Home Forums Music 2021/2022 GRAMMY R&B Field Contenders

2021/2022 GRAMMY R&B Field Contenders

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 544 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
Diamond Tier
Deemy
Boz
  • Profile picture
    Mother Dináh
    Topics:

I just hope Jacob Collier’s credit is enough for Good Days to win Best R&B Song without the help of a committee.

Profile picture
    lionhidden99
    Topics:

Y’all need to expect only BIG names to be nominated this year. I know we’re all use to smaller R&B acts getting in thanks to the committees, but those days will be done this year. I love Arlo Parks, but I even fear she might not be big enough to be nom’d this year. And for better or worse, I feel like that means people like Alicia Keys or older veteran acts like the new Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis album will have an easier time scoring noms.

Are we sure Arlo will get in the R&B field? A lot of her promotion has been towards an indie/alternative audience. Without a committee I’m not sure if voters will automatically gravitate towards her.

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

My updated predictions:

Best R&B Performance:

• Good Days (SZA)
    • How Much Can A Heart Take (Lucky Daye feat. Yebba)
    • Leave the Door Open (Silk Sonic)
    • Pick Up Your Feelings (Jazmine Sullivan)
    • Heartbreak Anniversary (Giveon)

Best Traditional R&B Performance:

• On It (Jazmine Sullivan feat. Ari Lennox)
    • Letter 2 U (BJ The Chicago Kid)
    • Same Space? – Remix (Tiana Major9 & SiR)
    • Addicted (Joyce Wrice)
    • Last Time (Giveon feat. Snoh Aalegra)

Best R&B Song

• Good Days (SZA)
    • Leave the Door Open (Silk Sonic)
    • Calling My Phone (Lil Tjay feat. 6LACK)
    • Heartbreak Anniversary (Giveon)
    • Damage (H.E.R.)

Best Progressive R&B Album

• Anniversary (Bryson Tiller)
    • Featuring Ty Dolla $ign (Ty Dolla $ign)
    • An Evening with Silk Sonic (Silk Sonic)
    • PINK PLANET (Pink Sweat$)
    • Overgrown (Joyce Wrice)

Best R&B Album

• Alicia (Alicia Keys)
    • Heaux Tales (Jazmine Sullivan)
    • Table For Two (Lucky Daye)
    • Homegrown (VanJess)
    • When It’s All Said and Done…Take Time (Giveon)

Pretty confident for Jazmine and Giveon that they will get at least one Grammy. I was also confident for SZA winning for “Good Days” but now I’m starting to see that not happening, at least for that song, not sure what’s in store with her next album. I also predict H.E.R.’s album to be nominated but I’ll have to listen to it first to see what category to put it in.

Based on Leave the Door Open + both of their past albums, I think Silk Sonic will compete in Best R&B Album. Shame cuz I was hoping to see Jazmine win that.

Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

Giveon will go Progressive. As will Jazmine.

Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

R&B Performance:

Hit Different • SZA feat. Ty Dolla $ign
    On It • Jazmine Sullivan f/ Ari Lennox
    Damage • H.E.R
    Peaches • Justin Bieber f/ Daniel Caesar & Giveon
    Not Another Love Song • Ella Mai

R&B Song:

Good Days • SZA
    Leave The Door Open • Silk Sonic
    Pick Up Your Feelings • Jazmine Sullivan
    Heartbreak Anniversary • Giveon
    Peaches • Justin Bieber f/ Daniel Caesar & Giveon

R&B Album:

Back Of My Mind • H.E.R
    An Evening with Silk Sonic • Silk Sonic
    #HeauxTales – Jazmine Sullivan
    (Open)
    (Open)

Progressive R&B Album:

Shelly FKA Dram• Shelly FKA Dram
    When It’s All Said and Done.. Take Time • Giveon
    Alicia – Alicia Keys
    Not Your Muse (Deluxe) • Celeste
    Featuring Ty Dolla $ign • Ty Dolla $ign

Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

I’m in the minority that Peaches will make it through the screening for R&B and with the Popularity vote Bieber will make the lineup.

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

The screening panel will not allow a gentrified R&B leaning Pop song by Justin Bieber to compete in the same categories as Jazmine Sullivan, Silk Sonic, & H.E.R.

That’s not happening. The Grammys would be read for filth. But mostly importantly “Peaches” isn’t R&B. That’s an insult to actual R&B/Soul artists.

Profile picture
    Gen
    Topics:

Justin’s music has made it through the r&b screening panel before (although it was not nominated).

It’s not a stretch to say peaches can go r&b, especially with two respected r&b artists on the song, no matter how “gentrified” you think the song is.

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Justin’s music has made it through the r&b screening panel before (although it was not nominated).

It’s not a stretch to say peaches can go r&b, especially with two respected r&b artists on the song, no matter how “gentrified” you think the song is.

“Peaches” = Pop. It is NOT R&B . So yes, it is a stretch. Just because a song features Giveon & Daniel Caesar doesn’t automatically make it R&B. Thats an elementary level argument from someone who clearly doesn’t know the genre.

Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

I’m in the minority that Peaches will make it through the screening for R&B and with the Popularity vote Bieber will make the lineup.

Is it really a minority at this point? Most serious posters agree it could get past the screening panel.

Anyways, I was thinking and I hope Jazmine submits to Progressive. Her only competition would be SZA, who has given no signs of an album coming out, and perhaps H.E.R. if she decides to go Progressive this time around.

I think there’s a real sentiment to award Jazmine in the industry. Just struggling to see where considering Bruno/Anderson is a thing.

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

It’s going to be either “Heartbreak Anniversary” OR “Peaches” in R&B Performance, not both. Correct me if I’m wrong, but two performances by the same artist can’t make it into a performance category in certain fields, and this is one of them. By Giveon being on “Peaches,” he could cause it to miss altogether. To be honest, I see more R&B voters going for “Heartbreak Anniversary” than “Peaches.” “Peaches” could be more of an R&B Song thing. “Peaches” would probably fare better in the Pop field.

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Is it really a minority at this point? Most serious posters agree it could get past the screening panel.

Most of the posters on this forum stan BTS, Taylor Swift, or Olivia Rodrigo. WTF do they know about R&B? Thank God none of them (including you) are on a screening panel.

Profile picture
    Gen
    Topics:

Stanning a pop artist makes you oblivious to all other genres.

I’m dead. LOL.

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Stanning a pop artist makes you oblivious to all other genres.

I’m dead. LOL.

Apparently. You’re a BTS stan who believes “Peaches” is a R&B song. Clearly you’re not that in sync with what R&B actually is. You are oblivious.

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

It’s going to be either “Heartbreak Anniversary” OR “Peaches” in R&B Performance, not both. Correct me if I’m wrong, but two performances by the same artist can’t make it into a performance category in certain fields, and this is one of them. By Giveon being on “Peaches,” he could cause it to miss altogether. To be honest, I see more R&B voters going for “Heartbreak Anniversary” than “Peaches.” “Peaches” could be more of an R&B Song thing. “Peaches” would probably fare better in the Pop field.

I believe you’re correct. I don’t think an artist can be nominated twice in R&B Performance.

I also agree that R&B voters would go for “Heartbreak Anniversary” in R&B Performance over “Peaches” if given the choice.

IF “Peaches” is accepted in R&B, it will likely only be in contention for a R&B Song nomination (where voters are more likely to nominate/award “pop” artists with “R&B” tracks… Justin Timberlake has won in the category before).

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 544 total)

The topic ‘2021/2022 GRAMMY R&B Field Contenders’ is closed to new replies.