Home Forums Music 2021 GRAMMY Best New Artist Contenders (Part 1)

2021 GRAMMY Best New Artist Contenders (Part 1)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 171 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
nxddyfs
Agee
ELIAS✨
  • Profile picture
    cc
    Topics:

Nowhere, but given that Best New Artist is the category where the Grammy’s try to crown the “future superstars” most often, I don’t see it happening. Has it ever happened by the way? I remember a lot of people predicted XXXTENTACION for that same reason, and he was unarguably bigger than Pop Smoke.

I get what you’re saying with the first sentence, but XXXTentacion’s entire career was full with controversy and abuse allegations. Not to mention despite both being rappers, they’re not two people I’d ever really compare in terms of artistry, and appeal. They would have never nominated him, dead or alive, he was too….. much, in every way. Pop Smoke is mourned and loved by the gp, while everyone but teenagers and misogynists were openly celebrating his death.

Cenizas - Nicolás Jaar

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    cc
    Topics:

Actually, I also just remembered that he was even rejected from being honored in their “in memoriam” video montage. Yeah that was a terrible comparison.

Cenizas - Nicolás Jaar

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

Best New Artist is about rewarding the best new artist of that Grammy year. If it was awarding future superstars then Esperanza Spaulding wouldn’t have won over the 4 superstars that she was up against.

Nevertheless, dead or alive Pop Smoke never stood a chance. He has a shot at getting a nod in Rap though with Dior

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Agee
    Topics:

Honey, Pop Smoke died in February, which was after the January telecast of the Grammy Awards.  That’s why he was NOT included in the “in memoriam.”

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    treacherous
    Topics:

I think caa3 is talking about XXXTentacion, not Pop Smoke.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    rue
    Topics:

Anyways I really hope to see Conan and Rina here even though they both could get snubbed. Their albums are both some of the best of the year so far.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Agee
    Topics:

Keep dreaming!  Blackpink, Conan Gray, and Rina Sawayama are NOT happening in Best New Artist.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    nxddyfs
    Topics:

This is what i have so far

– Doja Cat
    – Megan Thee Stallion
    – Conan Gray
    – Rina Sawayama
    – Saint Jhn
    – Summer Walker
    – Gaby Barrett
    – King Princess

Alt: Alec Benjamin, Jay Electronica,
    Jack Harlow, Tones and I.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    flop
    Topics:

I’m not sure if this is just a coincidence but I’ve noticed that the Recording Academy has recently been promoting and “spotlighting” new acts long before BNA nominations are announced… so there are often a few surprise noms that are implicitly hinted at. For example, Yola gets a Grammy interview in July 2019 and a “spotlight Saturday” in October 2019, just like Tank And The Bangas get a Grammy interview in September 2018 and an exclusive Grammy performance in October 2016, all before the nominations are announced in November 2019. Clearly none of these were expected and were purely surprise noms.

Republic Records have teamed with Grammys for the spotlight Saturdays this year and I think personally any of these following artists could bag a surprise nom this year like the aforementioned did last year:

• Benee
    • Conan Gray
    • Kiana Ledé
    • Jeremy Zucker
    • Ava Max

(adapted from this Grammy article and this Billboard article)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

I’m not sure if this is just a coincidence but I’ve noticed that the Recording Academy has recently been promoting and “spotlighting” new acts long before BNA nominations are announced… so there are often a few surprise noms that are implicitly hinted at. For example, Yola gets a Grammy interview in July 2019 and a “spotlight Saturday” in October 2019, just like Tank And The Bangas get a Grammy interview in September 2018 and an exclusive Grammy performance in October 2016, all before the nominations are announced in November 2019. Clearly none of these were expected and were purely surprise noms.

Republic Records have teamed with Grammys for the spotlight Saturdays this year and I think personally any of these following artists could bag a surprise nom this year like the aforementioned did last year:

• Benee
    • Conan Gray
    • Kiana Ledé
    • Jeremy Zucker
    • Ava Max

(adapted from this Grammy article and this Billboard article)

Out of these Kiana Ledé has the better shot. Conan and Benee could also happen.

I feel like Ava Max is too poppy.

FYC - Lil Nas X
    MONTERO (Call Me By Your Name) - ROTY, SOTY, Best Pop Solo Perf., Best Music Video
    INDUSTRY BABY - Best Melodic Rap Perf., Best Rap Song
    MONTERO - AOTY, Best Pop Vocal Album

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Cameron
    Topics:

R&B voters might use their all for Summer rather than Megan tho.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    arodfan
    Topics:

Is Matt Maeson eligible? I know he didn’t submit last year, so that’s a good sign. “Hallucinogenics” is really blowing up on the rock charts, his album has received a lot of praise in the alternative community, and he’s got a small but passionate following. If he’s eligible, does he have a chance at a BNA nomination?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    cah
    Topics:

So, who’s a lock currently?

Megan Thee Stallion
    Doja Cat
    Summer Walker

???

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    liloozybert
    Topics:

BNA:

Conan Gray

Doja Cat

King Princess

Megan Thee Stallion

Morgan Wallen

Phoebe Bridgers

Roddy Ricch

Summer Walker

9-16

Alec Benjamin

beabadoobee

Benee

Don Toliver

Gabby Barrett

Pop Smoke

Rina Sawayama

Sam Fender

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 171 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.