Home Forums Music 2021/2022 GRAMMY R&B Field Contenders

2021/2022 GRAMMY R&B Field Contenders

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 490 total)
Created
10 months ago
Last Reply
11 hours ago
replies
views
users
Diamond Tier
Deemy
Boz
  • Profile picture
    Dominique Deveraux
    Topics:

Traditional R&B Performance is the only category in the R&B field that I invest myself in annually. I sing and listen to it more than any other genre, so I consider myself an expert on the genre, especially where the Grammys are concerned. That said, here are my predictions for the category.

Traditional R&B Performance 

Silk Sonic – “Leave The Door Open” (WINNER)

Jazmine Sullivan – “Pick Up Your Feelings”*

Jam & Lewis x Babyface – “He Don’t Know Nothin’ Bout It”

H.E.R. – “Fight For You”**

PJ Morton x BJ The Chicago Kid x Kenyon Dixon ft. Charlie Bereal – “Bring It On Home to Me”

Alt: Lucky Daye ft. Yebba – “How Much Can A Heart Take”; Devon Gilfillian – “Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)”; Al Green – “Before The Next Teardrop Falls”; Jennifer Hudson – “Here I Am (Singing My Way Home).”

*Personally, I would love for Sullivan to win here. Unfortunately, “Leave The Door Open” is equally deserving of a win and it was #1 on both the Hot 100 and R&B charts. Also, Mars is a Grammy darling and swept the R&B field in 2018 with 24K Magic and .Paak has won 4/5 nods in 3 years.

**H.E.R. could earn double nods for “Fight For You” if it gets nominated for Best Song Written for Visual Media. If that happens, she’d most likely win there.

Who am I? You'll find out soon. Ciao, for now!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Dominique Deveraux
    Topics:

Okay. Thank you. Kind off topic, but who is that woman as your profile by the way?

It’s Tokyo Vanity.

Who am I? You'll find out soon. Ciao, for now!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Cameron
    Topics:

I wish R&B voters would adore Mariah Carey on her current standards. Somewhat Loved is so good and addicting . I listen to it everyday but i understand the voting dynamic has changed since the last time she was nominated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

I wish R&B voters would adore Mariah Carey on her current standards. Somewhat Loved is so good and addicting . I listen to it everyday but i understand the voting dynamic has changed since the last time she was nominated.

They might in the coming years now that there is no longer a R&B panel controlling the nominations. I imagine Caution would have scored an R&B Album nomination if it weren’t for the panel.

In terms of this year, I don’t think Jam & Lewis will be submitting their Mariah track. They will probably submit their 1st single with Babyface in Traditional R&B Performance instead.

Mariah might submit one of her songs from The Rarities though to Traditional R&B Performance… maybe her cover of “Out Here on My Own” or “Lullaby of Birdland (Live)” or… an inspired submission choice there could be “Oh Santa!” with Jennifer Hudson & Ariana Grande (although I imagine that will probably be submitted to Pop).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gucci
    Topics:

Get real!  Normani is NOT happening in Best R&B Performance and/or Best R&B Song.  Pure delusion.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

“Wild Side” is a big R&B radio hit and there’s a lot of goodwill for Normani. She isn’t a lock by any means, but underestimating her would be very dumb.

FYC - Lil Nas X
    MONTERO - AOTY, Best Pop Vocal Album
    MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name) - ROTY, SOTY, Best Pop Solo Perf., Best Music Video
    INDUSTRY BABY (w/ Jack Harlow) - Best Melodic Rap Perf., Best Rap Song
    ONE OF ME (w/ Elton John) - Best Pop Duo/Group Perf.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

“Wild Side” is a big R&B radio hit and there’s a lot of goodwill for Normani. She isn’t a lock by any means, but underestimating her would be very dumb.

While I agree about the goodwill part, I have to disagree that “Wild Side” is a “big R&B radio hit.” Idk what you consider “big” to be, but if you combine all the radio formats including Top 40, she only has about 16 million in audience impressions. It hasn’t cracked the Top 10 at Urban or Rhythmic Radio and it’s already losing steam.

I’m a fan, but the Grammys don’t seem to care about her. Cardi B’s name attached to the song could help.

I feel like they would rather nominate Chloe over her.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

It’s honestly not. Maybe she can get in music video

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

While I agree about the goodwill part, I have to disagree that “Wild Side” is a “big R&B radio hit.” Idk what you consider “big” to be, but if you combine all the radio formats including Top 40, she only has about 16 million in audience impressions. It hasn’t cracked the Top 10 at Urban or Rhythmic Radio and it’s already losing steam.

I’m a fan, but the Grammys don’t seem to care about her. Cardi B’s name attached to the song could help.

I feel like they would rather nominate Chloe over her.

IDK what chart I saw on twitter but yes, I did check the official airplay charts and you are correct, it’s had a mediocre run there. I believe I confused it with Whole Lotta Money for some reason.

Regardless, I still think Wild Side can happen in Performance. If Jazmine and Silk Sonic both go Traditional with their hits, then there’s two open spaces there.

I personally would classify Have Mercy as a Pop song a la Truth Hurts/Young Dumb & Broke, but I’m guessing her team will submit to R&B (which wouldn’t be fraud)

FYC - Lil Nas X
    MONTERO - AOTY, Best Pop Vocal Album
    MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name) - ROTY, SOTY, Best Pop Solo Perf., Best Music Video
    INDUSTRY BABY (w/ Jack Harlow) - Best Melodic Rap Perf., Best Rap Song
    ONE OF ME (w/ Elton John) - Best Pop Duo/Group Perf.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

IDK what chart I saw on twitter but yes, I did check the official airplay charts and you are correct, it’s had a mediocre run there. I believe I confused it with Whole Lotta Money for some reason.

Regardless, I still think Wild Side can happen in Performance. If Jazmine and Silk Sonic both go Traditional with their hits, then there’s two open spaces there.

I personally would classify Have Mercy as a Pop song a la Truth Hurts/Young Dumb & Broke, but I’m guessing her team will submit to R&B (which wouldn’t be fraud)

Have Mercy will go R&B. And with recency and Chloe already being a past Grammy nominee she’s in before Normani.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    naveand24
    Topics:

If anything I think “Wild Side” would go in Best R&B Song.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    lipabridgerstwigs
    Topics:

Best R&B Performance

1. Damage-H.E.R.
    2. Heartbreak Anniversary-Giveon
    3. Have Mercy-Chlöe
    4. Good Days-SZA
    5. Stay High-Brittany Howard & Childish Gambino
    6. (All I Ever Wanted-Yebba)

Best Traditional R&B Performance

1. Leave The Door Open-Silk Sonic
    2. Fight For You-H.E.R.
    3. Pick Up Your Feelings-Jazmine Sullivan
    4. Strange Fruit-Andra Day
    5. Can’t Put It In The Hands Of Fate-Stevie Wonder ft. Rapsody, Cordae, Chika & Busta Rhymes
    6. (He Don’t Know Nothin’ Bout It-Jam & Lewis feat. Babyface)

Best R&B Song

1. Leave The Door Open-Silk Sonic
    2. Damage-H.E.R.
    3. Pick Up Your Feelings-Jazmine Sullivan
    4. Heartbreak Anniversary-Giveon
    5. Can’t Put It In The Hands Of Fate-Stevie Wonder ft. Rapsody, Cordae, Chika & Busta Rhymes
    6. (Good Days-SZA)

Best R&B Album

1. Heaux Tales-Jazmine Sullivan
    2. Dawn-Yebba
    3. Alicia Keys-Alicia
    4. Gold-Diggers Sound-Leon Bridges
    5. Jam & Lewis Volume One-Jam & Lewis
    6. (Table For Two-Lucky Daye)

Best Progressive R&B Album

1. Back Of My Mind-H.E.R.
    2. Not Your Muse (Deluxe)-Celeste
    3. A Temporary High In The Violet Skies-Snoh Aalegra
    4. Anniversary-Bryson Tiller
    5. R+R=Now Live-Robert Glasper & Terrence Martin
    6. (Pink Planet-Pink Sweat$)

Academy award winner and 2x emmy winner NicoLEGEND Kidman
    Future EGOTer GODlivia Rodrigo

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    naveand24
    Topics:

I don’t still don’t see “Leave the Door Open” being submitted in Traditional. I’m still betting on a R&B Perf. & R&B Song nom.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    TomJerry
    Topics:

I don’t still don’t see “Leave the Door Open” being submitted in Traditional. I’m still betting on a R&B Perf. & R&B Song nom.

I agree. I think it would be much easier for them to score a ROTY/SOTY win & nomination in R&B Song and Performance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

Are y’all sure “Pick Up Your Feelings” won’t be in R&B Performance? I feel like it’s more contemporary than traditional. “On It” is more traditional to me.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 391 through 405 (of 490 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.