Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 12)

2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 11 posts - 781 through 791 (of 791 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Jenny Lewis Fan
M
ELIAS
  • Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

After Hours is nowhere near the level of anything Adele’s put out. 21 outsold Abel’s entire discography. 1989 is also significantly bigger than After Hours. Its commercial success is nowhere near the likes 1989 or 21/25.

Again we are talking about what is probably going to top this year’s Billboard year end list (at least second against Hollywood’s Bleeding). I don’t think selling records is a fair assessment to Abel not having the same culture impact. I mean he has been consistent, especially with Blinding Lights on all streaming platforms.

Lastly, I really don’t feel like there’s no one else that is on the same lane as Abel this year, as he has a great blend of commercial and critical. Fiona has critics on their knees, while lags commercially and consistency. Dua Lipa has a huge single, but her sales in America have been lackluster, yet alone no other singles have reach the success of Dont Start Now. Lady Gaga is at an ehhh point in her album cycle where Rain on Me could gain or loose longevity as well as her recent past with the past in the General Field have not been the best.

The only other person that probably could be sort of in the conversation is Post Malone, but The Weeknd would win that race in a landslide. Until Post is nominated across the board as well as overperform in the pop categories, I’m going with Abel.

FYC:
    AOTY: Fetch the Bolt Cutters or After Hours
    ROTY & SOTY: Blinding Lights & Don’t Start Now
    BNA: Megan Thee Stallion or Rina Sawayama
    Rap Album: RTJ4
    Pop Album: SAWAYAMA
    Rock Album: The New Abnormal
    R&B Performance: Do It

Profile picture
    janet.
    Topics:

Honey, The Weeknd is NOT winning anything in the general field.  As usual, he’ll only win in R&B like most black folks do.

Profile picture
    kanil032
    Topics:

Again we are talking about what is probably going to top this year’s Billboard year end list (at least second against Hollywood’s Bleeding). I don’t think selling records is a fair assessment to Abel not having the same culture impact. I mean he has been consistent, especially with Blinding Lights on all streaming platforms. Lastly, I really don’t feel like there’s no one else that is on the same lane as Abel this year, as he has a great blend of commercial and critical. Fiona has critics on their knees, while lags commercially and consistency. Dua Lipa has a huge single, but her sales in America have been lackluster, yet alone no other singles have reach the success of Dont Start Now. Lady Gaga is at an ehhh point in her album cycle where Rain on Me could gain or loose longevity as well as her recent past with the past in the General Field have not been the best. The only other person that probably could be sort of in the conversation is Post Malone, but The Weeknd would win that race in a landslide. Until Post is nominated across the board as well as overperform in the pop categories, I’m going with Abel.

Is there any big project coming before deadline?  Not drake, dustbin type.

Any real artists coming before deadline?

Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

And I guess I’m the only one who thinks The Weeknd won’t sweep the Grammys in 2021.

You’re not. I doubt there will be a clean sweep this year. i don’t have The Weeknd winning anything other than a probable AOTY in the GF.

My ROTY remains “Circles” and I’m undecided on SOTY.

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

Interestingly enough, their albums were more acclaimed and/or more commercially impactful. And I guess I’m the only one who thinks The Weeknd won’t sweep the Grammys in 2021.

To be fair though, The Weeknd is probably one of the most influential artist of R&B at the beginning of his career. He combined darker elements into r&b, in a way I think was very idiosyncratic.

Also to write off that Abel’s place in pop music atm. Him and Dua Lipa helped add this dance-pop niche for the 2020 trap-infused landscape, as I think both will be the WWAFAWDWG and Cuz I Love You of the year.

Whenever America is going through something traumatic, pop tends to trend for some reason into a more dancier direction, such as with 2008-2009 with Lady Gaga, The Black Eyed Peas, Ke$ha, and Usher. EDM was soooo prevalent in the early 2010s it was crazy. Off a tangent, but again we have Say So, After Hours, Future Nosalgia, Dance Monkey, Rain on Me, Savage REMIX, as well as the popularity of Tik Tok, a primary Dance App. 

FYC:

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

Is there any big project coming before deadline? Not drake, dustbin type. Any real artists coming before deadline?

There hasn’t been any lately but we can speculate because I have the time in the world in quarantine to see who drops quarantine albums before August.

Kendrick: I feel like this is the obvious one since there have been heavy speculation he has been working on new music for months. But again, I do think Kendrick is done releasing music for the Grammys as he wasn’t a prevalent as much for the 2019 cycle yet being heavily nominated. I do think if Abel wins, he should drop next year. I feel like someone Black needs to win/run so that others like Kendrick and Beyoncé who have deserved it for years can run.

Beyonce: Beyoncé has been know for dropping surprise albums as with EVERYTHING IS LOVE and BEYONCÉ. I’m not sure yet what she can talk about atm because she has been saturated with side projects and features that I do think she just needs a year to not be prevalent.

Frank Ocean: I think the most I could see releasing but won’t be nominated. Frank will never be or try to be in the saving Graces with the Grammys as they never gave a fair accessment.

Adele: I know she said it would be for the next Grammy cycle, but I do think Adele fits into this Grammy cycle in these dance pop albums/songs. Also us being in quarantine with an Adele album will be major. Like idk like other artists don’t release. I’m not sure if she will sweep again, but Adele leaves for a few years then appears like no thing happened for the past few years. “oh nothing happened since I released 25, just my sons younger, I got a divorce, and I got skinny”

Bruno Mars and Lorde and Rihana: I feel like these are artist that people on the thread don’t expect. But both are all needed for releases sometime this year or next. It’s more that they have stayed quiet for the past few months, that there is not many to see who’s next.

FYC:

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

Many people on these thread doubted Billie would sweep the GF, yet alone win a GF award next year, yet here we are.

After Hours is the middle of road for many of the Grammys. Hip, but still has musical talent. Critical yet commercial. Has 2 number ones and a month on the billboard 200. A strong 80 on Metacritic. It’s loved. Period. I’m going with my gut. As well as the fact that Blinding Lights is extremely safe and something the Grammys would go for.

Abel will be a GF winner come Jan. 2021

FYC:

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

Before I Babylon on and on and on, who do you think will be the Bon Iver and Vampire Weeknd this year? I think The Strokes could stand a chance, as well as maybe The Highwomen, Brittany Howard, and FKA twigs. I mean that’s if Fiona doesn’t make the cut.

Anyways I’m going to bed. Grammys is too much thought when they take 5 minutes to probably award the 5 on tv yet do unnecessary performances.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Topics:

Darlings, I just came to say that Chromatica is definitely getting nominated and may give miss Gaga her first AOTY Grammy. Her best received album from critics and it will sell very well. I think she can easily win this year.

As a famous singer said, "ain't nobody gonna Thatcher, Thatcher, Thatcher!"

Profile picture
    kanil032
    Topics:

Darlings, I just came to say that Chromatica is definitely getting nominated and may give miss Gaga her first AOTY Grammy. Her best received album from critics and it will sell very well. I think she can easily win this year.

Dear Prime Minister, please stick to your movies forum. No need to interfere here in music without knowing anything.

Profile picture
    Paul Sheehan
    Topics:

Let’s keep the discussion going in Part 13.

Viewing 11 posts - 781 through 791 (of 791 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.