievements less meaningful because they don’t have current songs blowing up Spotify or Apple Music? Absolutely not. Again, consumption and status doesn’t end with just streams.

Profile picture
    lipabridgerstwigs
    Topics:

10 weeks at #1 for a song many here try to devalue is still impressive.

It’s impressive because it represents how dedicated their fan base is. The 10 weeks at #1 do not represent the songs popularity with general audiences.

Dune and Passing best picture 2022
    Jeremy Strong Best Drama Actor 2022
    Sour Album Of The Year 2022

Profile picture
    Lorenzo Dillard
    Topics:

It’s impressive because it represents how dedicated their fan base is. The 10 weeks at #1 do not represent the songs popularity with general audiences.

I’m not sure if you’re purposefully missing the point to support your argument but my posts never attributed “Butter”’s success solely to general audiences. BTS have a huge fan base that includes casual consumers. Hence why their popularity is so undeniable. They’re not a niche act. Their music appeals to a world wide crowd. Again, how has having a dedicated following become a negative? Fans are going to support their favorites. That’s a given. But the public has followed suit. Stadium tours, #1’s, popularity, millions in merchandising are indicative of their overall appeal.

Profile picture
    2021ravenclaw1
    Topics:

I’m not sure if you’re purposefully missing the point to support your argument but my posts never attributed “Butter”’s success solely to general audiences. BTS have a huge fan base that includes casual consumers. Hence why their popularity is so undeniable. They’re not a niche act. Their music appeals to a world wide crowd. Again, how has having a dedicated following become a negative? Fans are going to support their favorites. That’s a given. But the public has followed suit. Stadium tours, #1’s, popularity, millions in merchandising are indicative of their overall appeal.

Stan inflation has helped their charting positions. In terms of general public they have had not as much success in streaming and radio as they did on the chart for that reason.

Profile picture
    Mother Dináh
    Topics:

Kacey Musgraves was on Stephen Colbert and performed Breadwinner (one of the most pop sounding songs on the album) . Is she campaigning for this pop vocal album, now that she is ineligible for the country field?

Last time, Kacey always performed different songs off Golden Hour throughout the year. Since she doesn’t have the airplay support to get chart hits and be the hands-down frontrunner in Performance/Songwriting categories, she campaigns HARD for Album categories.

She chose breadwinner because it went going “viral” on TikTok and it’s currently her most popular song on Streaming Services.

In before Kacey performs simple times the next time she’s on TV.

FYC:

*Best Pop Vocal Album: "Positions" by Ariana Grande
    *Best Pop Solo Performance: "positions" by Ariana Grande
    *Best Country Solo Performance: "camera roll" by Kacey Musgraves
    *Best Country Song: "camera roll" by Kacey Musgraves
    *Best Rap Album: "CALL ME IF YOU GET LOST" by Tyler, The Creator
    *Best R&B Song: "Good Days" by SZA & Jacob Collier

Profile picture
    TomJerry
    Topics:

BTS could possibly make it in BPDGP by virtue of being the biggest boyband in the world.  With a song popular enough for voters to be at least familiar with. Although I’ve had them consistently in my predictions. They can still miss.

Profile picture
    PyrateSilly
    Topics:

Honestly who on here even listens to radio anymore? I stopped listening to radio when they started playing 4 Taylor Swift songs in an hour. Payola at work.

I have over 1600 songs on my personal playlist that I just put on shuffle. Everything from Adele to Metallica to Barenaked Ladies to Elton John.

Profile picture
    Gen
    Topics:

This conversation is pointless. BTS is the biggest pop group in the US right now and Butter was big enough in the US for grammy members to be familiar with. It’s chart performance is not going to impact its grammy chances.

In addition, BTS as a group got lots of promotion this year in the US including a partnership with McDonald’s, various interviews including one with Nightline, a UN speech/performance, Rolling Stone magazine cover story, etc. I say this in reference to “creating a brand” for themselves and name familiarity.

You don’t have to predict them if you don’t want to but they DO have a good chance at a nomination.

Edit – BTS is also the most streamed group in the US this year so far and that’s without even releasing an album.

Profile picture
    Soltseven
    Topics:

moving on…

Profile picture
    Cassy76
    Topics:

Butter was reject on streams and radio. The song continuously received the worst call out on pop radio. They have a better chance with My Universe.

Profile picture
    epiphany
    Topics:

I’m generally on BTS’s sides on these debates, but “Butter” was clearly inflated by their fans. To me, their only real hit in the US was “Dynamite”. That actually felt like a hit – maybe not a #1 hit, but it probably would’ve done decently without the mass buying.

Basically this, I can agree that Dynamite was actually a hit but surely not Butter. Look at the chart run :

#1 – #1 – #1 – #1 – #1 – #1 – #1 – #7 – #1 – #1 – #4 – #7 – #8 – #7 – #1 – #17 – #14 – #24 – #36 – #58 – OUT

The moment the pure sales from their website dropped, it hugely affected the chart position simply because it has very low contribution from streaming and radio (it has one of the worst call-out too). Billboard even acknowledge their tactic/gimmick in mass buying so I don’t know why BTS fans keep pushing it as organic public driven hit. Even TOTC exposed how the hundred thousands of its pure sales actually coming from a few hundred person who get funded by their international fans.

Profile picture
    NDA
    Topics:

Voters don’t care about none of this shit!

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 578 total)

The topic ‘2021/2022 GRAMMY Pop Field Contenders (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.