Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 5)

2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 601 through 610 (of 610 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Boz
Nas
Monsoon
  • Profile picture
    PoweR
    Topics:

The Weeknd is #1 in his second week because he had three songs tacked on to After Hours + bundles & merchandise were counted. I posted that above.

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

Dua Lipa did not have those factors. And an artist with almost 60 million monthly listeners on Spotify is NOT niche and will never be. Facts over feelings.

They are listening to Don’t Start Now, not the album. Don’t Start Now is one of the biggest pop songs of the year. But Future Nostalgia is not loved by the general public like Fine Line or Circles. Future Nostalgia is loved by critics and music circles alike, the ones singing it’s praise. Again for example, Lorde and Carly Rae Jepsen we’re big for a huge singles (Royals and Call Me Maybe) and smaller ones. Yet their next releases, Emotion and Melodrama, were not adored by the general public, just with critics and music circles. They are both huge popstars, yet they have a niche album. Currently Dua Lipa is having the same thing, except she has a big song on the album. Her album and singles aren’t charging as well, her streams aren’t as big as her contemporaries, and she didn’t debut in many places at number one. Her album is niche, yet being a huge popstar. Do I have to explain it you even more?

albums: græ, how i’m feeling now, future nostalgia, starmaker, sawayama, the slow rush, after hours, suddenly, fetch the bolt cutters, 2017-2019, the new abnormal, circles, heavenly to a tortured mind

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

The Weeknd is #1 in his second week because he had three songs tacked on to After Hours + bundles & merchandise were counted. I posted that above.

He is still number one even with 3 new songs, while Dua Lipa can’t even release an album with months of promotion. You just helped my point.

albums: græ, how i’m feeling now, future nostalgia, starmaker, sawayama, the slow rush, after hours, suddenly, fetch the bolt cutters, 2017-2019, the new abnormal, circles, heavenly to a tortured mind

Profile picture
    PleaseFeedTheTroll
    Topics:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/chart-beat/9351457/the-weeknd-after-hours-no-1-billboard-200-chart

Dua Lipa did not have those factors.

And an artist with almost 60 million monthly listeners on Spotify is NOT niche and will never be, no matter how y’all flip it. Facts over feelings.

You can remove all sales for The Weeknd, and he still has higher activity than her by a nice margin with just streaming. Even worse, she is even behind a Uzi Vert album that has been out for a month already. An album by a pop star that they market for months and has obscene amounts of airplay payola oughta not being opening at number four with that amount behind projects that are not new. Facts over feelings

Profile picture
    PoweR
    Topics:

They are listening to Don’t Start Now, not the album. Don’t Start Now is one of the biggest pop songs of the year. But Future Nostalgia is not loved by the general public like Fine Line or Circles. Future Nostalgia is loved by critics and music circles alike, the ones singing it’s praise. Again for example, Lorde and Carly Rae Jepsen we’re big for a huge singles (Royals and Call Me Maybe) and smaller ones. Yet their next releases, Emotion and Melodrama, were not adored by the general public, just with critics and music circles. They are both huge popstars, yet they have a niche album. Currently Dua Lipa is having the same thing, except she has a big song on the album. Her album and singles aren’t charging as well, her streams aren’t as big as her contemporaries, and she didn’t debut in many places at number one. Her album is niche, yet being a huge popstar. Do I have to explain it you even more?

She has seven songs from her album in the top 10 songs of her most popular songs right now. People are listening to the album. So, you’re wrong.

Lorde released her album with a shaky first single that was nowhere near as big as “Royals” or even “Team.” Her second went nowhere. Carly Rae Jepsen never established herself outside of “Call Me Maybe.” She never had a chance, and she is most certainly no Dua Lipa at this point. Wrong again.

Dua Lipa is one of the most streamed artists right now. Like I said, almost 60m listeners monthly on Spotify. So, wrong… again.

You made a shitty comparison between her album and The Weeknd & 5SOS, and I stated why their second weeks were so high.

Future Nostalgia is no one’s “niche” but you and a couple of others trying to find an excuse why her sales are so low instead of just looking at the actual FACTS. It’s a mainstream album with pop hits on it.

And just because you lack a fanbase doesn’t make you “niche” either.

Profile picture
    PoweR
    Topics:

You can remove all sales for The Weeknd, and he still has higher activity than her by a nice margin with just streaming. Even worse, she is even behind a Uzi Vert album that has been out for a month already. An album by a pop star that they market for months and has obscene amounts of airplay payola oughta not being opening at number four with that amount behind projects that are not new. Facts over feelings

You edited your posted four times already, so I’m getting “feelings over facts” from you. I don’t expect you to be objective, just based on your posts throughout this thread and your username.

The Weeknd’s second week was definitely helped majorly by three factors stated in that Billboard article and would have been closer with Dua Lipa without those factors. But The Weeknd has been around longer and is more established than that girl, so there’s no surprise there.

Rap albums have proven to do well on streaming, which keeps them afloat for awhile. So, not sure what that has to do with Dua Lipa being a “niche” artist, though.

Profile picture
    PleaseFeedTheTroll
    Topics:

You edited your posted four times already, so I’m getting “feelings over facts” from you. I don’t expect you to be objective, just based on your posts throughout this thread and your username.

The Weeknd’s second week was definitely helped majorly by three factors stated in that Billboard article and would have been closer with Dua Lipa without those factors. But The Weeknd has been around longer and is more established than that girl, so there’s no surprise there.

Rap albums have proven to do well on streaming, which keeps them afloat for awhile. So, not sure what that has to do with Dua Lipa being a “niche” artist, though.

I edited the post to ensure that it is grammatically correct. Uh, no. None of the three songs he added are amongst the top streaming songs from the album. They added ten thousand units together at best. You subtract that from the 90,000 streaming units, and that is still 80,000. That is still bigger than her sales plus streaming. That is objectivity.

“Rap albums have proven to perform well on streaming.” Yeah, but it is not as if Ariana Grande, Billie Eilish, Lizzo and Khalid are not pop stars with great streaming numbers for there most recent projects. Even Halsey opened way better on streaming with her newest project. None of that explains why her project activity is that terrible, especially for a “superstar.” (Lil Uzi Vert is also on his second album by the way, but he is putting up some of the biggest numbers in the business.

Alright, then where is supposed to be a superstar? Her sales in America are shitty. Her streaming numbers in America are shitty. They even posted the follow up activity to recent Best New Artists winners, and hers is amongst the lowest amongst everyone. There is objectivity. Is airplay supposed to be what makes her a superstar? That is an approximation at best, and they buy airplay. Seriously, what is it?

You are right that she is not niche in that she has enormous marketing and a huge push by corporations; however, even with all of that her sales and her streams are that of a niche artist. She might be bigger in Europe or something, but she damn sure is not the superstar writers and Twitter Stans have tried to make her out to be.

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

She has seven songs from her album in the top 10 songs of her most popular songs right now. People are listening to the album. So, you’re wrong. Lorde released her album with a shaky first single that was nowhere near as big as “Royals” or even “Team.” Her second went nowhere. Carly Rae Jepsen never established herself outside of “Call Me Maybe.” She never had a chance, and she is most certainly no Dua Lipa at this point. Wrong again. Dua Lipa is one of the most streamed artists right now. Like I said, almost 60m listeners monthly on Spotify. So, wrong… again. You made a shitty comparison between her album and The Weeknd & 5SOS, and I stated why their second weeks were so high. Future Nostalgia is no one’s “niche” but you and a couple of others trying to find an excuse why her sales are so low instead of just looking at the actual FACTS. It’s a mainstream album with pop hits on it. And just because you lack a fanbase doesn’t make you “niche” either.

1. She probably has 7 songs because they came out a week ago, not because they are more “popular” than her older material. And I would love to see how much that, New Rules, IDGAF, and One Kiss has been streamed then anything on Future Nostalgia. Physical literally charted at #60.

2. Lorde and Carly Rae Jepsen have huge songs of the early 2010s, with small singles here and there. Dua Lipa can’t even get a number one single. And Carly Rae Jepsen releases Good Time with Owl City that peaked at #8, so your point is?

3. You’re misinterpreting what I am saying. She is a mainstream pop artist. Not as big as Ariana or Billie, but nonetheless a pop artist.

4. I am confused why you stance on her chart success. You just explained that both 5SOS and The Weeknd’s Album has a huge great weeks for their albums, while Dua’s was average for her standards. Yet your whole argument is based on how Future Nostalgia is not a niche album.

5. Then you claim that she has no fanbase, yet she has 60 million Spotify listeners.

6. The whole niche discussion has nothing to do with me trying to find a reason why her sales are low. Her sales are low period. I’m saying that I’m not hearing any discussion about her album except for music circles and critics. Her sales are low. The only thing really going for her right now is Don’t Start Now is a huge hit. She could definitely bounce back with Physical and Break My Heart. Once that and her album sales keeps going, then Future Nostalgia is not a “niche album”.

Profile picture
    ELIAS
    Topics:

To dumb it down for you because you clearly don’t understand, Dua Lipa is a semi- mainstream pop artist, yet Future Nostalgia is a niche pop album.

Profile picture
    Paul Sheehan
    Topics:

Let’s continue the conversation in Part 6.

Viewing 10 posts - 601 through 610 (of 610 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Awards Predictions (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.