Home Forums Music 2021 Grammy Predictions: Album of the Year (Part 15)

2021 Grammy Predictions: Album of the Year (Part 15)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 643 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
ciguanaba
Miss Americana
gold rush
  • Profile picture
    musiccisum
    Topics:

Yes, but it didn’t. Let it go. After Hours is not an AOTY nominated album and this is a prediction thread for the NOMINATED albums to be discussed and predicted.

don‘t @ me but the people who started bringing it up again, I just respondend to a post, thank you:)

Profile picture
    Vicennn
    Topics:

@theweeknd was @iHeartRadio’s #1 most played artist in 2020.

@DUALIPA was @iHeartRadio’s #1 most played female artist in 2020.

the presence

Profile picture
    MG
    Topics:

I think these discussions show why AOTY is a stretch for Future Nostalgia; it doesn’t necessarily matter if Dua isn’t the best songwriter, but what DOES make FN matter as *the* album of 2020? To be fair, I don’t know the BRP could answer that for any Mainstream act pushed across multiple categories, despite ignoring other (bigger) albums/songs.

Future Nostalgia had a mediocre run, despite heavy Radio/Spotify promo. It never hit #1 on BB200/only 1 Top 10 on BB100. Those are weak stats in BPVA, let alone AOTY.

Thank U, Next had the performance expected of a Mainstream act with GF noms (#1 on BB200, 1-1-2 on BB100) and still missed SOTY for a #1 hit / 0-6 in wins. Yet, here we are, with FN (2-60-13-20) and Folklore (1 single; #1, 14 wks total) as front-runners, and After Hours / Fine Line shut out.

I’m not sure who should win, but FN would be 1 of the weaker Pop winners. As stated, it’s the BRP’s decision to allow underwhelming commercial acts to dominate I have a problem with, not Dua. After Hours for FN (AOTY), Blinding Lights for Everything I Wanted (ROTY), and Adore You for DSN (SOTY) would’ve been a fairer representation of 2020, IMO.

No offense, but to me this seems like another attempt to degrade Dua Lipa and Future Nostalgia to try to lift another albums chances. I don’t think I’ve seen anyone say that Dua Lipa is a great songwriter. The Future Nostalgia and After Hours era were the 2 strongest and biggest eras of 2020. Future Nostalgia is an incredible pop album that helped start the nostalgic sound of 2020. It was innovative, it was fresh it was different than Dua’s first LP. Future Nostalgia did not have a mediocre run. Every music video that Dua Lipa has released is great. She’s had 3 hits so far from the era. And the fact that the album is nearly 10 months old now and its singles are still being played on radio is a great achievement of longevity even if the album didn’t sell as good as some hoped in the U.S.

I don’t think anyone in Pop Music right now has achieved what Dua has done this 2020. To me, Longevity is worth far more than having a #1. The charts this year has been a mess lately and half of the songs that went #1 became unsuccessful. Her campaign is incredible, probably the best and most vigorous campaign I’ve ever seen since Kacey Musgraves in 2018. She’s delivered great performances at every show she’s attended. It’s a great album that absolutely deserves to win AOTY and has a very strong chance of doing so. Both Folklore and Future Nostalgia are so close, It’s impossible to predict from an objective point of view (Which is what I feel lot of people on these forums are missing).

Profile picture
    Jerry
    Topics:

I actually think it’s true that Future Nostalgia as an era put next to 1989/WWAFAWDWG too often. It is a moderately successful album with well promoted singles. One smash hit, and a few moderately successful slow burn hits. Doesn’t mean that it wasn’t rightfully a successful era but I think it’s comparable to Teenage Dream with more acclaim. Really popular hits, not as known deep cuts. I do think that folklore is stronger frontrunner than some of these threads make it out to be. It didn’t have a smash hit connected to it but it has moved 2 MILLION units (within the top 4 best selling albums of the year). Future Nostalgia as an album is simply not as strong as folklore charts wise. Sort of like how cardigan was simply not as big as Future Nostalgia’s singles. Which is why I think DSN is the front runner in nearly all of it’s categories, while folklore is the front runner in all of it’s categories. But then again reputation was technically bigger than Sweetener (but Sweetener was much fresher and current then reputation on the charts for voting.)

Profile picture
    borisy
    Topics:

Stop trying to compare FN others album, makes no sense. it is its own thing

Profile picture
    MarinaBelo2
    Topics:

FN is more comparable to Billie’s album than Billie’s album is comparable to 1989.

And Billie’s album swept the Grammys, something 1989 didn’t do. Same for 24k Magic, it won 7 Grammys, while 21 won 6(SFTTR won for a live rendition). Weaker years, weaker winners.

Saying FN can’t sweep because it moved way less units than albums from previous years isn’t a good point to make.

FN is most likely not winning because Folklore sold much more. That’s its real competition. Mainstream albums don’t lose to less successful mainstream records. That’s why Taylor will win. The worst outcome for her is Dua taking way too much votes from her, and Jhene winning instead.

Profile picture
    River
    Topics:

Future Nostalgia is not comparable to any of the albums mentioned. It didn’t sold well and has only 1 top 10 hit.

Profile picture
    willow
    Topics:

Future Nostalgia is something like Camila’s debut. But tbh Havana and Never be The Same are bigger than Dont Start Now and Break My Heart. And the album moved way more units in US.

Profile picture
    gold rush
    Topics:

Dua Sweeps or Dua goes home empty handed. Which is more likely?

Congratulations Taylor Swift on 6 Grammy Nominations
    Album of the Year: folklore
    Song of the Year: cardigan
    Pop Solo Performance: cardigan
    Pop Duo/Group Performance: exile feat. Bon Iver
    Pop Vocal Album: folklore
    Song Written for Visual Media: Beautiful Ghosts

Profile picture
    Final2
    Topics:

When one of the most critically acclaimed albums is also the most commercially successful album. folklore is going to incredibly hard to beat.

If Taylor wasn’t a previous winner it’d be a no brainer. folklore is everywhere again, trending on Twitter, Disney + docu, and with her re-recorded albums in the news.

Taylor Swift is more than likely wining both Album categories. Less likely would be pop solo and song. Then duo/group. She isn’t winning for catz.

Profile picture
    LawC
    Topics:

Dua sweeps

Profile picture
    MarinaBelo2
    Topics:

Future Nostalgia is not comparable to any of the albums mentioned. It didn’t sold well and has only 1 top 10 hit.

Future Nostalgia is something like Camila’s debut. But tbh Havana and Never be The Same are bigger than Dont Start Now and Break My Heart. And the album moved way more units in US.

Billie’s album only top 10 hit was Bad Guy. And Future Nostalgia is critically acclaimed, unlike Camila’s album that nobody actually cared about and was totally defined by Havana. People even thought Camila was called Havana. FN is way more impactful as an “era” than “Camila”.

Profile picture
    MarinaBelo2
    Topics:

Not really. She has the upper hand in Pop Solo, ROTY and SOTY. There can actually be a split this time with Taylor taking the Album categories and Dua the single ones.

Plus, Taylor isn’t up for ROTY, so even if she sweeps for Cardigan, Dua is probably taking that.

Profile picture
    Ghost
    Topics:

People even thought Camila was called Havana.

LMAO!

Profile picture
    GD
    Topics:

Yall forget that Dua is extremely popular outside the US. The US are not the center of the world. She was the biggest female artist worldwide in 2020. She’s one of the most streamed female artist globally, Don’t Start Now is the most streamed song of the year by a female artist, Future Nostalgia sold nearly 3 million album and have more than 3,8 billion stream only on Spotify. I don’t think the US Billboard is THAT relevant nowadays. Some of the biggest hits never reached the top 5 while some #1 songs have disappeared forever…

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 643 total)

The topic ‘2021 Grammy Predictions: Album of the Year (Part 15)’ is closed to new replies.