Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 20)

2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 20)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 931 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
ELIAS
marcostm
blackwidow12
  • Profile picture
    fortheculture
    Topics:

Whats the difference between Doja Cat and Lady Gaga then Harry Styles and Dua Lipa?

Thats his opinion, but I don’t even with half the things he/she said. Again, how is Hot Pink the better album?

Hot Pink is my favorite pop album of the year mostly because Cyber Sex and Bottom Bitch are my favorite pop songs of the year. They are just absolute bops. Outside of these two, there are zero skips on this album for me. My one complaint is that the album is a little front loaded, the first six songs have varied production and are high energy pop songs, while the last six songs settle into a more chill mood and the production isn’t as exciting. I love her flow, she is rhythmic and melodic and she has bars. She jumps between rapping and singing effortlessly, and often blurs the line. Even when she is rapping, her songs always have song structure and a well crafted bridge and chorus. She easily has the highest count of good hooks on her choruses of any pop album of the year.

Chromatica is not my favorite pop album of the year, but I put it far ahead of Future Nostalgia for several reasons. Rain on Me is  more lyrically meaningful than anything on FN, and Alice is more catchy than anything on FN. The lyrics on Chromatica are not always particularly strong, but they are personal and distinctly Lady Gaga. Dua’s lyrics do not have a distinct voice, they are generic pop lyrics. Dua pays tribute to disco, but it is a superficial tribute like she is using the genre as a cheap prop or gimmick. Gaga pays tribute to 80’s house music and 90’s dance, and she really does a deep dive into the genre takes it all the way there with the vogueing anthem Babylon and the pulsing Alice which sounds straight out of a DDR soundtrack.

My problems with Harry are mostly the same as my problems with Dua. Generic pop lyrics like “Honey, I’d walk through fire for you. Just let me adore you. Oh, honey”. He is not a good vocalist.  No distinct voice to his lyrics. His fashion is 1,000x times more interesting than his music. On the rare occasion his music does have a more distinct voice, it was clearly borrowed from a more talented artist like that knockoff Bon Iver song. The only exception is Sign of the Times, which is an incredible song. But when you have a huge creative team and tons of label support, I guess sometimes you get handed a great song.

Profile picture
    fortheculture
    Topics:

All night, I’ll riot with you
    I know you got my back and you know I got you
    So come on, come on, come on
    Let’s get physical
    Lights out, follow the noise
    Baby, keep on dancing like you ain’t got a choice
    So come on, come on, come on
    Let’s get physical

generic line about staying up all night.

generic line about having each other’s back.

generic line about turning the lights out.

generic line about how you are a slave to the music/can’t stop dancing.

generic sexual innuendo.

She is really making a strong bid here for most cliches in one chorus in pop history.

Profile picture
    JennyLewisFan
    Topics:

Other than Eminem, what artists are officially through with the Grammys?

Profile picture
    5arteet
    Topics:

You calling Future Nostalgia cliche then saying “Cyber Sex” and “Bottom Bitch” are your favorite pop songs this year is so funny to me.

Profile picture
    fortheculture
    Topics:

You calling Future Nostalgia cliche then saying “Cyber Sex” and “Bottom Bitch” are your favorite pop songs this year is so funny to me.

I’m sorry, I wasn’t aware that songs about sexting and cam sex, or lesbian BDSM anthems were common tropes in pop music. Care to elaborate on who did it first?

Profile picture
    James Dean
    Topics:

generic line about staying up all night. generic line about having each other’s back. generic line about turning the lights out. generic line about how you are a slave to the music/can’t stop dancing. generic sexual innuendo. She is really making a strong bid here for most cliches in one chorus in pop history.

Its called songwriting. Not everyone has capabilities of taylor and adele in terms of songwriting.

Physical has decent lyrics but its vocal arrangement and production elevates the song to supreme level.

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

Other than Eminem, what artists are officially through with the Grammys?

I guess Kendrick, Bey, Gambino, Kanye and Jay are done with them too

Profile picture
    James Dean
    Topics:

not beyonce.

Profile picture
    fortheculture
    Topics:

Since when lyrics of Rain on Me is meaningful?  Rain on me has completely shitty lyrics. Only good thing about that song is its music video and ariana.

It’s coming down on me
    Water like misery
    It’s coming down on me
    I’m ready, rain on me
    I’d rather be dry, but at least I’m alive
    Rain on me, rain, rain
    Rain on me, rain, rain
    I’d rather be dry, but at least I’m alive
    Rain on me, rain, rain
    Rain on me
    Rain on me
    Mmm, oh yeah, baby
    Rain on me…

She and Ariana are singing about overcoming their past traumas and adversities (assault, concert bombing, death of Mac Miller, etc) and accepting the imperfections in their life. Rather than allowing the rain to leave them wet and miserable, they chooses to dance in it and be cleansed. A second reading is that Gaga has struggled with alcoholism, and that she would rather be sober, but as long as she is alive, and that she has hope for future.

Profile picture
    marcostm
    Topics:

Any gaga predictions? It looks like she is only getting 2 nominations in pop categories

as I expected, even before Chromatica was released.
    Rain On Me won’t enter the GF, let alone Music Video since we all know how random that category noms are, neither will the album. She’s been nominated 3 times in the GF in the last 2 years, including 2 SOTY noms, and they won’t put her to lose once again – given her Grammy history (0 wins), the album’s current state and straight competition with 3 bigger titles, commercially (Fine Line and Hollywood’s Bleeding) or critically (Future Nostalgia).

“Shallow” came in the right time: released just days before the 2019 deadline, backed by a blockbuster film and its award season wins in this meantime, meaning she was 100% fresh to be in the GF. Last year, though, the album was passed since it lost its momentum, just got into the Film categories + SOTY since (supposedly) it’s a songwriting award. No genre noms. It’s not comparable A Star Is Born, – later sustained by its mass appeal and that wonderful Oscar moment -, to Chromatica which was obvious it wouldn’t last before its release and its sound is far from Grammy GF noms. It’s no Random Access Memories. She’s not undeniable this time.

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

ROTY PREDICTIONS: “Circles” (Post Malone) “Sometimes” (H.E.R.) “The Box” (Roddy Ricch) “Egungun Be Careful” (Obesere & Zlatan) “Savage” (Remix) (Megan Thee Stallion featuring Beyoncé) “People, I’ve been sad” (Christine and the Queens) “Say So” (Doja Cat) “Johnny” (Sarah Jarosz)

LMFAO 😂😂. Are you Nigerian like me?

FYC:

Chromatica: Album of the Year, Best Pop Vocal Album.

Rain On Me: Song of the Year, Record of the Year, Best Pop Duo/Group Performance, Best Music Video.

Alice: Best Pop Solo Performance

Profile picture
    lilly98
    Topics:

Are they though? All of them submitted their last albums for consideration.

Profile picture
    Robinladen
    Topics:

If Beyoncé ever has a shot at AOTY again you know she’ll be sitting there front row.

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

Are they though? All of them submitted their last albums for consideration.

So did Eminem. That doesn’t mean anything since it’s up to their label, not them. Taylor also submitted her last two albums but didn’t attend either

I can only think of Frank Ocean who didn’t submit and that’s because he’s independent

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

If Beyoncé ever has a shot at AOTY again you know she’ll be sitting there front row.

But she won’t, so she’s done with them as I said

I’m pretty sure that she’ll be more focused on winning an Emmy or something rather than AOTY. Sis is probably tired at this point

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 931 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 20)’ is closed to new replies.