Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 5)

2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 610 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Boz
Nas
Monsoon
  • Profile picture
    kanil032
    Topics:

Lady Gaga deserved AOTY twice.

Delusional stan… Lady gaga deserved once for ASIB. But billie deserved it more..

Gaga never gonna win AOTY for stupid love  childish album….

Profile picture
    kanil032
    Topics:

ASIB was great but somehow forgettable .. But other than this, what gaga do is put some random dance pop singles into a CD and calls it an album…

She always missed point of what an actual album should be …..

Profile picture
    alex00g2
    Topics:

I don’t want to inflame the discussion about race at the Grammys, but here are the last 5 years of AOTY winners:

2016 Taylor Swift – 1989
    2017 Adele – 25
    2018 Bruno Mars – 24K Magic
    2019 Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour
    2020 Billie Eilish  – WWAFA,WDWG

In the last 5 years there have been 3x white pop female AOTY winners – arguably 4 out of 5 including Kacey who has strong support from pop fans.

Perhaps the committee and/or voters will think it’s time for a change, but it’s difficult to predict how that might be reflected in the nominations and eventual winner.

Is Bruno due to release another album?

Profile picture
    Daniel Glaister
    Topics:

Golden Hour over Black Panther & Invasion of Privacy… Get real!

clearly you never bothered to listen to golden hour because the only other nominee on its level was dirty computer, which since you didn’t mean i’m guessing you didn’t listen to either. don’t try and make judgements on albums you haven’t listened to.

Profile picture
    m844
    Topics:

I don’t want to inflame the discussion about race at the Grammys, but here are the last 5 years of AOTY winners: 2016 Taylor Swift – 1989 2017 Adele – 25 2018 Bruno Mars – 24K Magic 2019 Kacey Musgraves – Golden Hour 2020 Billie Eilish – WWAFA,WDWG In the last 5 years there have been 3x white pop female AOTY winners – arguably 4 out of 5 including Kacey who has strong support from pop fans. Perhaps the committee and/or voters will think it’s time for a change, but it’s difficult to predict how that might be reflected in the nominations and eventual winner.

You’re exactly right, and I’ve noticed this as well. 6 out of the last 11 Album of the Year Grammy winners were solo white female artists: 2 to Taylor Swift, 2 to Adele, 1 to Kacey Musgraves, and 1 to Billie Eilish. That’s how I knew Kacey Musgraves and Billie Eilish were going to win the last 2 ceremonies, because they’re solo white female artists who were running very strong in the odds up against minority artists. As Drake and so many black artists have pointed out, the Grammys have, in recent years, completely overlooked rap, hip hop, and black artists in general in the Album of the Year category.

It’s fascinating to me that white women have no problems winning the top Grammy award, but they have persistent problems winning the top award “Entertainer of the Year” at the two country music awards: CMA and ACM awards. There, pretty much all of the singers are white, so the issue becomes the overwhelming preference for the male singers. They would rather give Garth Brooks a 7th CMA EOTY award than Carrie Underwood her 1st CMA EOTY award.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

but I think 2x winner Dua Lipa is probably making music more up the Grammy’s taste than Post Malone.

One of the categories Dua won is a category Post would most likely have beat her in had he been eligible.

The other was for a collaboration with Diplo and Mark Ronson in a non-competitive category.

Don’t forget that “Better Now” also edged “New Rules” out for a nomination in Pop Solo Performance.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Not saying Dua Lipa won’t win smth. She might. She’s had a great year. But her grammy wins were really not competitive. And let’s not forget that Post Malone made it in Pop Solo with Better Now and she missed with “New Rules”.

Profile picture
    JustGuy89
    Topics:

I think miss Dua is the frontrunner for Pop Vocal album.

Profile picture
    BICTH
    Topics:

a sudden bizarre thought, can renee compete for traditional pop album with the judy soundtrack?

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

Yeh but Kendrick had a superior album, not only it was the most acclaimed among the ones nominated (91 MC), but it was largely named the best album of the year, y’all tend to sit on that album damn way too much. Good Kid, Maad City was as deserving as TPAB and DAMN, Daft Punk weren’t bad winners but next to Kendrick they were undeserving.

I don’t sit on GKMC, it’s literally in my top 5 albums of the 2010’s (TPAB is #1) while Kendrick himself is by far my favorite artist of the decade

But Daft Punk simply hit all the boxes that year. They’re game changing artists, already had 19 years of career at the time, their album had a 87 on MC, while Get Lucky was a massive hit, as well as the most acclaimed song of the decade. I knew RAM would win AOTY with ease when I listened to the first song. It was so obvious

There’s not a single artist I’m rooting for harder than Kendrick but this win in particular doesn’t bother me at all. The real robbery that night was BNA and all the hip-hop categories Macklemore stole before fading into irrelevancy

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

You’re exactly right, and I’ve noticed this as well. 6 out of the last 11 Album of the Year Grammy winners were solo white female artists: 2 to Taylor Swift, 2 to Adele, 1 to Kacey Musgraves, and 1 to Billie Eilish.

This is why I always laugh when some people try to push the narrative that white female artists are somehow mistreated by the Grammys as if winning the top categories was ever a struggle for them compared to black artists. I’ve deadass seen some stans trying to make Taylor Swift a victim because she was snubbed for her last two albums, as if she didn’t win two AOTY in 6 years. Pure clownery

Profile picture
    Daniel Glaister
    Topics:

Not saying Dua Lipa won’t win smth. She might. She’s had a great year. But her grammy wins were really not competitive. And let’s not forget that Post Malone made it in Pop Solo with Better Now and she missed with “New Rules”.

but she missed with “new rules (live)”. i know being a live track doesn’t hinder a nomination (even havana live was nominated the same year) but obviously the studio version of new rules would’ve stood a better chance

Profile picture
    Monsoon
    Topics:

This is why I always laugh when some people try to push the narrative that white female artists are somehow mistreated by the Grammys as if winning the top categories was ever a struggle for them compared to black artists. I’ve deadass seen some stans trying to make Taylor Swift a victim because she was snubbed for her last two albums, as if she didn’t win two AOTY in 6 years. Pure clownery

Beyoncé has won 20+ Grammys (including a SOTY award) but is made a victim because she hasn’t won AOTY…

At the end of the day, it’s not that deep. These artists are privileged to have even one trophy. Let alone 10-20.

“you look like your picture, thank god.”

Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

Beyoncé has won 20+ Grammys (including a SOTY award) but is made a victim because she hasn’t won AOTY…

At the end of the day, it’s not that deep. These artists are privileged to have even one trophy. Let alone 10-20.

My post was about the “top awards”. I’m tired of people bringing up Bey/Kanye/Kendrick etc having zillion of rnb/rap awards. That’s literally completely besides the point

Giving them all the genre awards (as long as no white artist is nominated of course) to shut them up while constantly favoring their white peers in the GF is not what I call respect but ok

The negative press is slowly killing this award show anyway

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Seven.
    Profile picture
    Seven
    Topics:

Gambino’s album debuted at #13. He’s out of the convo and obviously doesn’t care

He needs to focus on Atlanta

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 610 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.