Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 13)

2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 606 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
ELIAS
Babygirl
Jenny Lewis Fan
  • Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

By established I meant taken more seriously, as you can see with the acclaim he’s received in the HB era. And I’ll say it again, Post not having any Grammys right now won’t affect him much during next year’s ceremony, it might give The Weeknd a leg up sure, but let’s stop acting like he’ll be lightyears ahead just because he’s won grammys before.

And sorry but as another user stated earlier, The Weeknd is a black man (I’m even still iffy on being confident of Kendrick Lamar at this point because of this) I find it hard to believe that the Academy would have a black artist with extremely grating (for their standards) album cover have a huge leg up against a rock / country friendly white artist who has more the successful era just because he’s the Grammy winner, sorry. (I’m saying this as a black person myself)

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

Lastly, The Weeknd has almost everything going for him, especially the narrative for winning AOTY.

1. He created an era that is now synonymous with the visions of the image of the Weeknd, the suit, the shades, the fast car in the moonlight. 

2. He helped popularize the 80s synth-dance aesthetic with Dua Lipa on Future Nostalgia. It definitely sounds like 2020. 

3. For those saying that he’s image was menacing is clearly not forgetting the whole Billie Eilish era of last year, dealing with similar topics, even if here they are more gruesome.

4. They can award an artist that the general public will eat up, while the Grammy’s can respect.

5. He has 2 #1, regardless of what you have to say.

6. He has a 4-week number one album, the longest of the 2020 album cycle.

7. He pretty good Metacritic numbers that match past winners.

8. He has a narrative, like past winners. Kacey won because she was ostracized within the country landscape. Billie Eilish won by implying that she and Finneas created the whole album at her old house, implying that you don’t need to leave your house to create record-breaking art, as well as ushering the new age for pop music. The Weeknd now has the narrative of being Black after all these allegations within the Grammys and most importantly around the world, especially since his backstory and how it relates to the Black in another country.

9. He is still campaigning, and probably until the Grammy period ends.

FYC:
    AOTY: Fetch the Bolt Cutters or After Hours
    ROTY & SOTY: Blinding Lights & Don’t Start Now
    BNA: Megan Thee Stallion or Rina Sawayama
    Rap Album: RTJ4
    Pop Album: SAWAYAMA
    Rock Album: The New Abnormal
    R&B Performance: Do It

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

For me, in an order of preference for a win:

1. Chromatica (probably not gonna happen, this album isn’t safe enough)
    2. Future Nostalgia
    3. Fine Line
    4. After Hours
    5. Please Excuse Me For Being Antisocial

I hope the committee blocks HB. And I’m really not enthusiastic about the other albums.

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

By established I meant taken more seriously, as you can see with the acclaim he’s received in the HB era. And I’ll say it again, Post not having any Grammys right now won’t affect him much during next year’s ceremony, it might give The Weeknd a leg up sure, but let’s stop acting like he’ll be lightyears ahead just because he’s won Grammys before. And sorry but as another user stated earlier, The Weeknd is a black man (I’m even still iffy on being confident of Kendrick Lamar at this point because of this) I don’t see a black man with extremely grating (for their standards) album cover having a huge leg up against a rock/country friendly white artist who has the successful era just because he’s the Grammy winner, sorry. (I’m saying this as a black person myself)

This year is going to be a different rodeo, as I could imagine that narrative that a Black Man lost to a White Man, sort of how Macklemore and Ryan Lewis won against many categories, but again the Grammys never care about a great collection of tracks these days, they care about a reason for that said album to win. How is Post Malone changing the sound of pop music to the point that it deserves AOTY? The whole sound and aesthetic of The Weeknd has influenced his sound as well as others in pop, and that includes Dua Lipa and Lady Gaga in the conversation. What narrative other than sales and acclaim does Post Malone have that The Weeknd or Dua Lipa or Roddy Ricch or Fiona Apple have?

FYC:

Profile picture
    abelfenty
    Topics:

Hollywood’s Bleeding spent five weeks at #1.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

I mean ASIB spent 4 weeks at #1 and sold like 7M WW but they still blocked it. It was a soundtrack so I can see the difference.

I’m predicting HB as of now. I am just hoping that it’ll be blocked.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

How is Post Malone changing the sound of pop music to the point that it deserves AOTY?

If you honestly think The Academy will care about that… 💀

And let’s not act like The Weeknd biting off the 80’s sound like almost everyone else has makes him super influential in the pop scene. If the Academy cared so much about narratives over sales then please tell me why 25, 1989, 24k Magic etc all won over albums with bigger narratives.

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

Any this year? Because I could definitely compare the sales of Hollywood’s Bleeding to A Star is Born Soundtrack… but at least Gaga has multiple Grammys for Shallow for that Soundtrack. ASIB sold around 6 million worldwide while Billie Sold 4.1 million worldwide, but I mean who won AOTY again? So I mean I think it really doesn’t matter who sells more do it, because of Divide, reputation., and Hollywood’s Bleeding did numbers and sales.

I remember saying this to M a year ago, the Grammy doesn’t give a fuck only about sales atm, give them a narrative, and they will run with it.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

I mean ASIB spent 4 weeks at #1 and sold like 7M WW but they still blocked it. It was a soundtrack so I can see the difference.

I’m predicting HB as of now. I am just hoping that it’ll be blocked.

Circles itself will make HB too hard to ignore. If Shallow was competing in the last season instead of 2018 then the album would’ve made it’s way in the lineup.

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

If you honestly think The Academy will care about that… 💀 And let’s not act like The Weeknd biting off the 80’s sound like almost everyone else has made him super influential in the pop scene. If the Academy cared so much about narratives over sales then tell me how 25, 1989, 24k Magic, etc all won over albums with bigger narratives.

Let’s not get your panties in a twist with your stupid gifs. The difference is the production, done by Oneohtrix Point Never, which creates a moodier production that I think a lot of synthpop fans neglect, such as with Depeche Mode and Eurythmics. I feel like many sounds like with Billie Eilish last year are going for a darker and edgier look. 1989 and After Hours are 2 very different synth pop-inspired albums. 

You’re comparison of 24k Magic and After Hours actually stands-up as Bruno Mars was recognized as being the anti-white winner, as I remember correctly they said “There were no white males nominated in AOTY and won in the GF”, especially since his sound is very Grammy friendly. After the Grammy’s recent accusations and the whole Black Lives Matter protest, the general public will come for another year of white winners. There cannot be a way that the Grammys can deny a Black person from winning, especially since many of those said artists lost against many other Black artists.

FYC:

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

Circles itself will make HB too hard to ignore. If Shallow was competing in the last season instead of 2018 then the album would’ve made its way in the lineup.

You’re telling me that Shallow would be competitive against Billie Eilish, something that beat Sunflower, Old Town Road (the longest number-one single of all time let me mind you), Truth Hurts, and 7 rings, and Shallow is competitive for a week of going number one because of the Oscars? Honey no.

FYC:

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

On the Circles debacle, Circles has spent around the same number with Blinding Lights, but the longevity will get its nominations, a narrative will get it the winner.

Circles have the same longevity as other Post Malone songs have, but still lost against other competition, yet still lost. Why? Because of the narrative. Billie and Childish Gambino won with fewer longevity songs, so you’re saying Blinding Light won’t against Circles, bitch, please.

FYC:

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

I’m talking my “annoying ass font” to bed, but I can’t wait to be right for the 4 year in a row with Ed, Taylor, Gaga, now Post. It’s like you never learn. Can’t wait to see it get blocked come November 2020. 

FYC:

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Let’s not get your panties in a twist with your stupid gifs. The difference is the production, done by Oneohtrix Point Never, which creates a moodier production that I think a lot of synthpop fans neglect, such as with Depeche Mode and Eurythmics. I feel like many sounds like with Billie Eilish last year are going for a darker and edgier look. 1989 and After Hours are 2 very different synth pop-inspired albums. 

You’re comparison of 24k Magic and After Hours actually stands-up as Bruno Mars was recognized as being the anti-white winner, as I remember correctly they said “There were no white males nominated in AOTY and won in the GF”, especially since his sound is very Grammy friendly. After the Grammy’s recent accusations and the whole Black Lives Matter protest, the general public will come for another year of white winners. There cannot be a way that the Grammys can deny a Black person from winning, especially since many of those said artists lost against many other Black artists.

I can say the same about your eye gouging font, but let’s stay on topic shall we?

I wasn’t even comparing 24K and After Hours, I was answering your question about narratives. 24K had a leg up against DAMN because it was more successful, everyone knows DAMN had the bigger narrative before the ceremony. Same thing with 25 and Lemonade…. let’s not act like the academy always cares more about albums with bigger narratives than the ones with bigger commercial success as of lately.

Now to answer your question on what Post has going for him outside of success, I would think this would be quite obvious but genre appeal is another thing he has going for him as HB has songs that can are rap, pop, rock etc while After Hours is a straight r&b album with a few pop tracks (or that’s what it’s intended to be, I believe the album is mostly pop but w/e) but anyways that can give him more support when it comes to voting. I would even argue that HB might even be more appealing to The Academy’s taste from aesthetics to the sound, unlike After Hours where the aesthetics of the era revolve around grating blood / violence, most of the songs are diseased with drug references and are a bit too slow / depressive.

Anyways that’s just my two cents. The whole point I was trying to make this entire time is NOT that The Weeknd can’t win (I literally have him second), but rather Post is just being severely underestimated and that most of the points you guys are making for The Weeknd can apply to Post too.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Also, the literal crying with the multiple posts just because I’m not worshipping The Weeknd like that is not it. Take that meltdown to bed sis.

Anyways stream Circles.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 606 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.