Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 14)

2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 14)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 619 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
ELIAS
Babygirl
janet.
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Continue on in Part 14.

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

If I had to guess the nom tally for some artists;

The Weeknd- 7 (AOTY, ROTY, SOTY, Urban Contemporary, Pop Solo, Music Video, R&B)

Roddy Rich- 6 (AOTY, ROTY, Rap Album, Rap Song, Rap Performance, Rap/Sung)

Megan Thee Stallion- 5 (ROTY, BNA, Rap Album, Rap Song, Rap/Sung)

Dua Lipa- 4 (AOTY, ROTY, Pop Solo, Pop Vocal)

Post Malone- 4 (AOTY, ROTY, Pop Vocal, Pop Solo)

The Highwomen- 4 (AOTY, SOTY, Country Song, Country Album)

Fiona Apple- 3 (AOTY, SOTY, Alternative)

Profile picture
    fortheculture
    Topics:

It is a well known fact that a large majority of pop hits are written in major keys, and most pop music consists of rearrangements of a very small number of chords. Even most of Billie Eilish’s album, including bad guy, is written in major keys, despite having dark production style.

Anyway, the Weeknd is one of the few huge pop stars who writes songs in minor keys. Blinding Lights is one of the only songs on After Hours that is written in a major key, and that is naturally the song that became a hit. I really feel that the album has several songs that are much more beautiful than Blinding Lights, but judging from the sentiment of this forum, I’m beginning to feel that most people just don’t like melancholy bummer music. After Hours the song and Snowchild are really achingly beautiful.

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

If The Weeknd is not going to win AOTY, he is definitely going to win at least ROTY or SOTY with Blinding Lights. It’s definitely has the most cleanest lyrics of the year and on The Weeknd’s album, and it has that synth/dance-pop many musicians tried to emulate this year.

I also think that if they award him ROTY and SOTY, voters might be like “Fuck it we already award him both awards, might as well”

FYC:
    AOTY: Fetch the Bolt Cutters or After Hours
    ROTY & SOTY: Blinding Lights & Don’t Start Now
    BNA: Megan Thee Stallion or Rina Sawayama
    Rap Album: RTJ4
    Pop Album: SAWAYAMA
    Rock Album: The New Abnormal
    R&B Performance: Do It

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

Almost all of the AOTY sweep the awards that they are nominated for, and it seems that it only applies to The Weeknd and Roddy Ricch at this point, within the respective r&b and rap perspectively, but we can agree that the general public would award Blinding Lights before The Box.

Lady Gaga will definitely beat Post Malone in Pop Vocal, and Pop Solo has a slight edge towards Blinding Lights with Circles on it’s coattails. Fiona literally has 3-4 awards, and I doubt that she will win only one, and that hasn’t happened since 2014, but Fiona Apple is no Beck, even she didn’t campaign.

FYC:

Profile picture
    tomblights
    Topics:

If The Weeknd is not going to win AOTY, he is definitely going to win at least ROTY or SOTY with Blinding Lights. It’s definitely has the most cleanest lyrics of the year and on The Weeknd’s album, and it has that synth/dance-pop many musicians tried to emulate this year. I also think that if they award him ROTY and SOTY, voters might be like “Fuck it we already award him both awards, might as well”

I can see Abel winning SOTY and ROTY easily in addition to Pop Solo, but AOTY is a far cry from reality.

Profile picture
    tomblights
    Topics:

Almost all of the AOTY sweep the awards that they are nominated for, and it seems that it only applies to The Weeknd and Roddy Ricch at this point, within the respective r&b and rap perspectively, but we can agree that the general public would award Blinding Lights before The Box.   Lady Gaga will definitely beat Post Malone in Pop Vocal, and Pop Solo has a slight edge towards Blinding Lights with Circles on it’s coattails. Fiona literally has 3-4 awards, and I doubt that she will win only one, and that hasn’t happened since 2014, but Fiona Apple is no Beck, even she didn’t campaign

Gaga will lose BPSP, but she is wins BPVA and BPD/G, if Rain On Me has stability I can see it wins SOTY too

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

AOTY for Abel does not sound delusional, after the fact that he will probably win ROTY and SOTY, so why would the Grammy stop there?

I really do believe that Grammy will award a Black AOTY winner this year, not because of my hopes or that they really want to, they just want to escape controversy after not giving it to another capable Black musician one year in a row.

FYC:

Profile picture
    tomblights
    Topics:

AOTY for Abel does not sound delusional, after the fact that he will probably win ROTY and SOTY, so why would the Grammy stop there?

the only thing that takes Abel out of AOTY is his explicit music.

Profile picture
    Bee
    Topics:

Gaga will lose BPSP, but she is wins BPVA and BPD/G, if Rain On Me has stability I can see it wins SOTY too

It wont even be nominated in SOTY. How can you say After Hours winning AOTY is outrageous but then imply that ROM is going to win SOTY? And she isn’t getting Pop Solo nom.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Let’s not overhype Gaga.

It is true that the committee generally likes her. We’ve seen that with Shallow’s ROTY/SOTY (despite spending just 2 weeks in the top 10 at the time) and ARUTW (not even cracking the top 40), but I think for ROM to become a safe bet, it really needs to be a multi-week TOP10 hit.

I’d say at least 6-8 weeks in the top 10 over the summer.

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

Lady Gaga in ROTY/SOTY is still a blur since we don’t know it’s longevity, but it is safe to say she is taking both Pop Vocal and Pop Duo/Group.

People can try to push the Post v. Gaga narrative, but let’s be honest, if Gaga can win for a release of Joanne, yet alone it was a live version of the track against Better Now, a huge single for Post Malone, why do you think Gaga won’t win with Chromatica?

Rain on Me seems like a safe bet for Pop Duo this year, as it has been very lackluster this year.

FYC:

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

the only thing that takes Abel out of AOTY is his explicit music.

The last time an explicit album won AOTY was Outkast back in 2005. I remember people were using the argument that Billie Eilish was not going to win because it has been years since it since a Best New Artist winner won AOTY, yet alone there was a sweep. I can recall people were saying “If Sam Smith couldn’t do it, how could Billie Eilish do it?”

I’m not saying The Weeknd will win despite that since it has been awhile as well as we know the Grammys have been super racist as of late. But the hip-hop/r&b is becoming the prominent genres in the world, so therefore the biggest projects, whether it is Post Malone or The Weeknd, will be explicit. The Grammys will have choose at one point or another to choose an explicit album.

FYC:

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

Lastly, I do want to point out that Fiona Apple’s Fetch the Bolt Cutters is also explicit, and if it wins would be the first explicit album in years, so I mean the Grammys need to choose from whatever they want.

“To the fucking mutton that they’re talking about//You can pout, but don’t you//
    Don’t you, don’t you, don’t you//Don’t you shush me”

-Under the Table (Fiona Apple)

FYC:

Profile picture
    Reformed Thot
    Topics:

Saying fvck and sh*t a couple of times on two songs to express some anger isn’t particularly “explicit” in today’s world. While there been a handful of albums over the past twenty years to win AOTY that contains a few curse words. That isn’t much of a big deal. The Weeknd’s album has a much more generous use of “foul” language and is very driven by sex, party, drugs tropes. I do think people are slightly over-hyping how much the album’s explicit nature will hurt its chances. But his genre, the explicit nature of the album, the “off-putting” cover and maybe Fiona (deservedly) getting more passion votes can all together equate to a loss. It could happen that way. But I still see him as the front-runner for now.

Listen Idiot Awards Voters, give as many awards as you possibly can to these albums:

Fiona Apple- Fetch the Bolt Cutters
    Perfume Genius- Set My Heart On Fire Immediately
    Hiam- Women in Music Part lll
    Ka- Descendants of Cain
    Waxahatchee- Saint Cloud
    Run the Jewels- Run the Jewels 4

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 619 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 14)’ is closed to new replies.