Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy predictions: Album of the Year (Part 13)

2021 Grammy predictions: Album of the Year (Part 13)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 774 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Lemon
Miss Americana
borisy
  • Profile picture
    epiphany
    Topics:

Forgive me, I’m new here but how you add gifs to your replies?

Press insert/edit image button and then, paste the image URL into source column and press okay. It’s done

For you consideration :

Album of the year : folklore
    Record of the year : Don't Start Now
    Song of the year : cardigan
    Best new artist : Phoebe Bridgers

Best pop vocal album : folklore
    Best rap album : Alfredo
    Best alternative music album : Fetch the Bolt Cutters
    Best progressive R&B album : Ungodly Hour

Profile picture
    Noah Sims
    Topics:

Remember when people said before the nomination that Grammy would ride so hard on BLM to the point they would block any threat for black artist to win AOTY but here we are.

who said that? I don’t expect an award show as corrupt as the Grammys to succumb to social and political movements. As far as I remember, the Grammys have always played it safe and would rather continue to do so to avoid any controversy even though they follow their own POLITICS to dictate their winners, performances etc. Like Drake said it’s about time we reconsider the Grammys from being the highest form of recognition for music.

Profile picture
    Noah Sims
    Topics:

Also what the heck does “progressive R&B” even mean? The Grammys fail to realize the issue which wasn’t necessarily about the term “urban” but more so about black artists who deserve to be represented in pop categories being subjected to and boxed into r&b related categories only

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

Insider : Here’s who should win album of the year at the 2021 Grammy Awards 08. “Everyday Life” – Coldplay 07. “Djesse Vol. 3” – Jacob Collier 06. “Hollywood’s Bleeding” – Post Malone 05. “Women in Music Pt. III” – HAIM 04. “Black Pumas (Deluxe)” – Black Pumas 03. “Chilombo” – Jhené Aiko 02. “Future Nostalgia” – Dua Lipa 01. “folklore” – Taylor Swift

However, the Grammys do aim to reflect the current musical climate, and it’s difficult to justify Collier’s presence in this category when artists like Fiona Apple and The Weeknd were snubbed.

It may also be important to note that Collier’s mentor is producer Quincy Jones, the most-nominated artist in Grammys history (tied with Jay-Z) and second-most awarded with 28 wins, including album of the year in 1991.

As Billboard notes, this likely gave Collier an “in” with the Recording Academy, despite his relative lack of chart success and acclaim. (He doesn’t even have any Pitchfork reviews, which is my go-to source for obscure music praise.)

All this to say: Collier does not deserve to win album of the year, neither in terms of quality nor historical resonance. It’s a wonder he was even nominated.

Interesting observation.

Profile picture
    epiphany
    Topics:

who said that? I don’t expect an award show as corrupt as the Grammys to succumb to social and political movements. As far as I remember, the Grammys have always played it safe and would rather continue to do so to avoid any controversy even though they follow their own POLITICS to dictate their winners, performances etc. Like Drake said it’s about time we reconsider the Grammys from being the highest form of recognition for music.

You must be missing the train, go check all previous threads.

For you consideration :

Profile picture
    epiphany
    Topics:

All this to say: Collier does not deserve to win album of the year, neither in terms of quality nor historical resonance. It’s a wonder he was even nominated. Interesting observation.

He and Black Pumas obviously BRP’s choice.

For you consideration :

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

BRP Driven choices

1. Jacob Collier

2. BlackPumas

3. Coldplay

All the other options were kinda expected, even Chilombo, an album that has moved almost 1 Million units in USA this year is no shocker.

Profile picture
    River
    Topics:

Imagine the Grammys choosing Folklore to win AOTY after being called out by major mainstream artists like The Weeknd and Drake for being corrupt so that Taylor, America’s sweetheart and darling, can win AOTY not for a SECOND time but for a THIRD time. Yeah…not happening.

You just said that. Lol

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

You guys should really listen to these nominated works by yourself.

Besides Black Puma, which I predicted before announcement, I’m glad to find these great music and artists. I never like Fetch the Bolt Cutter or After Hours (except Blinding Lights and In Your Eyes) so this category is actually fine with me. Still happy for my Black Pumas!😆😆

They’re like H.E.R. and Brandi Carlile in 2019 or Tanya Tucker in 2020…… amazing music with little popularity before being nominated.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

After listening to all of them, I must say they,except Coldplay,all deserved their nominations.

I think Folklore will easily win, but my favorite ones are FN and Black Pumas.

Happy to find Jacob Collier’s music btw! It’s so good.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    Lemon
    Topics:

Business Insider said that folklore’s downfall is epiphany and future’s nostalgia’s only downfall is that Taylor released her best work this year. they’re clearly UNHINGED or what 😭

Profile picture
    Alexandra
    Topics:

Imagine the Grammys choosing Folklore to win AOTY after being called out by major mainstream artists like The Weeknd and Drake for being corrupt so that Taylor, America’s sweetheart and darling, can win AOTY not for a SECOND time but for a THIRD time. Yeah…not happening.

The Grammy voters don’t care… they are going to vote for who they want to (look at the nominations this year..) Folklore checks literally all the boxes (acclaim, success, cross appeal into many genres), even the narrative (an album made in quarantine). Sometimes the obvious answer is the correct one. Even the haters on Twitter know she has it.

Profile picture
    epiphany
    Topics:

I hope Taylor gets AOTY but I don’t mind if the award goes to Dula Peep. Both folklore and Future Nostalgia surely will end up as definitive album of 2020s, they will slay decade end lists.

For you consideration :

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

Only moriahface, Cybersomething and 2-3 other people will be annoyed if Taylor wins her well-deserved third AOTY. The public will applaud the choice, since it is the album that people chose to listen and buy in 2020, among the nominees.

Profile picture
    Final2
    Topics:

I personally believe one of the main reasons The Weeknd was block was for a easy Taylor win. She’ll have 3/4th of the pop vote, the alternative vote, the country vote, and will probably manage a chunk of the rock vote from HAIM. The album has so many different boxes to check. She’s also a proven winner against well respected artist like Beyoncé, Gaga, and Kendrick Lamar.

I just find it funny her best album got zero wins and now it’s considered one of the best albums ever.

Viewing 15 posts - 631 through 645 (of 774 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy predictions: Album of the Year (Part 13)’ is closed to new replies.