Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 12)

2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 791 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Jenny Lewis Fan
M
ELIAS
  • Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Album, Record, Pop Duo, Pop Album, and Music Video for Gaga. (Record, Pop Duo, MV for Ariana.)

Pop Solo for Billie.

Album, Record, Song, Rap Album, Rap Performance, Rap Sung for Roddy. He’ll be the most nominated.

Not seeing these at all

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

I also don’t see Rain on Me breaking through the GF.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

If we’ve come to understand anything about the Recording Academy, songs that are performed during the ceremony are on occasion frontrunners for nods.

What makes you say this? The last few songs that got GF nominations after being performed on the previous year’s show were “Hard Place,” “That’s What I Like,” “Love Yourself,” and “Thinking Out Loud.” With the exception of “Hard Place,” all of those were smash hits that would have gotten nominated regardless.

On the other hand, many other songs that were performed on the telecast – “Money,” “Pray,” “I Feel It Coming,” “The Fighter,” “Chained to the Rhythm,” “Shape of You,” “FourFiveSeconds,” etc. – were shut out of the general field the following year, and aside from “Shape of You,” didn’t get nominated in ANY category.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

What makes you say this? The last few songs that got GF nominations after being performed on the previous year’s show were “Hard Place,” “That’s What I Like,” “Love Yourself,” and “Thinking Out Loud.” With the exception of “Hard Place,” all of those were smash hits that would have gotten nominated regardless. On the other hand, many other songs that were performed on the telecast – “Money,” “Pray,” “I Feel It Coming,” “The Fighter,” “Chained to the Rhythm,” “Shape of You,” “FourFiveSeconds,” etc. – were shut out of the general field the following year, and aside from “Shape of You,” didn’t get nominated in ANY category.

My bad. I just realized that. I meant it for H.E.R. though. I just have that inkling that she’s gonna snag another ROTY nod with “Sometimes” come the nominations announcement.

Profile picture
    PleaseFeedTheTroll
    Topics:

That Justin Bieber and Ariana Grande song really is plummeting everywhere.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

I could see The Box in SOTY like God’s Plan. It’s a huge hit.

“God’s Plan,” while not the most lyrical song, was heavily aided by the music video of him making generous donations to average people, and also had one of that year’s most memorable/quoted lines (“I only love my bed and my mama…”). It also had a positive, feel-good message about loyalty and gratitude to those who stuck by you – it wasn’t an ode to shooting people and receiving fellatio.

Nothing about the lyrics of “The Box” screams SOTY nominee. You forget that a LOT of big hits just get ROTY nominations – still shocks me how many people were shocked that “Old Town Road” didn’t get in SOTY last year.

Roddy will get an easy ROTY nomination and AOTY if he’s lucky.

Profile picture
    JustGuy89
    Topics:

It would be racist! Homophobic! Xenophobic! Arachnophobic! If Bad Bunny does not make it into Album of the Year! YHLQMDLG is straight up fire!
    I would love to see “Si Veo a tu Mamá” In Pop Solo. “Yo Perreo Sola” Needs to be nominated for Music Video.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

My preliminary predictions for Gaga are:

Best Pop Duo/Performance
    Best Pop Vocal Album
    Best Music Video

Whether ROM gets in the GF or not will definitely depend on its longevity. However I don’t buy at all the argument that Gaga must be “undeniable” to get in the GF.

That is such a ridiculous take. Shallow made it in SOTY and ROTY with just two weeks in the top 10. It was nothing “undeniable” before the Oscar performance. ARUTW didn’t even spend more than one week in the top 40.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

I’m not really seeing Video – they tend to not favor those high-gloss type of pop videos, but maybe I’ll change my mind if it gets a lot of love in VMA technical categories.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

I’m not really seeing Video – they tend to not favor those high-gloss type of pop videos, but maybe I’ll change my mind if it gets a lot of love in VMA technical categories.

Yeah I agree. Though there are a few factors I weighed in:

1. The editing in ROM is really superb and creative. It’s not a typical Pop MV. The way they kept flipping between reflection made the video feel creatively unique.

2. This is an extraordinarily weak year for MVs.

3. They tend to not favor high-gloss pop videos. But they did nominate some of those occasionally, like Bad Blood. Granted that song was a #1 hit too.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

They tend to not favor high-gloss pop videos. But they did nominate some of those occasionally, like Bad Blood.

“Bad Blood” had spectacular visual effects and, again, was nominated across-the-board in all the VMA tech categories. It wasn’t nominated because (only) it was popular; it was nominated because it was well-done.

“Rain On Me” really isn’t unique in any way. Pop singers dancing in the rain with backup dancers? We’ve seen that a million times before. Think you’re overhyping it.

This is an extraordinarily weak year for MVs.

Maybe as far as mainstream pop music goes, but there are usually only 1-2 mainstream pop videos max nominated each year anyway

Off the top of my head, “The Box” and “Godzilla” come to mind as stronger contenders from the commercial side of things

Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

It would be racist! Homophobic! Xenophobic! Arachnophobic! If Bad Bunny does not make it into Album of the Year! YHLQMDLG is straight up fire! I would love to see “Si Veo a tu Mamá” In Pop Solo. “Yo Perreo Sola” Needs to be nominated for Music Video.

This is why I argue that Latin performance and song categories need to exist. However, he wouldn’t even make it there as the songs are rather pop.

Btw, your AOTY prediction for Bad Bunny is a bit farfetched for now. He’s no doubt a possibility, but, like I said sometime before, if ROSALIA missed AOTY with that masterpiece, I doubt Bad Bunny will make it. He does have Latin Rock, Urban or Alternative Album on lock for now and of course a plethora of Latin Grammys waiting.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Maybe as far as mainstream pop music goes, but there are usually only 1-2 mainstream pop videos max nominated each year anyway Off the top of my head, “The Box” and “Godzilla” come to mind as stronger contenders from the commercial side of things

Godzilla ain’t happening. It’s not that creative. And it’s forgotten, not to mention the Grammy’s have been showing that much love to Eminem.

The Box should be in.

But unless I’m missing some other options, this year I just can’t see enough contenders like Cellophane, Glad He’s Gone etc…

So when I try to come up with 5 nominee list of the most creative MVs this year, ROM is in it for now. I’ll change my mind if I see better options.

Profile picture
    cah
    Topics:

I’m starting to see Gaga & Ariana in MV too if ROM continues to hold.

The music video is simply the best released in this eligibility period, followed by Physical. What could hurt it though it that it’s too poppy. But then so was Bad Blood.

It’s literally just bad choreo in front of a green screen (and it wasn’t even the best MV released that DAY).

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 791 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.