Home Forums Music 2021/2022 GRAMMY R&B Field Contenders

2021/2022 GRAMMY R&B Field Contenders

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 544 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Diamond Tier
Deemy
Boz
  • Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

First of all, “Peaches” is arguably a Pop song with R&B leanings. So let’s not act like it’s a pure R&B/Soul record in the vein of “Pick Up Your Feelings” or “Leave the Door Open”. This is Justin Bieber we’re talking about. Not Maxwell, D’Angelou or hell even Robin Thicke.

Second of it all, Chris Brown is a BLACK artist who actually makes R&B music. So the comparison is not valid. Bieber is a White Pop act infiltrating the R&B market because it somehow validates his “credibility” among Black audiences. Despite a past of using discriminatory language against said community. Not sure why you’re not understanding that Boz.

This whole post is sending cuz 1) I brought up Chris to show that voters have never cared about controversies like that (and the lowkey defending his nom is not a cute look) and 2) Peaches is an R&B song lol.

Kiss Me More is a Pop song. Not sure who deemed you the R&B police but Peaches is R&B enough to compete in that genre, especially now that it is actually getting R&B airplay.

Besides, with the HUGE amount of fraud submissions that go on every year, why is Bieber somehow a “slap in the face” to anyone?

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

This whole post is sending cuz 1) I brought up Chris to show that voters have never cared about controversies like that (and the lowkey defending his nom is not a cute look) and 2) Peaches is an R&B song lol.

Kiss Me More is a Pop song. Not sure who deemed you the R&B police but Peaches is R&B enough to compete in that genre, especially now that it is actually getting R&B airplay.

Besides, with the HUGE amount of fraud submissions that go on every year, why is Bieber somehow a “slap in the face” to anyone?

No shade, but stick to Pop Boz. R&B is clearly not your genre. Especially if you think a gentrified Pop song like “Peaches” is R&B. Thank God you’re not on any screening committee.

The “Kiss Me More” reference clearly went over your head. But that’s not surprising since you seem to be on an unusually airheaded tangent today. Not sure what you smoked before jumping on GD.

Using Chris Brown as an example was dumb because A) he’s Black B) he’s an actual R&B artist (unlike Bieber who you said is “R&B-ish”) C) he’s had support from the field since day one. Plus no where did I defend his nomination/win so stop lying.

And if you don’t understand why nominating a racist appropriator in R&B would be a slap in the face then you’re clearly not Black and or just incredibly ignorant. I’ve explained it multiple times. If your comprehension isn’t up to par then that’s your problem.

Profile picture
    Cassy76
    Topics:

Peaches is a R&B song featuring two of the biggest male R&B singers of 2021.

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Peaches is a R&B song featuring two of the biggest male R&B singers of 2021.

Says the account with 5 posts that joined a few days ago. Stop trolling.

“Peaches” is a Pop song with R&B leanings. Having 2 Black artists on a song doesn’t automatically make it R&B. It will go to Pop where it belongs. End of discussion.

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

No shade, but stick to Pop Boz. R&B is clearly not your genre. Especially if you think a gentrified Pop song like “Peaches” is R&B. Thank God you’re not on any screening committee.

Using Chris Brown as an example was dumb because A) he’s Black B) he’s an actual R&B artist (unlike Bieber who you said is “R&B-ish”) C) he’s had support from the field since day one. Plus no where did I defend his nomination/win so stop lying.

And if you don’t understand why nominating a racist appropriator in R&B would be a slap in the face then you’re clearly not Black and or just incredibly ignorant. I’ve explained it multiple times. If your comprehension isn’t up to par then that’s your problem.

Not even gonna comment on you assuming my race based on a comment, but clearly if Peaches is so clearly not R&B then why is it getting R&B airplay? Just say you dislike Bieber (I dislike him too so I wouldn’t blame you) and go. It’s fine to think the song will go Pop – I personally think so – but not sure why you’re so hellbent in proving it isn’t remotely R&B.

Also the fact that you still don’t get the Chris comparison is telling. The whole point was to contrast your “Why do you think voters would want to nominate x” argument. Grammy voters don’t care. I’m sure Morgan Wallen is getting noms this year, just like Brown got a win after abusing Rihanna, and Dr. Luke got a nom after assaulting Kesha repeatedly for many years. I can assure you Grammy voters won’t care about Bieber’s past controversies.

And hey, not to brag of course, but given that I’ve been top 100 for the past two years for nominations, I think I’m somewhat informed in how Grammy voters think. Not even sure who you are.

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

“Peaches” is a Pop song with R&B leanings.

– “Kiss It Better” by Rihanna
    – “That’s What I Like” by Bruno Mars
    – Pretty much the entirety of Starboy by The Weeknd
    – “All I Need” by Jacob Collier feat. Mahalia & Ty Dolla Sign
    – “Exactly How I Feel” by Lizzo and Gucci Mane
    – “Luv” by Tory Lanez
    – “Pusher Love Girl” by Justin Timberlake

Not to mention submissions that didn’t result in noms
    – “Love Lies” by Khalid and Normani (which got less R&B airplay than “Peaches”)
    – “Morning Light” by Justin Timberlake and Alicia Keys
    – “Monopoly” by Ariana Grande & Victoria Monét
    – The entirety of Journals by Justin Bieber

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

This whole R&B debacle is pointless anyways. Whether you think it’s fair or not, if “Peaches” goes R&B it can easily get a nom.

Every year this forum tends to overestimate the screening panel and especially “fraud”ish submissions just to maximize the amount of noms. I remember getting dragged for suggesting H.E.R.’s “Hard Place” would get submitted to Pop in order to submit “Could’ve Been” to R&B, and that ended up happening. Worst things have happened than Bieber getting an R&B nom he’s gonna lose anyways.

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Not even gonna comment on you assuming my race based on a comment, but clearly if Peaches is so clearly not R&B then why is it getting R&B airplay? Just say you dislike Bieber (I dislike him too so I wouldn’t blame you) and go. It’s fine to think the song will go Pop – I personally think so – but not sure why you’re so hellbent in proving it isn’t remotely R&B.

Also the fact that you still don’t get the Chris comparison is telling. The whole point was to contrast your “Why do you think voters would want to nominate x” argument. Grammy voters don’t care. I’m sure Morgan Wallen is getting noms this year, just like Brown got a win after abusing Rihanna, and Dr. Luke got a nom after assaulting Kesha repeatedly for many years. I can assure you Grammy voters won’t care about Bieber’s past controversies.

And hey, not to brag of course, but given that I’ve been top 100 for the past two years for nominations, I think I’m somewhat informed in how Grammy voters think. Not even sure who you are.

Pop songs have been receiving Urban/AC airplay since the beginning of time. For example, Madonna & Paula Abdul were getting spins on Black radio stations back in the day. But that’s not indicative of an artist or song being R&B. Plus that criteria only applies to shows like Billboard & AMAs. Not the Grammys. But of course you knew that Mr. Top 100.

I understood the Chris Brown reference you were ‘attempting’ to make. But it wasn’t a very good one. Bieber & Brown are not comparable in this field at all. CB has been a beloved Black R&B act within the community since day one. Even despite his torrid past. Bieber is a racist White Pop act who jumped on the R&B bandwagon to gain credibility. There’s no comparison and the screening committee will agree. “Peaches” will go straight to Pop. Period.

You clearly aren’t a R&B head boo. Stick to Pop. Your knowledge of the genre & its history is not up to par with your braggadocio attitude.

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Pop songs have been receiving Urban/AC airplay since the beginning of time. For example, Madonna & Paula Abdul were getting spins on Black radio stations back in the day. But that’s not indicative of an artist or song being R&B. Plus that criteria only applies to shows like Billboard & AMAs. Not the Grammys. But of course you knew that Mr. Top 100.

Clear example of you not knowing what you’re talking about. Obviously a song getting R&B airplay doesn’t necessarily means it’s R&B, but it means that it’s considered R&B enough typically. This same debate happened with Normani’s “Love Lies”, which got no R&B airplay and ended up getting no noms. R&B radio has always been a good predictor for what could pop up at the Grammys, and “Peaches” has that.

On top of that, most frequent R&B predictors here like PoweR and Deemy have acknowledged that “Peaches” could go R&B. You’re fighting the air, sorry.

And being fair – and I’ve said this all season – I personally think “Peaches” would be a wasted R&B submission. It has less competition in Pop, where it only has to beat “Levitating” by Dua Lipa. In R&B he’d have to beat Bruno x Anderson, two darlings, and not to mention the fact that he could even miss a nom for R&B Performance due to the one-nom-per-artist rule in some categories, assuming “Heartbreak Anniversary” gets more votes (which it likely will).

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

– “Kiss It Better” by Rihanna
    – “That’s What I Like” by Bruno Mars
    – Pretty much the entirety of Starboy by The Weeknd
    – “All I Need” by Jacob Collier feat. Mahalia & Ty Dolla Sign
    – “Exactly How I Feel” by Lizzo and Gucci Mane
    – “Luv” by Tory Lanez
    – “Pusher Love Girl” by Justin Timberlake

Not to mention submissions that didn’t result in noms
    – “Love Lies” by Khalid and Normani (which got less R&B airplay than “Peaches”)
    – “Morning Light” by Justin Timberlake and Alicia Keys
    – “Monopoly” by Ariana Grande & Victoria Monét
    – The entirety of Journals by Justin Bieber

Notice how most of these artists are Black and or are either R&B/Soul or Urban. Hell anything Jacob Collier & Bruno Mars have done is more R&B than “Peaches”.

A lot of these examples are taken out of context. Starboy, for instance, fit the criteria of UCA. It’s an Urban album with Pop, Rap, & R&B influences. So again, not a good comparison.

For someone who supposedly dislikes JB you are hellbent on proving that a White bred Pop song featuring 2 Black artists is R&B. Weird.

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Notice how most of these artists are Black and or are either R&B/Soul or Urban. Hell anything Jacob Collier & Bruno Mars have done is more R&B than “Peaches”.

A lot of these examples are taken out of context. Starboy, for instance, fit the criteria of UCA. It’s an Urban album with Pop, Rap, & R&B influences. So again, not a good comparison.

For someone who supposedly dislikes JB you are hellbent on proving that a White bred Pop song featuring 2 Black artists is R&B. Weird.

The assumption that an artist being Black means their music is automatically R&B is entirely reductive and borderline racist, not to mention a lot of those aren’t even black anyways.

Also Starboy is a pop album. Even The Weeknd himself said it was reductive to compete in R&B just because of his race. You’re saying nonsense.

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

And being fair – and I’ve said this all season – I personally think “Peaches” would be a wasted R&B submission. It has less competition in Pop, where it only has to beat “Levitating” by Dua Lipa.

Ok so then…why are you wasting time debating? You’re the one who responded to a post from weeks ago. Not me.

And as someone who touts/brags about themselves being a Top 100 user, why would you need validation from other posters about what genre a song is. As an expert, you should know, right? Weird.

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Ok so then…why are you wasting time debating? You’re the one who responded to a post from weeks ago. Not me.

And as someone who touts/brags about themselves being a Top 100 user, why would you need validation from other posters about what genre a song is. As an expert, you should know, right? Weird.

If I cared about what you considered R&B and what you didn’t I would have sent you a PM.

“Why? lol” is a rhetorical question. Not sure if you know what those are.

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Anyways back to the non-braindead convo:

R&B Performance seems a little too jampacked this year, which is why I’m wondering if we could get some artists submitting to Traditional or even to the Pop field.

I think SZA could end up sending Good Days to Pop Solo and Hit Different to R&B.

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

The assumption that an artist being Black means their music is automatically R&B is entirely reductive and borderline racist, not to mention a lot of those aren’t even black anyways.

Also Starboy is a pop album. Even The Weeknd himself said it was reductive to compete in R&B just because of his race. You’re saying nonsense.

Boz bye! You’re the one defending a racist White Pop act who remixed “One Less Lonely Girl” into “One Less Lonely N….” then jumped on the R&B bandwagon when it was convenient. R&B is a predominantly BLACK genre. Anyone who knows anything about the history of music would know that. Yet you’re supposedly an expert. Lol right.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 544 total)

The topic ‘2021/2022 GRAMMY R&B Field Contenders’ is closed to new replies.