Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 19)

2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 19)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 536 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
ELIAS
Jenny Lewis Fan
blackwidow12
  • Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

Who do you think is pulling a Spirit this year and getting surprise pop nominations? We always have some surprise nods in this field, like Xtina, Tony Bennet and Backstreet Boys in 2019, and several others. Usually they are based on name recognition. Do you see someone having the same faith? I think the Pop Duo/Group category will have unexpected nominees since there really is no competition.

On second thought, I’d say Norah Jones. Her new album is cool. And idk why I feel Black Eyed Peas would show up in Pop Duo/Group with “RITMO”. Twenty One Pilots too might show up here.

Profile picture
    blackwidow12
    Topics:

Demi maybe?

I really don’t see Demi getting in. I think Anyone for Pop Solo would be a lock in another year, but it just got way too crowded this time around and we already have 3 songs which are basically locked (Circles/DSN/BL) + a whole lot of other hits in the running (Billie/Harry/Doja). I’m Ready honestly wasn’t that good of a song and they have been ignoring Sam since the year he swept.

Profile picture
    blackwidow12
    Topics:

On second thought, I’d say Norah Jones. Her new album is cool. And idk why I feel Black Eyed Peas would show up in Pop Duo/Group with “RITMO”. Twenty One Pilots too might show up here.

I could really see TOP getting in honestly. I also think Coldplay, even though their album was a colossal disaster, might get a filler nod in Pop Duo/Group.

Profile picture
    Reformed Thot
    Topics:

They’ve had quite a few opportunities over the last two decades to give AOTY to popular, acclaimed albums from black artists. Every time they’ve not done it. No popular, acclaimed black artist has won AOTY since the early 00’s. While five out of six AOTY winners being white women would be no happenstance. There are a multitude of circumstances that help lead to that happening. Whether you think all the wins are deserving or not, trying to deny that a lack of racial diversity in the academy and a lack of younger members have had something to do with these results is absurd. Sell that to someone else. I’m fully behind a Fiona win. I stan her and her album. And I would be disappointed if she lost to, say, The Weeknd. But I’m not stupid.

Listen Idiot Awards Voters, give as many awards as you possibly can to these albums:

Fiona Apple- Fetch the Bolt Cutters
    Haim- Women in Music Part lll
    Run the Jewels- Run the Jewels 4

Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

I could really see TOP getting in honestly. I also think Coldplay, even though their album was a colossal disaster, might get a filler nod in Pop Duo/Group.

Call me drunk, but Powfu or the guys who made “Sunday Best” could also get one. LMAO

Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

Do you think we might have the likes of “Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On)”, “Rich Woman” (Robert Plant) or “Imagine” (Herbie Hancock) in the Pop Duo/Group category this time? i.e. songs that blur the lines between pop and other genres and aren’t so popular in the mainstream.

Profile picture
    blackwidow12
    Topics:

Do you think we might have the likes of “Gone Gone Gone (Done Moved On)”, “Rich Woman” (Robert Plant) or “Imagine” (Herbie Hancock) in the Pop Duo/Group category this time? i.e. songs that blur the lines between pop and other genres and aren’t so popular in the mainstream.

When this songs were nominated there was the split between Collaboration and Group so it was obviously easier to get in. Today just 5 tracks get in while until 2011 there were 10 divided in 2 categories. I think some of this tracks nowadays would be left out in favour of bigger hits, since they mostly pick popular songs, other than a few exceptions.

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

First of all, if we’re looking at AOTY, what are Cardi and SZA doing in the conversation? And the simple question is why in the heck does that matter? Both Kacey and Billie deserved their wins and so should Fiona.

Cardi B has both a mixture of critical and commercial success, yet lost to indie country darling Kacey Musgraves. The fact of getting both a mix of commercial and critical success should have extended to DAMN. or BEYONCÉ, yet lost to safer acts or critical acclaimed acts. The fact that Adele and Billie Eilish is able to do that and not the aforementioned Black artists is alarming.

SZA was more geered towards Alessia Cara winning BNA, but the fact that her debut album was released in 2015 and the only thing she released in 2017 was features on hit songs while SZA is putting out a critical darling album proves the stupidity of the Grammys.

FYC:
    AOTY: Fetch the Bolt Cutters or After Hours
    ROTY & SOTY: Blinding Lights & Don’t Start Now
    BNA: Megan Thee Stallion or Rina Sawayama
    Rap Album: RTJ4
    Country Album: Gaslighter
    Americana Album: Reunions
    Pop Album: SAWAYAMA
    Rock Album: The New Abnormal
    R&B Performance: Do It

Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

Cardi B has both a mixture of critical and commercial success, yet lost to indie country darling Kacey Musgraves. The fact of getting both a mix of commercial and critical success should have extended to DAMN. or BEYONCÉ, yet lost to safer acts or critical acclaimed acts. The fact that Adele and Billie Eilish is able to do that and not the aforementioned Black artists is alarming. SZA was more geered towards Alessia Cara winning BNA, but the fact that her debut album was released in 2015 and the only thing she released in 2017 was features on hit songs while SZA is putting out a critical darling album proves the stupidity of the Grammys.

You had me at stupidity. I like that word. But I choose not to hate on ’em still.

What we fail to realize is that there is no objective good in the arts. The debate is still about what album/artist deserved this and that, which should be history by now. I don’t think there’s any factual publication about the demographics of the Recording Academy’s voting members, but that really doesn’t matter.

Lest we forget, the albums that suffered losses at the hands of “racism” also had some form of justifiable cause.

1989 was the hugest album commercially that year and boasted several top ten singles and three solid #1’s.

25 was Adele’s huge comeback, and trust the Grammys, they’re addicted to giving artists a sweep like nothing else.

24K Magic wasn’t the best critically or commercially, but somehow, the polls preceding the Grammys indicated it was an audience fave. I wish I’d screenshotted those. It was mind-blowing.

Of all the albums nominated at the 62nd Grammys, Golden Hour received about the most critical acclaim and was considered by many to be a solid record.

WHEN WE ALL FALL ASLEEP, WHERE DO WE GO? shined basically because of Finneas’s production, which was pretty great stuff. Ir was also such a huge album commercially.

What am I saying? Yes, the decisions aren’t so great, but they could’ve been worse. Whatever be their reason, only God really knows. Cut them some slack and let’s just hope they don’t continue to reward “safe” choices.

Profile picture
    blackwidow12
    Topics:

I personally find last year’s choices as good ones. The only one i truly can’t understand to this day is Bruno’s sweep, especially with DAMN. and Melodrama in the running for AOTY. Kacey, Billie and Adele are alright with me. Taylor is my favourite artist so obviously I rooted for her for the whole season. I think that the one time Bey truly deserved to win and was completely robbed is in 2015. In my opinion the self titled was and still is her best album.

Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

I personally find last year’s choices as good ones. The only one i truly can’t understand to this day is Bruno’s sweep, especially with DAMN. and Melodrama in the running for AOTY. Kacey, Billie and Adele are alright with me. Taylor is my favourite artist so obviously I rooted for her for the whole season. I think that the one time Bey truly deserved to win and was completely robbed is in 2015. In my opinion the self titled was and still is her best album.

Yeah, me too. I was distraught when Bruno won. The rest were understandable.

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

I just want the same reasons why Adele won to translate to Kendrick is or to Billie to Beyoncé. This has nothing to do with the others like 21 or WWAFAWDWG. I just want the same implications that put Kacey Musgraves over Cardi B to be in place with To Pimp A Butterfly or LEMONADE, since they wanted to award that album.

FYC:
    AOTY: Fetch the Bolt Cutters or After Hours
    ROTY & SOTY: Blinding Lights & Don’t Start Now
    BNA: Megan Thee Stallion or Rina Sawayama
    Rap Album: RTJ4
    Country Album: Gaslighter
    Americana Album: Reunions
    Pop Album: SAWAYAMA
    Rock Album: The New Abnormal
    R&B Performance: Do It

Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

I just want the same reasons why Adele won to translate to Kendrick is or to Billie to Beyoncé. This has nothing to do with the others like 21 or WWAFAWDWG. I just want the same implications that put Kacey Musgraves over Cardi B to be in place with To Pimp A Butterfly or LEMONADE, since they wanted to award that album.

Again, we can only hope they make the right decisions.

For me, AOTY should be based on the actual quality. I don’t care about narratives nor success, good music should win.

If we’re to take the academy by their word,  they won’t be paying attention to what happens with a song/album or the personnel involved. If they chose to lie to our faces with the rules they just published, kudos to them.

A measure of what’s good music is the opinions of reliable music critics, most of which are saying Fetch the Bolt Cutters is about the best album of the year so far.

Where the Grammys come to play is in the case of the I Used to Know Her‘s of the world that are actually good but didn’t get the opportunity for a variety of reasons to receive reviews from notable critics.

I can only hope for the best.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    alex00g2
    Topics:

Yeah, me too. I was distraught when Bruno won. The rest were understandable.

Meanwhile at the BRIT awards during the same awards season in 2018

British Album of the Year – Stormzy – Gang Signs & Prayer
    Best International Male Solo Artist – Kendrick Lamar
    Best International Female Solo Artist – Lorde

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 536 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 19)’ is closed to new replies.