Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Predictions: Album of the Year (Part 14)

2021 Grammy Predictions: Album of the Year (Part 14)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 588 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Jerry
ciguanaba
Vicennn
  • Profile picture
    Breathe
    Topics:

It’s crazy because Lizzo, for example, submitted Truth Hurts in best rap/sung performance but the rap committee moved to pop and no genre confusion of the song hurt it from being nominated and winning pop solo performance.

The same thing with Old Town Road, people say it is a country song, others say it is a rap song, but the song was submitted in pop and was nominated and won.

So it is crazy to imagine that Blinding Lights was snubbed because there is no genre confusion in the song for it not to be nominated, it’s just a pop song like “Can’t Feel My Face”. I understand AH’s snub, I just don’t understand the song.

Profile picture
    LawC
    Topics:

I can’t feel too bad over BEYONCÉ’s loss, cause sure, it would’ve been a good winner, but the fact that it even lost to Pharrell Williams’ GIRL in its genre category shows me that the academy voters didn’t really vibe with it that much.

So even without Beck, the award might have very well gone to someone else, and not Beyoncé.

For all we know, BEYONCÉ was 3rd in AOTY, behind GIRL. Maybe even 4th if Sam Smith’s In The Lonely Hour was above her too, which isn’t too unlikely considering he won 3 of the 4 GF categories.
    So all in all, the album simply didn’t seem to be that strong of a contender.

The opposite is the case with Lemonade, where I think she was definitely behind Adele (with a huge gap tho, cause duh, it’s Adele), so she would’ve won without 25 in contention imo.

Profile picture
    Noah Sims
    Topics:

I can’t feel too bad over BEYONCÉ’s loss, cause sure, it would’ve been a good winner, but the fact that it even lost to Pharrell Williams’ GIRL in its genre category shows me that the academy voters didn’t really vibe with it. So even without Beck, the award might have gone to someone else, and not Beyoncé. For all we know, BEYONCÉ was 3rd in AOTY, behind Pharrell. Maybe even 4th if Sam Smith was above her too, which isn’t too unlikely considering he won 3 of the 4 GF categories. So all in all, the album simply didn’t seem to be that strong of a contender. The opposite is the case with Lemonade, where I think she was definitely behind Adele (with a huge gap tho, cause duh, it’s Adele), so she would’ve won without 25 in contention imo.

it would have been more deserving for her to win for Lemonade over 25. 25 was undoubtedly a commercial success. But it was nothing groundbreaking and that was the main criticism about it. But Lemonade will forever be an iconic album and era. Truly a masterpiece.

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

I think the genre confusion would have been for After Hours. “Blinding Lights” is unarguably a pop song.

Profile picture
    Noah Sims
    Topics:

I think the genre confusion would have been for After Hours. “Blinding Lights” is unarguably a pop song.

maybe so but he still deserved general field nominations

Profile picture
    wilfredpickles
    Topics:

I just don’t understand the constant snubs for rap artists in general fields. Doesn’t make sense. Particularly, black artists.

At least since the system changed, I’ve become convinced that BRP doesn’t like nominating rap in AOTY because you need fewer votes to win in a field of 8. Look at Igor last year, which definitely would’ve been competitive.

Before that, if they wanted to appear inclusive then they’d usually just put multiple albums in AOTY to split votes, like in 2018/2019. You could even argue that 2015 was an example of this with Urban Contemporary by putting Pharrell against Beyonce.

Profile picture
    alex
    Topics:

i defo agree Lemonade should have won AOTY. i just don’t understand why they let one artist sweep the three main categories.

Profile picture
    alex
    Topics:

well who would’ve predicted that the only artist who has the chance to sweep the 3 main categories is Dua Lipa. Imagine if she sweeps every nomination. She is 100% in her Grammy record after all

Profile picture
    Vicennn
    Topics:

I strongly predict SOTY for Taylor

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

Dua was underestimated, she literally knocked out Harry and The Weeknd from AOTY and left a Post Malone out of Pop categories. Actually she is the only artist in AOTY/SOTY/ROTY also appearing in all pop categories. I think Taylor has the edge of winning, but Dua shouldn’t be underestimated.

Profile picture
    rue
    Topics:

Lemme pray for a ROTY and SOTY split between cardigan and Don’t Start Now🙏

FYC:

Taylor Swift- AOTY, SOTY, Pop Duo/Group Performance, Pop Vocal Album

Phoebe Bridgers- BNA, Rock Song, Rock Performance, Alternative Album

Dua Lipa- ROTY, Pop Solo Performance

Chloe x Halle- Traditional R&B Performance, R&B Song, Progressive R&B Album

Profile picture
    alex
    Topics:

tbh i really want taylor to win something but i have a feeling dua might block her in every category i’m scared of her now lmao

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

If Dua starts winning the pop categories during Grammys night telecast, before we go to GF😭. After the noms day debacle, you can’t tell what’s going on in voters heads.

Profile picture
    gold rush
    Topics:

Dua has the latino Voters. I mean Un Día was nominated.

Congratulations Taylor Swift on 6 Grammy Nominations
    Album of the Year: folklore
    Song of the Year: cardigan
    Pop Solo Performance: cardigan
    Pop Duo/Group Performance: exile feat. Bon Iver
    Pop Vocal Album: folklore
    Song Written for Visual Media: Beautiful Ghosts

Profile picture
    LawC
    Topics:

Dua really shouldn’t be underestimated.

Her winning BNA is still so impressive to me considering how low her profile & celebrity still was two years ago and how she only had one other nomination (and won that too!), which wasn’t even in the pop field.

With the exception of Pop Duo/Group Performance, I think she’ll actually win all her categories. She just feels like the current It-girl of the Grammys to me.
    Plus if the last few years have thought me something, it’s that Grammy voters love their GF sweeps, and Dua is in a prime position to pull one off.
    I see her going 5/6 on Jan. 31

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 588 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Predictions: Album of the Year (Part 14)’ is closed to new replies.