Home Forums Music 2021 GRAMMY Pop Field Predictions (Part 4)

2021 GRAMMY Pop Field Predictions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 526 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
11 hours ago
replies
views
users
Boz
Regina
Darren
  • Profile picture
    grandeswiftknowles
    Topics:

Joanne won BPSP because of the ASIB hype. Let’s keep it real here. Had ASIB not come out that year, that grammy would have been Ariana, or more likely, Camilas.

As for BPDG, right now there isn’t a clear frontrunner. Most winners of BPDG are at least moderate hits. So because of that, I have a problem with declaring Exile the winner. Currently, it’s clearly between Rain On Me and Memories. Memories is quite baity and is more successful. However, Maroon 5 haven’t gotten a grammy since 2008. On the contrary, Rain On Me is by two artist who have both gotten a Grammy in the past 2 years. It’s not as baity as Memories and it only really had moderate success. Still, it might win based off of the names of the artists alone.

But basically: right now it is way too close to call.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

This is just Havana all over again, when y’all claimed that it was undeniable because it was a huge hit and the biggest and it lost to Lady Gaga B-side. Selling a lot doesn’t win you a Grammy.

Then please tell me what “Rain On Me” has going for it that’s going to make it the winner instead. Is it a baity ballad like “Joanne”, “Body and Soul”, “Say Something”, “Shallow”, or the other songs you’ve brought up?

Is it just that it’s a collaboration between two big female artists? Because last I checked “Telephone,” “Beautiful Liar,” “When You Believe,” etc. lost too.

Please enlighten me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

These are not dance pop records. They are labeled as funk/disco. I cant find a dance pop song winning Pop Duo and thats why i dont see it for Rain on Me.

That is a very weak argument my friend, especially when pop music nowadays in the US has basically dropped the whole Dance/EDM trend.

Also Daft Punk are literally a Dance/Electronic duo.

Anyways, I Got A Feeling is probably the most recent house-influenced winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Robinladen
    Topics:

Then please tell me what “Rain On Me” has going for it that’s going to make it the winner instead. Is it a baity ballad like “Joanne”, “Body and Soul”, “Say Something”, “Shallow”, or the other songs you’ve brought up? Is it just that it’s a collaboration between two big female artists? Because last I checked “Telephone,” “Beautiful Liar,” “When You Believe,” etc. lost too. Please enlighten me.

It’s not that ROM has a super strong case, but prior to Exile there was literally no relevant competition.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Darren
    Topics:

It’s not that ROM has a super strong case, but prior to Exile there was literally no relevant competition.

“Memories” is literally right there. How is the biggest duo/group/collaborative song of this eligibility window by a 3x Grammy winning band not relevant competition?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Then please tell me what “Rain On Me” has going for it that’s going to make it the winner instead. Is it a baity ballad like “Joanne”, “Body and Soul”, “Say Something”, “Shallow”, or the other songs you’ve brought up?

Is it just that it’s a collaboration between two big female artists? Because last I checked “Telephone,” “Beautiful Liar,” “When You Believe,” etc. lost too.

Please enlighten me.

Lady Gaga having a great track record in pop and recent wins (against an even-bigger Maroon 5 song, may I add); Ariana having a decent pop history, enough to get her filler nods (also winning against Taylor, may I add). Their names together will probably be a good sell, especially since the competition is Justin Bieber and Maroon 5, both of which have a spotty history at best.

Rain On Me is still hit, albeit not as big as Intentions or Memories (even though having the biggest hit has helped a total amount of 3 songa), it has a throwback sound which pop voters seem to be really into (see Feel It Still, Get Lucky, Uptown Funk).

We’ve also seen time and time again that pop voters rather vote for namechecks when the year is weak, and both Ariana and Gaga are bigger namechecks than Maroon 5 and Justin Bieber. So there’s that.

If you’re gonna predict Memories because it’s big, then why not go with Intentions too?

Here’s my ranking:
    1. ROM
    2. exile

3. Memories
    4. Intentions

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Robinladen
    Topics:

These are not dance pop records. They are labeled as funk/disco. I cant find a dance pop song winning Pop Duo and thats why i dont see it for Rain on Me.

Eh, usually dance popcollabs would just be a DJ with just one vocalist. Or maybe one with a rent-a-rapper. There’s not really a dance collab that ROM would compare to.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

“Memories” is literally right there. How is the biggest duo/group/collaborative song of this eligibility window by a 3x Grammy winning band not relevant competition?

Funny enough this was the same narrative they had in 2018.

Also good to point out they won those Grammy’s 10 years ago.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Robinladen
    Topics:

Maroon 5 is honestly One Direction type of boyband level music at this moment. Their music lacks any originality and could be used as a defining example if you ever needed to explain the word “generic” to anyone. They’re not what they were with their debut and they will never win a Grammy again. They’re simply not respected enough anymore.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Regina
    Topics:

Honey, correction: Taylor Swift is a thirsty girl for recruiting AOTY nominated artist Bon Iver.  She’s so desperate for the Grammy.  #PeriodT

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Boz
    Topics:

Again, this is just Havana 2.0.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    rue
    Topics:

Again, much of what the Pop Field relies on is hype. It comes down to the artists and songs that feel the biggest during voting. No matter how big the charts say Memories was, it felt like such a non-event compared to ROM. More people are aware of ROM and that is was a hit, even if Memories was technically bigger. There are other factors of course, such as baitiness, to consider but Memories and ROM would both be primarily relying on how big they were to justify a win. I think ROM feels bigger so I think it’s ahead of Memories.

This whole category is very messy though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Mr.Simons
    Topics:

Memories is forgotten at the moment and Maroon 5 already dropped a new single. Exile is released close to eligibilty window and it is the most baity of all. I think it stands out.

FYC Grammys 2021

Folklore: AOTY, Pop Vocal Album
    Cardigan: SOTY, ROTY, BPSP, BMV
    Exile: BPDP
    Betty: Best Country Song
    Miss Americana: Best Music Film
    Only the Young: Best Song Written for Visual Media

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Mr.Simons
    Topics:

Honey, correction: Taylor Swift is a thirsty girl for recruiting AOTY nominated artist Bon Iver. She’s so desperate for the Grammy. #PeriodT

The Grammys dont care if you are desperate. It is basically a PR, popularity and hype game to win these trophies.

FYC Grammys 2021

Folklore: AOTY, Pop Vocal Album
    Cardigan: SOTY, ROTY, BPSP, BMV
    Exile: BPDP
    Betty: Best Country Song
    Miss Americana: Best Music Film
    Only the Young: Best Song Written for Visual Media

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 526 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.