Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 14)

2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 14)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 618 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
BYEDON2020
Babygirl
Adele
  • Profile picture
    Adele
    Topics:

Get real! There is a Rap panel.  Changing the name from Best Rap/Sung Performance to Best Melodic Rap Performance (BARF!) will NOT help a lot of rappers get some nominations that they otherwise wouldn’t have gotten under the old criteria.

Profile picture
    thefunkydeltron
    Topics:

Ajay is like BigQuint but only for pop chicks. Sometimes both of them overreacting and overhyping stuff.

Profile picture
    ScottyDog
    Topics:

Yeah, the name change just reflects the previous rule change. The nominations will look the same, but the name just makes more sense now.

Profile picture
    Rickety-old-Thot
    Topics:

Ajay is like BigQuint but only for pop chicks. Sometimes both of them overreacting and overhyping stuff.

That’s how I feel about her. She’s entertaining. But she’s reduced herself to kissing stan Twitter’s arse. And it seems like she has started being consciously over-the-top with her reactions in order to maintain meme status. In general, all these popular reactors have started over-doing sh*t and placating social media.

best albums of 2020: Fetch The Bolt Cutters, Set My Heart On Fire Immediately, What’s Your Pleasure, Run The Jewels 4, St Cloud, Grae, The Descendants of Cain

Bigquint definitely overreacts to stuff as does Ajay, but it’s entertaining.

Profile picture
    thefunkydeltron
    Topics:

That’s how I feel about her. She’s entertaining. But she’s reduced herself to kissing stan Twitter’s arse. And it seems like she has started being consciously over-the-top with her reactions in order to maintain meme status. In general, all these popular reactors have started over-doing sh*t and placating social media.

Bigquint definitely overreacts to stuff as does Ajay, but it’s entertaining.

That kinda feel forced. Trying to meme themselves, kinda pitiful.

Profile picture
    caleidoscopio
    Topics:

So… had BNA rules changed in 2018, Cardi would’ve been eligible in 2019, and won by a landslide.

Transferring Latin Urban albums to Latin Pop Album to prevent Urban albums from beating Rock and Alternative albums comes across as an anti-Urban move to me. Reminds me the 2019 Latin Grammys… Makes me wonder if this could jeopardize what should’ve been an easy AOTY win for Bad Bunny at the Latin Grammys… I smell robbery. I now hope he makes it to AOTY at BOTH Grammys.

I did like the Melodic Rap change. But it lowkey makes me wonder if this is isn’t because of Truth Hurts & Old Town Road’s wins. Since the rise of Pop Trap and until 2020, Best Pop Solo Performance seemed like one of the most competitive genre categories. Now, it seems like Melodic Rap Performance will take its place.

eg.: the categories I mentioned last year

BPSP: Truth Hurts and maybe 7 rings would’ve been transferred (and the latter would’ve been rejected by the Rap committee). bad guy would’ve won the category, and probably Halsey & thank u, next would’ve snagged the 4th and 5th nods.

BPD/GP: Old Town Road would’ve been transferred to Melodic Rap (and probably win over Higher). boyfriend & Sunflower may be trap pop songs, but they do not contain rap verses. so they would stay. Sunflower would’ve most likely won.

Melodic Rap: with both OTR & TH getting in, I wonder who would’ve been excluded from the Rap/Sung lineup. I think some BPD/GP rejects would’ve made it to this category… Maybe MIA? if they allow Spanish language songs in here, Bad Bunny may eventually be nominated. Hopefully in 2021.

this year, amongst our most predicted BPSP and BPD/GP nominees, who is going to be transferred to Melodic Rap? I think Say So only. I don’t see that many Pop Rap songs in the Pop field this year.

TL;DR: I did not hate these, I am 100% in favor of more inclusive/borderline categories! but considering the “curent state and prominent representation” of the industry, it lowkey seems like they don’t want Trap Pop to beat Adult Contemporary music or African Americans to beat whites.

FYC: Everyone black & Fiona Apple

Profile picture
    nxddyfs
    Topics:

OK, looking deeper, here are the new rules.

https://www.grammy.com/grammys/awards/rules-guidelines

Roddy and Lewis wouldn’t be eligible based the bolded ones below.

BEST NEW ARTIST
    FOR ALBUMS, SINGLES, OR TRACKS
    SCREENING CRITERIA This category recognizes an artist whose eligibility-year release(s) achieved
    a breakthrough into the public consciousness and notably impacted the musical landscape.
    In adjudicating this category, the primary element to consider is the artist’s performance. If the
    artist wrote most or all of the songs, this may be a secondary consideration. Production elements of
    the recording should not be considered.
    • Minimum releases to meet eligibility: five singles/tracks or one album.
    • While there will be no specified maximum number of releases, the screening committees will be
    charged with determining whether the artist had attained a breakthrough or prominence prior to
    the eligibility year. Such a determination would result in disqualification.
    An artist may not enter into this category more than three times, including as a performing
    member of an established group.
    • Solo artists and established duos and groups.
    • Solo artists formerly with duos/groups, provided the duo/group had not attained prominence.
    • New established duos/groups consisting of former solo artists or former group members,
    provided that none of the previous solo artists nor the duo/group had attained prominence.
    • New recording artists who previously achieved recognition in a different discipline, such as
    songwriters, politicians, actors, astronauts, etc.
    NOT ELIGIBLE
    • Any artist who had achieved a breakthrough in a prior eligibility year.
    • Any artist with a previous GRAMMY nomination as a performer,including a nomination as an
    established member of a nominated group.
    Exception: If an artist is nominated (but does not win) for the release of a single or as a featured
    artist or collaborator on a compilation or another artist’s album before the artist has released at
    least five singles or an entire album (and becomes eligible in this category for the first time), the
    artist may enter this category in the eligibility year during which the artist’s fifth single/track or
    first album is released.
    • An artist with a previous songwriting GRAMMY nomination, if the nominated song had gained its
    prominence through a performance by the songwriter as the primary artist.
    Exception: If an artist received the nomination (but does not win) for writing a song that had
    gained its prominence through a performance by the songwriter as the primary artist before the
    artist has released at least five singles or an entire album (and becomes eligible in this category
    for the first time), the artist may enter this category in the eligibility year during which the artist’s
    fifth single/track or first album is released.

• Collaborations involving two or more individuals who are not an established group.
    • Artists who have been credited only as featured artists.
    • Choirs, choruses and large band ensembles (16 or more members).
    • Non-music-performing video performers (e.g., dancers, actors).
    • Musical craftspeople (songwriters, engineers, producers, art directors, remixers, notes writers,
    etc.).
    • Any person active in public life whose entered recording was not intended to be the subject of a
    commercial release.
    • A group carrying on the name and tradition of a previous group that would be ineligible due to
    number of recordings or prior breakthrough, even if the personnel changes.
    • A group that would be ineligible due to number of recordings or prior breakthrough, even if it
    changes its name.
    * NOTE: The word “artist” is used inclusively to signify performing solo artists as well as
    established performing duos and groups.

So shall I say that Harry Styles is a strong contender for BNA now or?

Profile picture
    Skies
    Topics:

So shall I say that Harry Styles is a strong contender for BNA now or?

Though his music has become more popular with Fine Line, this still isn’t his breakthrough year.

Profile picture
    Rickety-old-Thot
    Topics:

I would feel uncomfortable with Harry Styles popping up in BNA. It’s not like his previous album didn’t get any mainstream buzz, Grammy buzz and had no chart success. But the committee is likely desperate to fill those spots. So, I wouldn’t be surprised if they let him in.

best albums of 2020: Fetch The Bolt Cutters, Set My Heart On Fire Immediately, What’s Your Pleasure, Run The Jewels 4, St Cloud, Grae, The Descendants of Cain

Profile picture
    VictorJustino
    Topics:

Changes by Bieber is perfect for the description of R&B Progressive Album

Just like After Hours

Let’s see who gets nominated .

If Roddy Ricch wasn’t winning a Grammy next year before, he definitely is now with the change from Best Rap/Sung Performance to Best Melodic Rap Performance.

Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

To all who say “The Box” is Rap Performance, think twice.

Profile picture
    Adele
    Topics:

Honey, Justin Bieber’s Changes will be properly placed in Best Pop Vocal Album.

Profile picture
    Isti Berekméri
    Topics:

Changes by Bieber is perfect for the description of R&B Progressive Album Just like After Hours Let’s see who gets nominated .

I think that Justin will most definitely submit to BPVA. The Weeknd, on the other hand, will probably win in the Best Progressive R&B Album category.

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 618 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 14)’ is closed to new replies.