Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 17)

2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 566 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Darren
ELIAS
Deemy
  • Profile picture
    Preston!
    Topics:

Chart predictors are saying Rain On Me might go back to number five next week. Yup!

Profile picture
    Vogue
    Topics:

Saying that Post can win after having several losses just because Mumford did it is a superficial argument. The context of these artists is completely different. Mumford and Sons first album simmered for at least a year as they grew in fame and popularity. They lost all their Grammy noms on their first album because they hadn’t fully broken through to the mainstream yet, and they lost in alternative categories because the music is kind of cheesy and could be considered alternative music written for pop music audiences. By the time Babel was released with I Will Wait as the lead single, they were household names releasing their biggest and best song of their career that really broke all the way through to the mainstream. Even if the music is cheesy, the musicianship is undeniable on Babel. They play like a million instruments and sing beautifully. The songwriting is passionate and successfully fuses elements from pop, folk and indie/alternative and they mostly write sentimental love songs that appeal to older voters. Meanwhile, Post Malone has already been a household name and a superstar for at least five years, since people realized that White Iverson isn’t gonna be a one hit wonder (as much as I wish it had been). He has been shitting out the same low effort pop rap year after year. He had a succesful year, but he has had lots of succesful years and the Grammys have repeatedly shown that they do not like him. Its not like he had an artistic breakthrough or really broke through to the mainstream with an undeniable song like Mumford did.

My point exactly.

Profile picture
    Vogue
    Topics:

I just don’t get why Post is this undeniable favorite to win anything all cause he made a more stripped down Pop song.

Profile picture
    JustGuy89
    Topics:

I just don’t get why Post is this undeniable favorite to win anything all cause he made a more stripped down Pop song.

I love Posty but he isn’t winning shit.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

the Grammys have repeatedly shown that they do not like him.

I don’t think 6 losses in categories with mostly strong competition prove that but go off.

If they didn’t like him he wouldn’t have gotten the nominations he’s gotten. Being successful doesn’t guarantee you Grammy nominations.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Who said that?

Profile picture
    ScottyDog
    Topics:

Watermelon Sugar is leapfrogging up the charts to number 19. It’s headed for a top 10 for sure. I have a hard time seeing Grammys overlooking him this year. His label is pushing HARD to make this the year of Harry Styles.

Profile picture
    Emptyhanded
    Topics:

Chart predictors are saying Rain On Me might go back to number five next week. Yup!

That has to be a mistake. People here keep saying it’s falling out of the top 10.

Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

NOBODY is saying he’s the ultimate lock to win everything, but to act like he 100% can’t win shit is ridiculous.

Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

If Blackstar, a final album from an all-time great artist directly confronting his own death with the most ambitious production for his music since the Berlin era, didn’t get an AOTY nomination, I am unconvinced Bob Dylan will for a work that is much less significant within his wider discography. That Lazarus and Blackstar briefly charted in the Top 100, rather than just his older and more famous songs, upon Bowie’s death says a lot. Yes, it was bumped by different circumstances, but nonetheless Blackstar was a deeply significant album that had broader cultural resonance than being another Bowie album. I am not so sure about the Bob Dylan album having such an impact.

I wonder why they couldn’t pull a Genius Loves Company for Blackstar though. However, I’m glad the album snatched that Best Engineered Album award because it’d be criminal not to reward the engineers for that album for their masterpiece.

2020 is the year for the GRAMMYs to break new ground and nominate a Spanish language album in its biggest category. Bad Bunny’s record has stayed in the Top 20 since its release, it’s been praised, broke records, made history, and catapulted BB into a new stratosphere. If this doesn’t happen it would be a wasted opportunity.

I felt the same way last year for an album that imo was deserving of an AOTY nod EL MAL QUERER. Bad Bunny’s project has the Latin Pop or Urban category on lock for now, but AOTY is still quite a stretch.

Profile picture
    Preston!
    Topics:

That has to be a mistake. People here keep saying it’s falling out of the top 10.

😌

Profile picture
    Prince
    Topics:

Honey, “Adore You” and “Watermelon Sugar” are trash.  Voters will have to be high as a kite to vote for Harry Styles.

Profile picture
    fortheculture
    Topics:

People generally like to listen to music in their native languages. Even if a song is amazing in all ways, an important piece of the music is lost on audiences who can’t understand the lyrics. I think this is why non-vocal genres like classical, electronic, jazz, etc. seem to be more global. A talented classical composer or a DJ can find a global audience, while singers have difficulty breaking through in foreign language markets. Of course, there are pop stars that are globally famous,  but in general people do listen to music in their native language. Lyrical music that has a strong visual component (music videos, dancing, fashionable stars) has an easier time breaking through to foreign language markets, eg. K-pop.

Anyway, there are over 60 million Spanish speakers in America, about 18% of the American population. This is a huge demographic for which Bad Bunny is an A-list star with the biggest album of the year period. Another huge portion of America has probably never even heard the name Bad Bunny. I don’t believe that linguistic walls will ever fully come down in music. People will continue listening to music in their native languages, and foreign language breakthroughs on pop music radio will continue to be exceptions, not the norm. Collaborations between English and Spanish language stars (or between stars of any two foreign languages) often seem awkward and cross-promotional in nature, and clearly motivated by marketing. As much as there  is an inherent linguistic wall that exists in lyrical music, I would like to see this wall eroded to the greatest degree possible. I hope to see more genuine multi-lingual collaboration and more foreign language hits. It would be nice for the Grammy’s to help break down this linguistic wall and acknowledge that America is larger than just English speaking America. I think this should be the year for them to do that by nominating Bad Bunny in AOTY.

You could argue that Selena and Enrique Iglesias broke down those walls somewhat, but that’s really the only names I can think of.

Profile picture
    borisy
    Topics:

You could argue that Selena and Enrique Iglesias broke down those walls somewhat, but that’s really the only names I can think of.

shakira

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 566 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 17)’ is closed to new replies.