Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Predictions: Album of the Year (Part 15)

2021 Grammy Predictions: Album of the Year (Part 15)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 643 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
ciguanaba
Miss Americana
gold rush
  • Profile picture
    Steve johnson
    Topics:

I think these discussions show why AOTY is a stretch for Future Nostalgia; it doesn’t necessarily matter if Dua isn’t the best songwriter, but what DOES make FN matter as *the* album of 2020? To be fair, I don’t know the BRP could answer that for any Mainstream act pushed across multiple categories, despite ignoring other (bigger) albums/songs. Future Nostalgia had a mediocre run, despite heavy Radio/Spotify promo. It never hit #1 on BB200/only 1 Top 10 on BB100. Those are weak stats in BPVA, let alone AOTY. Thank U, Next had the performance expected of a Mainstream act with GF noms (#1 on BB200, 1-1-2 on BB100) and still missed SOTY for a #1 hit / 0-6 in wins. Yet, here we are, with FN (2-60-13-20) and Folklore (1 single; #1, 14 wks total) as front-runners, and After Hours / Fine Line shut out. I’m not sure who should win, but FN would be 1 of the weaker Pop winners. As stated, it’s the BRP’s decision to allow underwhelming commercial acts to dominate I have a problem with, not Dua. After Hours for FN (AOTY), Blinding Lights for Everything I Wanted (ROTY), and Adore You for DSN (SOTY) would’ve been a fairer representation of 2020, IMO.

Folklore and Future nostalgia were the best albums of 2020.

Profile picture
    borisy
    Topics:

I think these discussions show why AOTY is a stretch for Future Nostalgia; it doesn’t necessarily matter if Dua isn’t the best songwriter, but what DOES make FN matter as *the* album of 2020? To be fair, I don’t know the BRP could answer that for any Mainstream act pushed across multiple categories, despite ignoring other (bigger) albums/songs. Future Nostalgia had a mediocre run, despite heavy Radio/Spotify promo. It never hit #1 on BB200/only 1 Top 10 on BB100. Those are weak stats in BPVA, let alone AOTY. Thank U, Next had the performance expected of a Mainstream act with GF noms (#1 on BB200, 1-1-2 on BB100) and still missed SOTY for a #1 hit / 0-6 in wins. Yet, here we are, with FN (2-60-13-20) and Folklore (1 single; #1, 14 wks total) as front-runners, and After Hours / Fine Line shut out. I’m not sure who should win, but FN would be 1 of the weaker Pop winners. As stated, it’s the BRP’s decision to allow underwhelming commercial acts to dominate I have a problem with, not Dua. After Hours for FN (AOTY), Blinding Lights for Everything I Wanted (ROTY), and Adore You for DSN (SOTY) would’ve been a fairer representation of 2020, IMO.

its the Grammys not Billboard music awards

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

Have a look at what albums are dominating YE lists from critics and you will right away understand why Folklore and Future Nostalgia were chosen and After Hours and Fine were totally shut out from GF. These 2 are the only commercial releases in the top 10 so far (Post has the spot given to the most successful album of the eligibility period btw)

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/list/summary/2020/

Profile picture
    PSALMS🌕
    Topics:

Can anyone see a situation where Dua wins Pop Vocal and Taylor wins AOTY? I mean Dua has the commercial pop appeal and Taylor is much rootsier and bare.  Also, there is now no excuse to put pop albums in Alternative Album when Folklore is literally right there. MAGDALENE deserved to be here.  

RIP SOPHIE

9/10
    HEAUX TALES EP
    WINDSWEPT ADAN
    STARTING OVER
    FOR THE FIRST TIME
    VISIONS OF BODIES BEING BURNED

Profile picture
    musiccisum
    Topics:

Folklore and Future nostalgia were the best albums of 2020 along woth their commercial success. Fine line and after hours weren’t.

how can you state this as if it’s a fact? there is no best album, it’s all subjective and based on the things you measure the „best album“ on.

Profile picture
    Lemon
    Topics:

Can anyone see a situation where Dua wins Pop Vocal and Taylor wins AOTY? I mean Dua has the commercial pop appeal and Taylor is much rootsier and bare. Also, there is now no excuse to put pop albums in Alternative Album when Folklore is literally right there. MAGDALENE deserved to be here.

Whoever takes BPVA will take the AOTY. It’s been happening for some time now but it seems even more probable this year

Profile picture
    musiccisum
    Topics:

Have a look at what albums are dominating YE lists from critics and you will right away understand why Folklore and Future Nostalgia were chosen and After Hours and Fine were totally shut out from GF. These 2 are the only commercial releases in the top 10 so far (Post has the spot given to the most successful album of the eligibility period btw) https://www.albumoftheyear.org/list/summary/2020/

not that I would expect fine line in the top 10s but tbf as a december release it‘s not represented in either 2019 nor most 2020 lists

Profile picture
    joesilver
    Topics:

Have a look at what albums are dominating YE lists from critics and you will right away understand why Folklore and Future Nostalgia were chosen and After Hours and Fine were totally shut out from GF. These 2 are the only commercial releases in the top 10 so far (Post has the spot given to the most successful album of the eligibility period btw)

https://www.albumoftheyear.org/list/summary/2020/

Coldplay, Jhene Aiko, Black Pumas and Jacob Collier are nowhere to be found on any of these lists (2019 or 2020)

At least After Hours is top 20 on the album list and Blinding Lights top 5 on the songs list so they don’t have any excuse for that snub.

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

Coldplay, Jhene Aiko, Black Pumas and Jacob Collier are nowhere to be found on any of these lists (2019 or 2020) At least After Hours is top 20 on the album list and Blinding Lights top 5 on the songs list so they don’t have any excuse for that snub.

There was no space for After Hours

1. Hollywood’s Bleeding(most successful album)

2. Folklore(most acclaimed choice from pop vocal)

3. Future Nostlagia (most acclaimed choice from pop vocal)

4. Chilombo (RnB representative)

5. Djesse Vol. 3 (Grammy elitist spot/ instrumentalists/ producers pick)

6. Black Pumas (BLM pick ?)

7. HAIM (Committee pick, as highly acclaimed choice, it could be Fiona here, that would be the correct)

8. Coldplay (Music veteran spot)

Profile picture
    grandeswiftknowles
    Topics:

Which Black Pumas song is related to BLM again? Or are we just saying black artists only get nominated because of BLM? Sorry, just trying to keep up here.

! The claim in this post is disputed

Profile picture
    musiccisum
    Topics:

future nostalgia could have easily been replaced by after hours. you guys behave as if after hours was panned and fn the most acclaimed ever lol

Profile picture
    Miss Americana
    Topics:

Which Black Pumas song is related to BLM again? Or are we just saying black artists only get nominated because of BLM? Sorry, just trying to keep up here.

The song colors is about inclusiveness in the society. BP don’t have a politically charged album, but their choice here makes sense, because they are respected by the academy. Personnally, I find The issue with deluxe albums being nominated kinda weird, but since the album is good I won’t complain.

Profile picture
    PSALMS🌕
    Topics:

i stopped watching when he said HAIM and Black pumas were some of the worst album nominees of all time. He’s clearly salty and biased. Y’all know damn well this wouldn’t be happening had Abel been nominated, even though there is still riggery going on.

PREACH! I love HAIM & I didn’t listen to the Black Pumas record fully, but I agree with him, they are not the best albums of the year. Even there were other records that would be better AOTY nominees than Jhené Aiko and Coldplay. I think Abel was a snub, but there were other albums in contention that are just SO overlooked.

Pop: Rina Sawayama, Charli XCX, Jessie Ware

Rock: The Strokes, Code Orange, Poppy, Brittany Howard, FIONA FREAKING APPLE, Phoebe Bridgers, 

Country/Americana/Folk: Bob Dylan, The Highwomen, The Chicks, Jason Isbell, Laura Maring

Latin: Bad Bunny, Lido Pimienta, Natalia Lafourcade

R&B: Chloe x Halle, Summer Walker, Lianne La Havas, Thundercat

Rap: Pop Smoke, Polo G, RTJ, Freddie Gibbs & The Alchemist, Megan Thee Stallion, RODDY FUCKING RICCH! 

RIP SOPHIE

9/10
    HEAUX TALES EP
    WINDSWEPT ADAN
    STARTING OVER
    FOR THE FIRST TIME
    VISIONS OF BODIES BEING BURNED

Profile picture
    NotAStan
    Topics:

future nostalgia could have easily been replaced by after hours. you guys behave as if after hours was panned and fn the most acclaimed ever lol

Yes, but it didn’t. Let it go.

After Hours is not an AOTY nominated album and this is a prediction thread for the NOMINATED albums to be discussed and predicted.

Also, it doesn’t matter who got nominated because the truth is that there were more than 8 excellent albums to choose from. They were never going to get it right 100%.

These are people, just like us, who resonate with certain types of music more than others. Dua and Taylor came out victors from the BRP session, and in my opinion they’re worthy. Just like Jhene, Black Pumas, Jacob, Post Malone, etc.

Profile picture
    Usher
    Topics:

Honey, an album does NOT need to be widely acclaimed to receive an Album of the Year nomination (see Katy Perry, Mumford & Sons, etc.).  Duh!

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 643 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Predictions: Album of the Year (Part 15)’ is closed to new replies.