Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 22)

2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 22)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 691 through 705 (of 971 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
ciguanaba
Boz
PSALMS🌕
  • Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

I think we can all agree that this album is a lock for an AOTY nom now. The question is which single will Taylor push in ROTY and SOTY. I think “the last great american dynasty” is her best chance at getting a SOTY win but “exile” is her best chance at getting both noms, so we’ll see which one she picks.

Not trying to be rude but she’s not winning SOTY without a hit single.

Profile picture
    supermodelslegs
    Topics:

I wonder if cardigan could get some BMV love?

Profile picture
    Rich Thot
    Topics:

The album could end up underperforming and quickly falling down the charts, with a 84-86 on MC (which isn’t much nowadays), no hit singles, and without many talking about the album outside of her fan base. All those things could reasonably happen. And that would probably sink the big time chances of a big star like Swift. Especially since she just had a competing album last year. It isn’t assured anything yet, not even nods, though she shouldn’t have an much of issue getting a PVA nod. Let’s give it a couple weeks at least Swifties. But let my biases be known. Though I think this is a solid record, already right behind Red and 1989 as my favorite Swift records, I will be actively rooting against it. This isn’t anywhere near special or distinct or revelatory, just a good, stripped down TS album. She didn’t even fully commit to the aesthetic. And we’ve had enough of her at the Grammys.

Profile picture
    fortheculture
    Topics:

If I were a Pitchfork critic I would give Folklore a solid 7.8.

So basically Taylor called up Jack Antanoff and said “I need to have my Norman Fucking Rockwell moment”, and they half way delivered. Some of the lyricism and melodies are very pretty. All of these songs are good but none of them blew me away. There is no song poppy enough to become a chart smash, and there is no song beautiful enough to become an indie classic.

Sometimes I am able to sink into the somber mood of this album, but then she makes some childish rhyme with a bubble gum pop cadence and it takes me out of the moment and completely reminds of which artist I am listening to. She has certain pop impulses that she just wasn’t able to shed and that break the mood of the album for me. I don’t think Folklore will have a lot of replay value for me, outside of a few songs like Mirrorball, Cardigan, and Seven.

For sad/chill vibes indie songstress type albums this year,  Phoebe Bridgers’ Punisher is my favorite by miles.

This album walks a line between maturity and accessibility that makes it very baity for both critics and Grammy voters. I do see the Metacritic score settling in the high 80’s, an over-performance IMO. I could see this album winning pop-vocal since Taylor is a huge star, it’s probably better than the other contending albums, and it’s also in a different lane while all the bubble gum albums will split votes.

As for her odds in AOTY, I have no idea what is going to happen but I think the most likely scenario is that she gets nominated but loses, stealing votes from Fiona and helping The Weeknd.

2nd most likely scenario is that this album falls off the charts quickly and the panel decides to snub her to avoid the backlash of giving her a third win.

3rd most likely scenario is that the album wins AOTY. I am really hoping this does not happen, the album is not strong enough to be an AOTY winner let alone a third time AOTY winner.

Profile picture
    classicalandpop
    Topics:

If I were a Pitchfork critic I would give Folklore a solid 7.8.

So basically Taylor called up Jack Antanoff and said “I need to have my Norman Fucking Rockwell moment”, and they half way delivered. Some of the lyricism and melodies are very pretty. All of these songs are good but none of them blew me away. There is no song poppy enough to become a chart smash, and there is no song beautiful enough to become an indie classic.

Sometimes I am able to sink into the somber mood of this album, but then she makes some childish rhyme with a bubble gum pop cadence and it takes me out of the moment and completely reminds of which artist I am listening to. She has certain pop impulses that she just wasn’t able to shed and that break the mood of the album for me. I don’t think Folklore will have a lot of replay value for me, outside of a few songs like Mirrorball, Cardigan, and Seven.

For sad/chill vibes indie songstress type albums this year, Phoebe Bridgers’ Punisher is my favorite by miles.

This album walks a line between maturity and accessibility that makes it very baity for both critics and Grammy voters. I do see the Metacritic score settling in the high 80’s, an over-performance IMO. I could see this album winning pop-vocal since Taylor is a huge star, it’s probably better than the other contending albums, and it’s also in a different lane while all the bubble gum albums will split votes.

As for her odds in AOTY, I have no idea what is going to happen but I think the most likely scenario is that she gets nominated but loses, stealing votes from Fiona and helping The Weeknd.

2nd most likely scenario is that this album falls off the charts quickly and the panel decides to snub her to avoid the backlash of giving her a third win.

3rd most likely scenario is that the album wins AOTY. I am really hoping this does not happen, the album is not strong enough to be an AOTY winner let alone a third time AOTY winner.

Perfect synopsis. But then again I felt the same way when I heard lover for the first time. Folklore might eventually grow on me, like lover did. Folklore is very similar to Norman f Rockwell. Not too pop radio friendly.

Profile picture
    Zello
    Topics:

Folklore is an ok album, it’s really not worth going back to.. the album is kind of boring!

Pop Vocal Album Nod is all it deserves…

Profile picture
    Zello
    Topics:

Perfect synopsis. But then again I felt the same way when I heard lover for the first time. Folklore might eventually grow on me, like lover did. Folklore is very similar to Norman f Rockwell. Not too pop radio friendly.

but the difference is, NFR is better than folklore and deserved it’s AOTY nod

Profile picture
    Soltseven
    Topics:

but the difference is, NFR is better than folklore and deserved it’s AOTY nod

Deserved to win it!

Profile picture
    ScottyDog
    Topics:

What’s everyone’s choices so far for AOTY? Just to get a sense of tastes on this thread?

For me:

Brittany Howard – Jaime
    fka Twigs – MAGDALENE
    HAIM – Women in Music Pt. 3
    The Highwomen – The Highwomen
    Jessie Ware – What’s Your Pleasure?
    Perfume Genius – Set My Heart On Fire Immediately
    Phoebe Bridgers – Punisher
    Taylor Swift – folklore

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Soltseven
    Topics:

wwafa, wdwg? deserved its AOTY win imo.

I love it as well and it was a good winner.

However, NFR feels timeless to me. Would’ve been my choice, with Billie as the runner up.

Profile picture
    Rich Thot
    Topics:

Ariana was my favorite of the bunch this year, followed by Lana. But I don’t begrudge Billie’s win. I didn’t love any of the nominees and thought it was a fairly weak year for music. The sweep was too much though.

What’s everyone’s choices so far for AOTY?

Wish nominees?

1. Fetch the Bolt Cutters- Fiona Apple
    2. Set My Heart On Fire Immediately- Perfume Genius
    3. Saint Cloud- Waxahatchee
    4. Run the Jewels- Run the Jewels 4
    5. Women In Music Part lll- Haim
    6. Descendants of Cain- Ka
    7. What’s Your Pleasure- Jessie Ware
    8. Punisher- Phoebe Bridgers/Gaslighter- The Chicks

Profile picture
    24fanatic
    Topics:

In terms of Taylor, I say let’s wait a week or two before making any predictions. It’s important to see what kind of impact an album will have before claiming it’s a lock for any category… because it’s not.

Taylor is already viewed as an “over-awarded artist” and trust me, the Grammys have no desire to give her any more. They don’t owe her anything.

To be fair to her though, the Recording Academy does like it when an artist steps outside their comfort zone and does something different. That was the only way Swift was going to be able to be come back into the conversation for new Grammy love.

Once again, I say let’s wait and see the album’s impact. If it turns out to be one of the biggest albums of the year, then yes, I see her getting back into the General Field. If not… this might not even get a single nomination.

Profile picture
    Madson Melo
    Topics:

I was wondering why people are so high on the ”The Highwomen” over ”Gaslighter”.

The first has ”less” critical acclaim, was released almost one year ago and while I know the Grammys recently loved Brandi and, to a lesser extend, Maren, they are no The Chicks. I mean, they have 10+ Grammys, including AOTY/SOTY/ROTY in a comeback album highly acclaimed. I really don’t see how the former are higher for an AOTY nom, but would love to know.

Profile picture
    Rich Thot
    Topics:

I was wondering why people are so high on the ”The Highwomen” over ”Gaslighter”. The first has ”less” critical acclaim, was released almost one year ago and while I know the Grammys recently loved Brandi and, to a lesser extend, Maren, they are no The Chicks. I mean, they have 10+ Grammys, including AOTY/SOTY/ROTY in a comeback album highly acclaimed. I really don’t see how the former are higher for an AOTY nom, but would love to know.

I’m iffy on both of their chances. But I think people mostly look at Brandi’s recent Grammy success.

Viewing 15 posts - 691 through 705 (of 971 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 22)’ is closed to new replies.