Home Forums Music 2021 GRAMMY Pop Field Predictions (Part 2)

2021 GRAMMY Pop Field Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 516 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
M
Just for fun
Darren
  • Profile picture
    cah
    Topics:

Wouldn’t BEck submit in Alternative?

Profile picture
    nxddyfs
    Topics:

Omg Beck is back?? 💀

Watch them give him the whole GF and some of the Pop Field

Profile picture
    nxddyfs
    Topics:

Wouldn’t BEck submit in Alternative?

He could but the committee could also place him in Pop like they did last time, i believe.

Profile picture
    AwardsBait3818
    Topics:

He could but the committee could also place him in Pop like they did last time, i believe.

He just submitted a song to the Pop field, so far they’ve let him submit his albums to Alternative.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    JJS5056
    Topics:

I truly do NOT understand why Pop is treated so differently than other genre categories and why it is that an artist like The Weeknd is going to be able to submit his biggest hit to BPS (Blinding Lights), a collab with an artist whose most likely “box” is ‘rap’  to BPD/G (In Your Eyes ft. Doja Cat), and still have their album considered Urban Contemporary/R&B, and a chance for at least 1 other song entered into the R&B field.

How does that NOT indicate that The Weeknd completed a POP album? Yet, Chromatica has no chance to submit as a D/E Album in the same way that ARTPOP and BTW were unable to submit any songs into D/E, or Joanne/ASIB any songs to Country. I’m not talking about whether noms or wins would be deserved in any of these cases, just trying to understand why certain artists can submit 2 of their biggest hits – in a time when eras are limited 4 singles max – into the Pop field and still compete in Urban Contemporary Album with deep cuts in the R&B field, while others are forced under BPVA and the Pop genre.

Pop as it is treated by the Grammys is NOT synonymous with “popular” as someone alluded to. If that were the case, it would be redundant with the GF and songs submitted to Rock/Dance/Rap/R&B wouldn’t get tossed to Pop if there wasn’t a defined sound the Academy is considering. Every genre field needs a committee for consistency and transparency, and Pop needs to be updated to include at minimum ‘Best Pop Song.’

Meanwhile, as artists continue to break/blend genres, and the streaming era promotes album tracks charting due the size of fanbases/amount of hype vs. quality of the music/penetration into markets, rules need to be considered surrounding limiting artists to compete under 1 singular genre, submitting only official singles, and separating Duo/Group from Colllaborations as featured remixes will continue to gain popularity as a way of boosting streams.

Profile picture
    MrOceanBlueEyes
    Topics:

Also saying Billie isn’t a huge contendor in the pop categories when she won Pop vocal album over Ariana, Taylor, Beyonce and Ed Sheeran( 4 of the biggest stars of the decade) can easily be disproven.

They like her but they also like Finneas more and it clearly shows with his sweep this year the only category he wasn’t eligible was the one Billie lost.

Beyoncé and Taylor got clearly named check for noms. Ed Sheeran got lucky. Ariana won a year before and they rarely do repeats in pop album.

Billie had the biggest album and was the most relevant artist at the time which is clearly an indicator of who wins.

I wouldn’t be surprised if she misses pop solo. Visual Media is her best bet given the fact that is a songwriting award.

As I see it this year:

1. Future Nostalgia
    2. Hollywood’s Bleeding
    3. Fine Line
    4. Chromatica
    5. Either Halsey, Selena or Camila in that order unless someone else releases something.

Pop Solo:

1. Circles
    2. Blinding Lights
    3. Don’t Start Now
    4. Adore You
    5. IDK, Say So assuming she submits the solo version, Stupid Love if they like Chromatica, Adele’s lead single assuming it comes out before the deadline, Lose You To Love Me maybe?, Billie if she gets lucky and they check her.

Pop Duo:

1. Memories
    2. The Other Side
    3. Intentions/Stuck With U
    4. Rain On Me
    5. IDK I could barely come up with those.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    cah
    Topics:

I truly do NOT understand why Pop is treated so differently than other genre categories and why it is that an artist like The Weeknd is going to be able to submit his biggest hit to BPS (Blinding Lights), a collab with an artist whose most likely “box” is ‘rap’ to BPD/G (In Your Eyes ft. Doja Cat), and still have their album considered Urban Contemporary/R&B, and a chance for at least 1 other song entered into the R&B field.

How does that NOT indicate that The Weeknd completed a POP album? Yet, Chromatica has no chance to submit as a D/E Album in the same way that ARTPOP and BTW were unable to submit any songs into D/E, or Joanne/ASIB any songs to Country. I’m not talking about whether noms or wins would be deserved in any of these cases, just trying to understand why certain artists can submit 2 of their biggest hits – in a time when eras are limited 4 singles max – into the Pop field and still compete in Urban Contemporary Album with deep cuts in the R&B field, while others are forced under BPVA and the Pop genre.

Pop as it is treated by the Grammys is NOT synonymous with “popular” as someone alluded to. If that were the case, it would be redundant with the GF and songs submitted to Rock/Dance/Rap/R&B wouldn’t get tossed to Pop if there wasn’t a defined sound the Academy is considering. Every genre field needs a committee for consistency and transparency, and Pop needs to be updated to include at minimum ‘Best Pop Song.’

Meanwhile, as artists continue to break/blend genres, and the streaming era promotes album tracks charting due the size of fanbases/amount of hype vs. quality of the music/penetration into markets, rules need to be considered surrounding limiting artists to compete under 1 singular genre, submitting only official singles, and separating Duo/Group from Colllaborations as featured remixes will continue to gain popularity as a way of boosting streams.

Pop field is treated as a place to toss everything that is blocked by other fields… the Academy should’ve set a committee for pop long ago.

“and separating Duo/Group from Colllaborations as featured remixes will continue to gain popularity as a way of boosting streams.”

I agree, there should be 2 categories.

Profile picture
    rue
    Topics:

Dedicated Side B coming for BPVA!

FYC:

folklore: AOTY, BPVA
    cardigan: SOTY
    exile: BPDGP

Don't Start Now: ROTY, BPSP

Ungodly Hour: BPR&BA
    Do It: BR&BS
    Wonder What She Thinks Of Me: BTR&BP

Phoebe Bridgers: BNA
    Punisher: Alt. A
    Kyoto: BRS, BRP

Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

After Hours should compete in Pop Vocal. That’s a pop album. “Urban Contemporary” my ass.

I said that months ago that this is his Poppiest effort yet in my opinion but I still think he should submit to Urban Contemporary its a safer win. If he gets moved then so be it he’ll still get the nod.

Profile picture
    Deemy
    Topics:

If Colors went Alternative then Hyperspace probably will as well.

Hyperspace is a Pop album it should compete in BPVA. There’s nothing alternative about it.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

I think “Everything I Wanted” will get into Song. Record is more up in the air and I could see them passing over her in that category since she just won it last year. But the committee loves rewarding songs like that with powerful lyrics, unique scenarios, and evocative storytelling.

Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

Everything I Wanted isn’t undeniable. I think she can get in but she’s definitely not winning. That category is and will be a three-way race between Blinding Lights, Don’t Start Now, and Circles.

You’re hyping Dua up way too much. “Blinding Lights” and “Circles” are definitely the frontrunners, but Billie will win before she does.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

I think “Everything I Wanted” will get into Song. Record is more up in the air and I could see them passing over her in that category since she just won it last year. But the committee loves rewarding songs like that with powerful lyrics, unique scenarios, and evocative storytelling.

At the risk of Billie easily winning SOTY again in such a weak year? I doubt it. Safe voters who don’t wanna vote for The Weeknd would love to have a ballad like that to vote for.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 516 total)

The topic ‘2021 GRAMMY Pop Field Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.