Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 13)

2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 606 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
ELIAS
Babygirl
Jenny Lewis Fan
  • Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Also if Miss Abel is a lock for AOTY like some of y’all are acting like he is because the album has 2 #1s (where one is already forgotten) and is successful…. tell me why y’all are underestimating Post who’s album is more successful and also has 2 #1s songs on the album that are waaaay more popular?

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

I would definitely switch to supporting Kendrick if he released, but he it seems like he’s not going to.

And I never said Kendrick was guaranteed to release in this cycle so I have no clue why you’re fuming about me discussing his chances if he does.

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

….How was it not? It garnered 3 #1 hits and multiple top 10s, the lead single is literally certified Diamond, it sold 1.2M copies in the US in it’s first week, it stayed in the BB200 top 10 for SO long meanwhile TPAB mainly just had acclaim going for it. 1989 was literally was a juggernaut… We’re not seeing anything like that this year and the deadline is literally in 2 months. The Weeknd may be our little cute frontrunner but he’s no way undeniable like Taylor was.

Who gives a fuck about commercial success? To Pimp A Butterfly will be remember for generations, while Taylor gave us a great era. It clearly should have been a juggernaut. Also there has been many albums that spawned multiple number one hits in the 2010s, so it’s not like 1989 was a one of a kind album against TPAB: 21, Beerbongs and Bentleys, Beauty Behind the Madness, 25, Views, Invasion of Privacy, Thank U, Next, Teenage Dream, I could go on and on.

Kendrick had better quality that year. I said what I said. In music history, no one really cares about how many records you’ve sold or number one singles you’ve had, they care about quality. And TPAB > 1989. Not saying Taylor didn’t deliver, but TPAB was superior album and deserved AOTY. 

FYC:
    AOTY: Fetch the Bolt Cutters or After Hours
    ROTY & SOTY: Blinding Lights & Don’t Start Now
    BNA: Megan Thee Stallion or Rina Sawayama
    Rap Album: RTJ4
    Pop Album: SAWAYAMA
    Rock Album: The New Abnormal
    R&B Performance: Do It

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

Also if Miss Abel is a lock for AOTY like some of y’all are acting like he is because the album has 2 #1s (where one is already forgotten) and is successful…. tell me why y’all are underestimating Post who’s album is more successful and also has 2 #1s songs on the album that are waaaay more popular?

0/6

FYC:

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Who gives a fuck about commercial success? To Pimp A Butterfly will be remember for generations, while Taylor gave us a great era. It clearly should have been a juggernaut. Also there has been many albums that spawned multiple number one hits in the 2010s, so it’s not like 1989 was a one of a kind album against TPAB: 21, Beerbongs and Bentleys, Beauty Behind the Madness, 25, Views, Invasion of Privacy, Thank U, Next, Teenage Dream, I could go on and on. Kendrick had better quality that year. I said what I said. In music history, no one really cares about how many records you’ve sold or number one singles you’ve had, they care about quality. And TPAB > 1989. Not saying Taylor didn’t deliver, but TPAB was superior album and deserved AOTY.

I mean I 100% agree but 1989 was THE juggernaut to the GP and the Academy’s eyes, there is no denying that. My point was that IF Kendrick does release, there won’t be a huge juggernaut blocking his chances of winning like Taylor and Bruno (I don’t see The Weeknd being as undeniable as them but he can still win)

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

0/6

You say this as if The Weeknd is a 10x Grammy winner and has won outside the R&B field.

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

You guys are acting like the Grammys  always award the biggest album of the eligiblity period AOTY. as of late:

2017: Divide (regulated to pop, won 2 awards)

2018: reputation (1 pop nomination, lost)

2019: A Star is Born Soundtrack (3 GF noms, lost all, including no AOTY nom)

Now you guys are pressed because I don’t think Post Malone is winning? It’s cool if you do, but clearly almost all points made for these artists by many people, yet they lost. And I’m delusional and pressed.

FYC:

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

You say this as if The Weeknd is a 10x Grammy winner and has won outside the R&B field. 

Better than being 0/6, especially since After Hours is better than his past 2 commercial releases. 

FYC:

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

If you don’t believe The Weeknd will beat Post in AOTY, at least believe Gaga will with Chromatica against Post, at least in the pop nominations. Joanne upset winning over Better Now is indicative of that.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

You guys are acting like the Grammys  always award the biggest album of the eligiblity period AOTY. as of late:

I’m not acting like that at all. I don’t see Post as a lock either, but my point is he’s ahead with all the points you guys have been using to back reasonings for The Weeknd winning (sales, singles etc) and yet I see his AOTY winning chances severely overlooked here.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Better than being 0/6, especially since After Hours is better than his past 2 commercial releases.

After Hours on Metacritic: 80/100

Hollywood’s Bleeding: 79/100

You thinking AH is better is subjective so I’m not getting on to that, but if I didn’t know any better I’d think HB was a panned mess from the way this forum treats it.

Anyways from what I’m seeing, Post has the more successful album, successful singles, nearly the same amount of acclaim but is being overlooked because his album is “old” and he never won a Grammy before.

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

I’m not acting like that at all. I don’t see Post as a lock either, but my point is he’s ahead with all the points you guys have been using to back reasonings for The Weeknd winning (sales, singles etc) and yet I see his AOTY winning chances severely overlooked here.

My point is they take The Weeknd more seriously then Post Malone because I mean it’s impressive that he has an amazing sales and number one singles, but I mean they have never proven that they cared about him. They gave Cardi B and Drake a Grammy in 2018 while not award him anything, especially when he was able to get multiple that year. If he had at least one Grammy, I think the conversation would be differently. 

FYC:

Profile picture
    Kai
    Topics:

It’s cool if you do, but clearly almost all points made for these artists by many people, yet they lost.

You’re being very selective. First of all, WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? ended up becoming the biggest album of the eligibility period. Second, prior to those two other albums you mentioned, the biggest albums of the eligibility period did win (1989 & 25).

Now if your argument for The Weeknd winning is the album being better critically received than his previous ones, that’s flawed. Not one year in the past decade did the album with the most critical acclaim of the eligibility period win, and After Hours “critical acclaim” is weak (technically not even considered critical acclaim by MC’s own definition of an 81).

Personally, I don’t have commercial success nor critical acclaim as the reason why I don’t see The Weeknd as THE front runner for AOTY. To be blunt, he’s black. Time and time again we have seen the reception black artists get in AOTY. I am not placing my money on a black man, whose album artwork can be considered gruesome to old conservative white voters, and songs are plagued with drug references, to win AOTY.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

They gave Cardi B and Drake a Grammy in 2018 while not award him anything, especially when he was able to get multiple that year. If he had at least one Grammy, I think the conversation would be differently.

I don’t think him not winning a Grammy before matters THAT much. Post is way more established as an artist now, BB&B failed with critical acclaim while HB is near the 80s on MC, Circles and Sunflower are more successful than Rockstar and Psycho was at this point and a song like Rockstar was never going to win over a political song like This Is America anyway. It’s fine to have The Weeknd or whoever is your choice for AOTY but I’m just saying Post shouldn’t be underestimated the way that he constantly is.

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

Let me mind you that Sunflower, a more popular song that Bad Guy let me mind you, lost ROTY last year. Now you’re telling me an equally well enough single Circles will do that same mistake? After 2 times losing against other critically acclaimed competitions like Don’t Start Now and Blinding Lights, one of which already has a GF win. But yeah during the end of voting during the 2019 Grammy period he was never an “established artist”. Hollywood’s Bleeding has lower sales then Beerbongs and Bentleys.

Lastly, I was not talking that After Hours has more critical acclaim then Hollywood’s Bleeding, but rather 1. The Grammys took Abel more seriously. And 2. I speaking towards that After Hours has more critical acclaim then Beauty Behind the Madness and Starboy. 

Also, The Weeknd with the Grammys has overperformed where he was supposed to win. He won Urban Contemporary Album in 2018 against SZA, an indie r&b favorite, and Childish Gambino, that year AOTY and ROTY nominee and next year’s ROTY and SOTY winner. As well as in 2016, he lost the awards he was supposed to win to veteran D’Angelo and Ed Sheeran, who SOTY and Pop Solo should have gone to Taylor Swift, not either The Weeknd or Ed.

FYC:

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 606 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.