Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 12)

2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 784 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
JennyLewisFan
M
BYEDON2020
  • Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

The Box deserves to win Music Video

FYC :

Best Actress - Viola Davis
    Best Actor - Delroy Lindo
    Best Supp Actress - Glenn Close
    Best Supp Actor - Chadwick Boseman

Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

Sad.. but I can imagine a scenario where The Weeknd gets blocked from Urban Contemporary album and just ends up in AOTY.

It happens almost every year to a big star– I can see it being him this year.

Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

If that Happens then I’d absolutely love for this to be the Urban Contemporary lineup:

dvsn – A Muse in her Feelings
    Tinashe – Songs for You
    Jhene Aiko – Chilombo
    Summer Walker – Over It
    Brent Faiyaz – Fuck the World

other contenders:

Mahalia – Love and Compromise
    Kehlani – It Was Good Until It Wasn’t.

Profile picture
    Adele
    Topics:

Honey, I also can see the R&B committee blocking The Weeknd in Best Urban Contemporary Album since he already won it twice.  That would be a good look.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Licorice
    Topics:

Rain on me is not getting a best video nomination 💀

Profile picture
    Skies
    Topics:

Why would Meg be ineligible?

Would it have to do with how she’s released more than 30 songs before this year’s eligibility period?

Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

Sad.. but I can imagine a scenario where The Weeknd gets blocked from Urban Contemporary album and just ends up in AOTY. It happens almost every year to a big star– I can see it being him this year.

This category confuses me at times. Sometimes, albums I think are R&B like Ventriloquism and “Awaken, My Love!” ended up here. Isn’t it meant to be an extension of what used to be Contemporary R&B Album?

Regarding Weeknd, I think they’ll put him here though. There’s not enough notable competition to rule him out yet and like someone said, he’s won here twice. To me, that even ups his chances of winning again because Beyoncé won the Contemporary R&B Album for three of her releases and then twice when it became UC, so, someone winning twice doesn’t rule them out.

Profile picture
    fortheculture
    Topics:

I will admit, I didn’t think Gaga had it in her after she has failed to deliver a non-ballad pop hit for many many years, but Rain on Me is clearly a hit and I see it having longevity though the summer.

Johanne didn’t give Blood Pop the opportunity to show off his pop soundscapes, so this is Gaga’s first song with Blood Pop where he is in his element (we’ll just pretend that Stupid Love never happened). Blood Pop murders the production here and he is quickly establishing himself as this era’s pop super-producer. Bringing in Tchami for co-production was smart and unexpected, he brings that driving house feeling to the track. When Gaga tries to sound futuristic over the same RedOne style production she has used since 2009, she just sounds stale. By leaning heavily into a classic house sound, she achieves retro-futurism and sounds legitimately of the moment.

The actual songwriting recalls Born This Way, the songs are tonally similar uplifting anthems, and the bridge here is clearly a wink to Born This Way’s “Don’t be a drag, just be a queen” bridge. The song fits nicely into her hits catalog.

To the people saying Ariana is doing the heavy lifting, tonally, sonically, and lyrically, this is really much more of a Gaga song than a Ariana song, and it is Gaga’s production and writing team. Ariana is a guest here, but a welcome one. Both vocalists are playing to their strengths, Gaga gives power and Ariana gives softness, and they compliment each other quite nicely. Vocally, Ariana does come close to stealing the spotlight.

This song is a lock in pop categories and at least one GF nomination, and has decent potential to take home a Grammy. If Stupid Love was really the strongest contender for lead single, then I am less optimistic about the rest of the album. Still, one solid hit is a whole lot better than a zero hit pop album like Art Pop, and maybe she just made a bad choice with Stupid Love. We’ll find out in two days.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    daniel
    Topics:

i would argue dua lipa is more likely to receive a BMV nomination with either ‘physical’ or ‘break my heart’ than gaga and ariana with ‘rain on me’

FYC:
    yummy - ROTY/SOTY/BPSP/BMV

Profile picture
    daniel
    Topics:

nicki minaj has been credited for say so again, i still think they will likely submit the original version but i thought i’d mention it

FYC:
    yummy - ROTY/SOTY/BPSP/BMV

Profile picture
    Matheus Vaz
    Topics:

What’s this logic? He’s on his second album only, at it is by far a more succesful era and album than his first and than most this year.

My point is if fine line breaks the pop field this era will be a crossrover to him in the future, in the next albums he can get in aoty who knows? But predicting someone whose facing boyband bias and don’t look so respected to the biggest prize is a stretch imo

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

My point is if fine line breaks the pop field this era will be a crossrover to him in the future, in the next albums he can get in aoty who knows? But predicting someone whose facing boyband bias and don’t look so respected to the biggest prize is a stretch imo

Nobody thinks of Harry as uncool because he was in One Direction. He’s had credibility since his last album. He counts people like Stevie Nicks as fans.

There’s a very good chance his debut album would have gotten a Pop Album nomination over Lana Del Rey and that Coldplay EP had it not been placed in the rock field.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 784 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.